Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:34 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:09 pm 
Total Newbie

Hello,

I have acquired a used LinkStation Quad which I have begun to work on using the guides here. My intention is to enable NFS to so that I can use the NAS as storage for an ESXi lab that I am building. Here is what I have done so far:

Gained root access with ACP Commander using http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Open_Stock_Firmware. I also configured SSH to start at boot-up.

Attempted to set up NFS following the guide for the LS-VL (http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Enable_NFS_for_LS-VL) based on the this forum topic http://forum.buffalo.nas-central.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=25667. I know that the LS-QVL and LS-VL use a different processor, but I hadn't seen anything relating directly to the LS-QL (and maybe that is my own failure to use google/forum search)

Installed Optware (as required by the above guide for portmap and e2fslibs). I used these directions: http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Ipkg_on_the_Linkstation_(for_end-users). I also realized that I don't have a ipkg.conf file in /etc or in /opt/etc (the two places that the guide references), though I was able to install ipgk packages, so the file must be somewhere, using whatever defaults it has.

So right now I am a bit stuck. I'm not uncomfortable with Linux, but my knowledge is spotty (I describe it as "knows enough to be dangerous), and I'm a bit out of my element with NFS (I've never set it up before).

Some of the NFS services are starting:

Code:
root@BROKENAS:~# /etc/init.d/nfs.sh status
portmap is running.
mountd is running.
nfsd is NOT running.

But I know that I am missing some critical piece, and need some assistance in identifying and fixing it.

The Linkstation's current firmware is 1.11, according to the Web Interface.

My ideal is just enabling some additional services (NFS, and a Backup service) on the already running system. I am not, however, adverse to starting over with a new firmware to get the features I want.

Any help or suggestions you can provide would be most helpful!

Thanks!

~Merc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:32 pm 

Code:
cat /proc/filesystems

will show you, if your kernel has NFS capabilities.
If not, you will have to use userland NFS via the
Optware package unfsd3.

If there is no verified backup of a dataset, the dataset, by definition, is unimportant. (c't 2012)

RAID (no matter which level) never ever substitutes a backup. (me)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:13 pm 
Total Newbie

Hello,

Here is the output from cat /proc/filesystems:

Code:
root@BROKENAS:~# cat /proc/filesystems
nodev   sysfs
nodev   rootfs
nodev   bdev
nodev   proc
nodev   sockfs
nodev   pipefs
nodev   anon_inodefs
nodev   futexfs
nodev   tmpfs
nodev   inotifyfs
nodev   devpts
        ext3
        ext2
nodev   ramfs
nodev   nfs
nodev   nfs4
nodev   autofs
        xfs
nodev   rpc_pipefs
nodev   usbfs

I see that there is an entry for NFS, and for NFS4, but both are marked "nodev." Does that mean that they are unsupported, or just that there is no mapping for them?

And is there something I can do to fix that, or will I need to use the userland NFS?

Thanks!

~Merc

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:46 pm 

The "nfsd" is missing -> no NFS compiled into the kernel.

If there is no verified backup of a dataset, the dataset, by definition, is unimportant. (c't 2012)

RAID (no matter which level) never ever substitutes a backup. (me)