Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:06 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:06 pm 

I've seen similar posts, but nothing exactly the same to my situation. My LS Mini was non-responsive but did not flash any error codes. It was in RAID 0. I followed the instructions to restart it (holding down the function key while turning it on). Then, NAS navigator said it was in EM mode. (Still, I had no flashing error lights and could not access the drive via ip address in a browser though NAS navigator could see it.) NAS Navigator said it needed a firmware update (and didn't tell me it would break the file system or 'format' the drive), which I proceeded to do via the remote process. After that was done, I could navigate to the drive in Win Explorer or via http: (site was in Japanese) but all my shares were "missing".

*Insert panic and dramatic music here*

So, then I took apart the drive (and a couple of 2.5 enclosures) and connected the drives to my PC via USB. The drive is not able to be mounted in Windows (it's RAID 0, so that makes sense I think), but I can see it in Disk Management and the partitions are still there and it looks like my 480+ gigs of data are, too, on health partitions.

I tried a couple of programs that supposedly reconstruct virtual raids (runtime product and r-studio) and after many hours, the 100,000s of files they find aren't any good.

*Insert MORE panic and dramatic music here*

Next, I do what I probably should have done at first and read the forums here and elsewhere and find 3 suggestions:
1. go back to the state before I disassembled the drive and re-create the top level shares I had before, which according to some will miraculously rebuild the same file tree. True? I've also read that doing something like that would destroy data, so I'm wary.

2. Go back to the state before I disassembled the drive and FTP into the drive to retrieve the files. This seems less invasive and less likely to delete data. Would I just put the drive on the network and ftp to 192.168.1.3? Do I need to login with the default admin/password combo?

3. Or, should I try this suggestion: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=22396#p140008. I already have the drives taken apart. Can I just run ubuntu from a USB, connect the 2 drives to 2 other USBs, and then move the files to a 4th USB drive once I can see the files? If so, which of the two drives is drive #1 for RAID purposes? (I worry that this was the problem with my earlier attempts using recovery software, which asks which drive is the first drive.) Is the top or the bottom drive the first drive in RAID 0 setup? Will this matter for Ubuntu? As an aside, any tips on how to figure out the order of my USB ports?

I know this is a lot of stuff/options. I really just want to get as much of my data off the drives as possible. Hope I've given you enough background/detail. And thanks for any suggestions you might have.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:45 am 

Can't explain why, but I would not try 1).
For 2) you will need telnet access (or ssh). This method will be the
most reliable one.
For 3) I doubt USB will do. You will need to attach both drives to
the same PC and then assemble the RAID 0 by hand.

If there is no verified backup of a dataset, the dataset, by definition, is unimportant. (c't 2012)

RAID (no matter which level) never ever substitutes a backup. (me)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:36 pm 

Thanks for these suggestions.

Before I try 2), may I ask about 3)? (since I've already got it disassembled)

When you say USB won't do, do you mean connecting the drives by USB or that a Linux USB won't work (a friend suggested it needed to be a live cd version of Ubuntu so it would assign Ada and b to the externals.... Also, I have a Linux box here in the house -though clearly I'm not a super user- so maybe I could just use that?).

When I connect the drives via USB I can see the partitions in drive manager (windows) and the runtime RAID recovery/reconstruct or software can see the partitions, too.

But the software wants me to know certain parameters of the RAID 0 which I can't seem to find in the documentation or online (and the program cant find with its own algorithm). So I guess I'm looking for the default settings for:
Start sector
Block size
Drive order (which is 1?)

BTW, You've got a great community here, esp. compared to the smug snarksville going on at the Buffalo site.

Thanks again for any insights! Michelle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:44 pm 

You definitely need a PC with a Linux running AND you have to be
super user (aka. root).
Do you used "mdadm" for the assembling of the RAID?
I haven't heard before that one needs to know the block size or the
start sector (at least not, if you connect the drives directly and not
via USB) to assemble a RAID with mdadm.
According to a picture on http://www.yamasita.jp, the disk on that side of
the board, where the power switch is located on, is the first disk, as
the connector is named SATA1. On the other side, the connector is
named SATA2.
Is there no information within the user guide of the box?

Be careful with following guides for using mdadm. Sometimes these
guides mix creating and recovering of RAID configurations. Use the
parameter "--assemble" and not "--create".

If there is no verified backup of a dataset, the dataset, by definition, is unimportant. (c't 2012)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:55 pm 

Thanks for these insights. When I said I'm not a super user, I meant I'm not elite, not that I didn't have super user permissions. :p [which just reinforces that I'm not a l33t user]

Thanks also for pointing out that the disk order is printed on the motherboard.... I hadn't even thought to look there, but you're right the "top" disk is SATA 1 and the bottom disk is SATA 2.

I don't have the drives connected directly to the PC's motherboard. I'm using USB to connect them.

What I've tried so far, which doesn't work (just for others that may view this thread later):

1. After connecting the 2 drives via USB to my PC, R-studio and the Runtime.com programs could see the disks mounted via USB but neither could correctly rebuild the RAID 0. They wanted the block size and start sector to reconstruct the RAID. Since I don't have that, I abandoned those programs. [Also, I did try to scan the RAID with the default settings in the runtime program, and it recovered some files, but only the small ones and not the file structure. Larger image files or .pdfs were 'recovered' but not openable.]

I downloaded UFS Explorer Raid Recovery and made images of both disks on another drive (mainly so I wouldn't keep re-scanning the original disks), and it seemed to do a bit better (and with your help, I was more certain about the drive order and the default stripe size 64K).

According to UFS, drive 1 has 4 partitions: EXT2/3/4 (sector 63, ~1 gb), SGI XFS (sector 2008125, ~4.77 GB), unknown partition (sector 12016683, ~1 GB), and SGI XFS (14024808, 458 GB---the one Windows disk manager sees as health with files)
According to UFS, drive 2 has 4 partitions: EXT2/3/4 (sector 63, ~1 gb), SGI XFS (sector 2008125, ~4.77 GB), unknown partition (~1 GB), and *unknown* partition (458 GB---the one Windows disk manager sees as health with files)

When I use UFS to rebuild the RAID0 (using the images), the virtual RAID has 3 partitions listed: EXT2/3/4 (sector 63, ~1 gb), unknown partition (sector 2008125, ~4.77 GB), unknown partition (12016620, ~460 GB). This doesn't look right, though I'm not certain what it should look like, other than I should have closer to 800 GB of data, not 500GB. So now, I'm running "find lost partition" on the Virtual Raid0, and it's only 1/2 way done but has found 2 XFS partitions that are large.... one that's 896GB and one that's 916GB, and I'm wondering if one of these is my pre-format mishap data partition and the other is the 'new' post-mishap partition. UFS is also finding lots of FAT file systems, too. When it finishes, I'm going to see if I can "recover" the files.

2. In the meantime, I also took the 2 original physical drives and reassembled the LS Mini. I reconnected it to my network and turned it on. Lots of blue lights flashing and the navigator couldn't see it. So, I turned it off. Held down the function button, and turned it back on, pushed the function button once, and now it's back on the network: NAS Navigator can see it, and I can browse to 192.168.1.6 and log in. I can also FTP to the drive, too. However, all my shares are still missing (so it's back to the state is was right after the firmware update/format and before I took it apart). [BTW, recreating the root shares does not work for me, though it worked for some others....] I'm ready to try 'telnet'ing or SSHing into the drive as recommended here, but am not sure what to do once I get there. Will that work even though the file system is missing/broken?

3. The thing I haven't tried yet is to use Linux to assemble the RAID (and thanks for the tip about mdadm.... the other instructions say create). I worry that it won't work partly b/c it already has a RAID0, the one the firmware update created. I need it to go back to the earlier one. Or to let me access the old one before the firmware update. I'm starting to suspect that this won't let me do that. How will it assemble the RAID from before and not the broken one it has now?

Thanks again. Most of the detail above is just to document what I have/have not done in case it's of use to others.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:13 am 

You know that your box is running Linux. You could have easily discover
that it uses software RAID.
Why are you messing around with Windows applications to recover your
data?
If you still want to recover the data externally, get a Linux Live CD and
read about mdadm. Read a lot! Then attach the drives to the PC and use
the Live CD to start the system.
Be aware, that the data partition (#4) is formatted with XFS filesystem,
as is the userland partition (#2). Boot partition (#1) is ext2. The swap
partition (#3) is swap.

If you want to try to recover internally, read about acp_commander. Read
a lot, too!
Try to start an interactive session with acp_commander and to lookup, if
the data partition got mounted. If not, look into the log files to see why
it failed. React accordingly.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:47 pm 

Agree with the last post. I recommend taking a step back first. Put the LS mini back together and connect with telnet through acp_commander. You will have access to mdadm, poke around to see if you can get more info about the raid error. You might be lucky and be able to do a repair.

See my old post for hints:

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=22566

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:49 am 

Thanks you two for the suggestions..... I guess I'm just intimidated a bit by Linux, esp since I put myself firmly in the category "knows just enough to be dangerous." I'm a windows user with a tiny bit of Linux experience (installing/setting up a box, installing wifi printer, but not much more). I'm pretty good at following detailed instructions if I know I have the right ones, but I am not sure I understand enough to know which directions are the right ones.

So, I'll do some more reading, then post what I think I'm going to be doing, and then would you mind telling me if I've got the right plan before I start and potentially break something?

Also, I didn't realize that Linux had the capacity to rebuild or correct errors in its own RAID0.... I thought it might just put together the new one, but I'll look for some more info about mdadm and see if I can teach myself what I need to know. Thanks again for your patience and help!
Michelle

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:46 am 
Total Newbie

Dear Peeps,

It is my first minute on here. I know nothing about NAS drives. Nothing about Linux (Except I had a Netbook with it on once and then went back and paid more for a windows version. Linux was brilliantly quick but all my money was in windows software.

Anyway to cut a short story shorter, I have a Buffalo LS-WXL 4TB with two Western Digital 2TB internal drives. One has got so full of Bad sectors it has given in. The NasNavigator 2 says it is running at minimum efficiency ? and occasionally I can see the folders but no files are accessible. I did the normal stuff it was uninitialized (no surprise)

I got in touch with Buffalo and they said to take out the one BAD drive and format it.

So I stuck it on the end of an external SATA adapter via USB to see if I could do it?

You have heard it all before I am sure but when I went to Disk Management in Control Panel etc and saw it, it was there I thought brilliant!!! (My joy lasted about 1 minute)!

Now I have tried Diskpart (lost me completely) and now my next cunning plan is to come here!

My need is simple, I only want to see if I can format it - put it back with the good disk - hope the raid will rebuild - and get all my thousands of music files, photos of my whole life, and all the software that I cleverly backed up to a 4TB / 2TB NAS Raid 5 disk?

Any obvious observations are obligatory and please remember I am in the (Knows NOTHING about Linux or NAS department) and only have a limited knowledge of Microsoft PC's so the old A-B-C would be appreciated.

Thank you (in hope and desperation)

SunnyBoy1957.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:37 am 

Which RAID level did you used?
I don't think you could have used a RAID 5 with two disks.
RAID 0 or RAID 1 is more probable with two disks.
If it was RAID 0, I am sorry to tell you, that most of your
data will be lost (if not all).
If it was RAID 1, you should be able to save all your data
and even be able to insert a new disk and to restore the
RAID.
You are not able to copy the data to another location (read:
a location NOT located on the NAS)?

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 5:45 pm 
Total Newbie

There you go, told you I know nothing!

I have two disks, both are 2.0TB side by side. Western Digital (WD20EARS) SATA 64mb Cache.
(Apparently 1700 spin speed)?

They are named as "Western Digital Caviar Green" (If they WERE caviar, for the weight of them alone I could have bought a bigger NAS drive)!

I have been told by (Clever Department @) Buffalo, that if I can manage to format the overloaded bad sectored drive, I can put it back and have the initial configuration re-built after it's expected 18hrs of chit-chat with the good drive), then it may be possible to pull off the data ASAP. But as we are all aware - "nothing ever goes perfectly".

I suppose it must be RAID 1 then, as I do recall losing half the storage capacity on initial setup when I opted for the safer configuration of "Mirrored Storage".

So, even though I have been looking at Raid Rebuild Software using Imaging Technology (which was a no-goer as I do not have 4TB spare storage on one NAS drive) the safest option is to just purchase a similar r drive and make them friends?

Thank you for taking the time to look and respond to my questions!

SunnyBoy1957

8th May 2012

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:43 pm 

Half the size should point to RAID1.
With RAID1 you should be able to access your data with
only one drive connected.
You should get a separate drive (e.g. USB ) for backup.
RAID never substitutes a valid backup, therefore another
backup drive is mandantory.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:28 pm 
Total Newbie

Okay,

Thank you!

I will re-attach the unit with only one drive in - and PRAY?

Will be back soon to let you know what happened!

SunnyBoy1957