Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:57 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:03 am 
Total Newbie

I recently purchsed my first Linkstation, the Quad, and wish to install the usenet program SABnzbd on it. From reading the forum and wiki, it seems the easiest way may be to telnet in using acp commander, bootstrap, and install the program. However, I'm having difficulty getting past the first stage. I've installed java runtime and downloaded acp commander, but when I go to the directory and try to run it from the command prompt, I get the following message:

Quote:
C:\Temp>java -jar acp_commander.jar -t 192.168.11.5 -o -addons
Jan 22, 2009 12:46:59 PM java.util.prefs.WindowsPreferences <init>
WARNING: Could not open/create prefs root node Software\JavaSoft\Prefs at root 0
x80000002. Windows RegCreateKeyEx(...) returned error code 5.
ACP_commander out of the nas-central.org (linkstationwiki.net) project.
Used to send ACP-commands to Buffalo linkstation(R) LS-PRO.

WARNING: This is experimental software that might brick your linkstation!

Using random connID value = E214B11B103D
Using target: LS-QL154/192.168.11.5
Starting authentication procedure...
Sending Discover packet...
A SocketTimeoutException usually indicates bad firewall settings.
Check especially for *UDP* port 22936 and make sure that the connection to your
LS is working.
ERROR: Exception: SocketTimeoutException (Receive timed out) [ACP Send/Receive (
Packet:8020 = ACP_Discover)]

Note that I disabled the firewall in advance and even tried port forwarding port 22936, but to no avail.

Any help with this, or alternatively a different way to install SABnzbd on the Quad would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:38 pm 
Developer

The acp_commander doesn't get an answer to the first packet (Discovery) it sends to the LS.

*) Are you able to ping your LS?
*) As there is no version info in the output of the acp_commander I guess you're not using the latest version (see my signature). There I included the functionality that the message is repeated if no answer is received. It seems that in some cases (e.g. "high load") the box doesn't receive the packet or the PC doesn't catch the answer. Unlike the TCP-protocol the UDP used in this case doesn't signal that the receiver actually got the packet. Thus lost packets are not automatically repeated.
*) Do you have a switch in between or do you use a direct connection?
*) Anything else that might "protect" your network connections apart from the firewall (Virus scanner, security suites...)
*) Does the updater see your LS?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:24 am 
Total Newbie

georg,

Thank you for the response! I tried the newer version of ACP commander, and it did indeed work. I was able to use bootstraping to download and install the SABnzbd program.

However, I seem to have run into a jam with accessing the program through the web browser. After installing and doing the first-time run script written on the sabnzbd wiki page, the indications are that its working, but when I then go to <linkstation IP>:8080/sabnzbd/ I couldn't connect. I even tried to use the command in the readme file for changing the port to 8888 or 7777 but still cannot connect to the program. Moreover, now I cannot connect to the built-in bittorrent program which was originally on the 8080 port! Wondering how to resolve.

Once again, any info very appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:32 pm 
Developer

Great it worked that far! Unfortunately I've absolutely no experience with sabnzbd and due to the title of this thread the right person won't look at it. My suggestion for you would be to mark this thread as [solved] and attach to an existing respective open a new one with an appropriate title.

Good luck on your further way. :up:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:48 am 
Total Newbie

I need some help with acp_commander, couse I'm newb :oops:

I run it from terminal:
Code:
intello:~ existenz$ java -jar acp_commander.jar -t 169.254.234.103 -o

Using random connID value = 776ADF543E93
Using target:   169.254.234.103/169.254.234.103
Found:   BIG-QUAD (/169.254.234.103)    LS-QL(NINTOKU) (ID=00640)    mac: 00:1D:73:A5:1A:B0   Firmware=  1.110   Key=5D860E2F
Trying to authenticate EnOneCmd...   ACP_STATE_OK
start telnetd...   
Reset root pwd...   

You can now telnet to your box as user 'root' providing no / an empty password.

then I think the telnet should be enabled
but when I try to log in telnet:
Code:
intello:~ existenz$ telnet 169.254.234.103
Trying 169.254.234.103...
telnet: connect to address 169.254.234.103: Connection refused
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host
intello:~ existenz$

I have non firewall, no router, I connected the nas directly to the computer, but the result is the same every time.

Help :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:29 pm 
Developer

In principle the acp_commander seems to work, maybe telnetd is not found or in the correct place? Unfortunately error messages from the shell are not reported by Buffalos ACP protocol.

Try following commands and post their output (section after passing authentication should be sufficient):

java -jar acp_commander.jar -t 169.254.234.103 -c "ps aux|grep telnetd"
java -jar acp_commander.jar -t 169.254.234.103 -c "which telnetd"

The first one tells us if telnetd is running, the second one where (and if) it is located on your Quad.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:51 pm 
Total Newbie

Hi
Thank you for the help

The first command returns:
Code:
>ps aux|grep telnetd

intello:~ existenz$

The second one:
Code:
>which telnetd

I feel so newb :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:16 pm 
Developer

Well, if you really want to enable telnet you might want to get familiar with shell commands. Google for "linux shell" and the first page of results should give you a good choice to start with. What we do with the -c option is to send shell commands to your box.

Ok, we need to locate your "telnetd". The empty result for the two commands is strange. Let's try something else:

java -jar acp_commander.jar -t 169.254.234.103 -c "ls /"
java -jar acp_commander.jar -t 169.254.234.103 -c "ls -l /etc"
java -jar acp_commander.jar -t 169.254.234.103 -c "ls /usr"
java -jar acp_commander.jar -t 169.254.234.103 -c "ls /usr/sbin"
java -jar acp_commander.jar -t 169.254.234.103 -c "ls -l /usr/sbin/telnetd"

#1 gives us an overview of the root folder
#2 shows the content of /etc where you'll find most settings including the password files, the -l option adds some details
#4 and #5 should include telnetd, #5 might show a symbolic link to busybox. Please note that the length of the acp-packet is limited thus you might see only portions of the complete listings.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:27 am 

There appears to be an issue with the newer firmware. I'm running 1.10 and am having the same problem. I just RMAed my old LS-QL, got the new one and flashed the newest firmware that was on the Buffalo site. My old Quad did the acp_commander thing just fine as did this one when I got it (running 1.04). I get the same kind of output as the OP and, FWIW, I'm linux savvy.

Is there any output, diagnostic or otherwise, that I can provide to help with this? How about downgrading to an earlier firmware version (1.04?)?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:50 am 
Developer

As there is a second thread where the acp_commander doesn't work anymore
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=20739

it'd be interesting to see if it works at all. Could you try if the commands I gave above state any output?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:27 pm 

Georg wrote:
As there is a second thread where the acp_commander doesn't work anymore
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=20739

it'd be interesting to see if it works at all. Could you try if the commands I gave above state any output?
I read through that other thread and I think probably that's what we're dealing with -- that Buffalo changed the format or content of the packets or something similar.

Unfortunately, I'm not near a computer that can access the NAS so I can't post exact results but the ls commands produce no list of any files in the filesystem and all of the output produced when I try to enable telnet matches that of the OP. As soon as I can get to a place where I can access my NAS, I'll post the results.

Does anyone have any of the prior firmware squirreled away so I can downgrade?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:13 am 

Results of my test today (some fields changed to obfuscate my IP and domain). Note that my firewall was turned off. And just to make sure everything was OK, I ran the same sequence against my Linkstation PRO and it worked just fine.

Code:
D:\BuffaloACP_Commander>java -jar acp_commander.jar -t 10.4.1.5 -o
Aug 9, 2009 3:45:17 PM java.util.prefs.WindowsPreferences <init>

Using random connID value = 0A472C8E0CB6
Using target:   xxxxx.yyyyyyy.com/10.4.1.5
Found:  xxxxxxx (/10.4.1.5)      LS-QL(NINTOKU) (ID=00640)       mac: 00:1D:73:A5:0D:BF  Firmware=  1.100     Key=7CB9E198
Trying to authenticate EnOneCmd...      ACP_STATE_OK
start telnetd...
Reset root pwd...

You can now telnet to your box as user 'root' providing no / an empty password.

D:\BuffaloACP_Commander>telnet 10.4.1.5
Connecting To 10.4.1.5...Could not open connection to the host, on port 23: Connect failed

I also tried running ls / and /bin/ls / and go no output. Specifically, I

Code:
>/bin/ls

Note, it just said "ls", not "ls -l" and the response was an empty line.

Think this may be a trend in Buffalo's newer firmware?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:46 pm 

Georg posted over in the Pro/Live forum (viewtopic.php?f=39&t=20785) that he's working on figuring out how to get acp_commander working again but he pointed to http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Firmware_update as a way of getting things working for ourselves. Using that page from the wiki plus http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/How ... _an_initrd, I've managed to pull hddrootfs and initrd apart and am going to see what I can do to modify it slightly and put together a version that will let us SSH into our boxes. If anyone cares to coach me on this, please feel free -- this is my first :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:41 pm 

I've been listeninig to Georg over in the Pro/Live forum and finally managed to get sshd running on my Quad. Here's what I did:

Ran acp_commander like so
Code:
java -jar acp_commander.jar -pw <admin password> -t <quad's IP address> -ip <quad's IP address> -o

(yes, <admin password> is the password you defined for the admin user in the web interface.)

This started up telnet and cleared root's password so I could login via telnet. Don't ask me why but the only way I could get telnet started was by doing it this way and specifying the -ip parameter. Note that I didn't set my Quad's IP address to a NEW IP, I just set it to what it already was but that was the magic. Next, I had to take root out of /etc/ftpusers because that file is referenced in /etc/pam.d/sshd and controls who can login via ssh. I also had to edit /etc/sshd_config because the original specified that the hostkey comes from /etc/apache/server.key which hasn't been created. Oddly, /etc/init.d/sshd.sh creates /etc/{ssh_host_key,ssh_host_rsa_key,ssh_host_dsa_key} if they don't exist. I added sshd.sh to the step3 startup in rcS, restarted the Linkstation and sshd came up fine. I just verified everything's working by logging in via ssh.

Oh, and since acp_commander cleared root's password, I defined a new one. :D

Again, note that this is for Quad firmware 1.10.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:51 pm 
Total Newbie

You star - that got me my telnet access back - Thanks!