Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 2:46 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: LS Mini not booting
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:33 am 

Hello,

I have been following the tutorial to install Ubuntu on the LS Mini and after rebooting the device (as instructed) it will not boot. After I sent the "reboot; logout" command it turned off and back on and the lights all started flashing. After a minute the blue LinkStation light turned off and remained off. I know that the device was on 192.168.0.9 and there is nothing there now (according to ping and to my routers NAT). I tried .10, .11 and .12 in case it changed but they haven't worked either.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thank you!

James

------ edit --------

If it's any help after running
Code:
arp -an

I get
Code:
? (192.168.0.1) at ##:01:##:1b:##:52 [ether] on eth0
? (192.168.0.9) at <incomplete> on eth0

I don't know if this is good or bad...?

Post subject: Re: LS Mini not booting
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:41 am 

Sorry pal,

It seems you made a mistake. You may follow this tutorial http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Revert_Buffalo_Linkstation_Mini_To_Stock_Firmware to restore the stock kernel and try again. It happened to me as well, don't worry.

PS could you check the fact that your lsmini is a LS-WSGL/R1?

Cheers,
Matyas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:48 am 

Hi Matyas,

Thanks for your reply. It is indeed a LS-WS1.0TGL/R1.

After rereading the tutorial it looks like the mistake was made somewhere here:

Code:
 echo "/dev/sdb2   none      swap   sw,pri=1                     0  0"  >/mnt/lsmini/etc/fstab
 echo "/dev/md13   /         ext3   noatime                      0  0" >>/mnt/lsmini/etc/fstab
 echo "/dev/md11   /boot     ext3   noatime                      0  0" >>/mnt/lsmini/etc/fstab
 echo "/dev/md14   /srv      ext3   noatime                      0  0" >>/mnt/lsmini/etc/fstab
 echo "shm         /dev/shm  tmpfs  noatime,nodev,nosuid,noexec  0  0" >>/mnt/lsmini/etc/fstab

Based on the warning before as it describes what's happening, I think. But I guess there's no way of telling exactly what the cause was.
Guess it's time to restore and start from scratch!

Thanks!

James

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:22 pm 

good call.

After every "echo" step I verify the created files with cat (no double entries, etc.). Eventually you can fix them with the "vi" text editor.

For example:
Code:
echo "/dev/sdb2   none      swap   sw,pri=1                     0  0"  >/mnt/lsmini/etc/fstab
echo "/dev/md13   /         ext3   noatime                      0  0" >>/mnt/lsmini/etc/fstab
echo "/dev/md11   /boot     ext3   noatime                      0  0" >>/mnt/lsmini/etc/fstab
echo "/dev/md14   /srv      ext3   noatime                      0  0" >>/mnt/lsmini/etc/fstab
echo "shm         /dev/shm  tmpfs  noatime,nodev,nosuid,noexec  0  0" >>/mnt/lsmini/etc/fstab

Then
Code:
cat /mnt/lsmini/etc/fstab

This will output the fstab file. If you spot a mistake, an error or a double entry then you can use vi to fix it.
Code:
sudo vi /mnt/lsmini/etc/fstab

Beware that vi is not super newbie friendly but very efficient. Refer to one of the many online guides to understand its functioning.

Cheers
Matyas

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:33 am 

Thanks again for your reply, however, I don't know if it will be possible to get back to that state. I am currently trying to revert to stock firmware and not having much luck....

Would you mind telling me if I have made any mistakes?

I successfully disassembled the device, removed the drives carefully, connected them to my desktop while turned out, booted to the Ubuntu Live disk, and ran the commands. I ran (replacing sda and sdb with sde and sdc)

Code:
swapoff -a
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sde bs=512 count=1
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdc bs=512 count=1
sync

I got a message after the first dd command that said that count wasn't an option, but it worked for sdc. is this an issue?

After this i downloaded the files and ran TFTPBoot.exe as instructed.
Going through the boot everything worked until
Code:
8. Press function button when red light starts flashing (repeat until red light stops flashing)

since the red light never comes on. It seems to be rebooting itself.
My PC also doesn't display any messages in the TFTPBoot.exe box.

Thanks again!

James

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:13 pm 

The lsmini boots into recovery mode if no MBR (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_boot_record) is present on the disk.

Since I have a mac, I just repartition the disk in a legacy apple format (see the options in disk utility/partition/option/apple disk format). if you have a windows computer, you could try a GUID scheme for the disks, but I have not checked that trick myself.

What computer do you have?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:07 pm 

It's a custom build running Win7 and Ubuntu 11.10 and I have been running everything for this from a 10.04 Live disk as the tutorials say I should.

I thought by running
Code:
swapoff -a
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=512 count=1
sync

I deleted the MBR so it should boot in recovery mode, right? Is there a possibility I did that wrong too? haha

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:56 pm 

Who knows...but deleting the MBR is fundamental. Try again the proposed method or the GUID. But based on the GUID description, I am not sure that a GUID formatting is sufficient (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table).

you could:
1) connect the drives
2) format them
3) delete the MBR
4) reinsert the drives and start from the booting section

and post the result.

Now, you are wonder if the effort is worth it... My reply is: depends on what you will make of it. In my case it is running great, with IPv6 and it offers native mac services (no hacks like the ones present in the Buffalo firmware) and a private weather station (I compiled a custom kernel with a script found in this forum section adding serial support and IPv6). You could have a iTunes (firefly) server, torrent, an updated samba, etc...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:02 am 

I was able to delete the MBRs and get it into recovery!

I ran TFTP and the device got the images.

I ran LSUpdater and it found the device and started formatting. Just at the end it said it failed to format the device and then couldn't find a device that needs updating. It is showing up in my router's NAT at 192.168.11.7 but there is nothing at that address.

I eventually turned it off and back on again and the red light started flashing straight away so I ran the TFTP again and LSUpdater again and everything worked until the formatting failed again.

I'll try again and let you know. Thanks again for your assistance! It's really appreciated!

In terms of whether it's worth it, I think it so. I do have a couple uses for it, mostly file server, torrent management and - best of all - I'll finally be able to use WOL over the internet. This will be a huge electricity power saver for me.

That idea about the weather station was really interesting! There seem to be many, many uses for it imo.

------------------------ EDIT ------------------------------

I tried this two or three more times and sometimes it's quicker but it always seems to fail when formatting.....

Code:
Failed to formatting. (0xFFFFFFFE)
Updating is aborted.

Sometimes it fails within 10sec, sometimes after a couple min, right at the end. No consistency.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:58 am 

Quote:
I'll finally be able to use WOL over the internet

How?
It is not possible.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:16 pm 

oxygen8 wrote:
Quote:
I'll finally be able to use WOL over the internet

How?
It is not possible.

It's been a while since I thought about it and I obviously haven't been able to test it, but from what I can remember it's just a case of writing one script to ssh to the lsmini and send a packet from there. I know there are other ways of doing it (I think one involves Dropbox somehow) but I think this is the simplest solution.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but in my mind I don't see why this wouldn't work.

Update:

Here's a link to info on how to shut down your PC remotely using Dropbox and emails. All that needs changing is a couple of lines to wake your computer. =)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:24 pm 

Concerning the disks,

try formatting them one by one instead of working on the raid array.

about the WoL there are some hardware and software requirements http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake-on-LAN#Hardware_requirements. Do you have any specific information concerning the lsmini SoC?
It's an interesting question and should be addressed in a specific thread.

Cheers,
Matyas

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:41 pm 

I'll try that when I get back home. I, unfortunately, left my lsmini power supply at home today >_<

Also, perhaps I wasn't very clear about the WOL. I have a desktop at home and with the lsmini running Ubuntu I'll be able to turn my desktop on and off remotely. I plan on leaving my lsmini on permanently. Just thought I would clarify.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:28 am 

matyaska wrote:
Concerning the disks,

try formatting them one by one instead of working on the raid array.

about the WoL there are some hardware and software requirements http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake-on-LAN#Hardware_requirements. Do you have any specific information concerning the lsmini SoC?
It's an interesting question and should be addressed in a specific thread.

Cheers,
Matyas

So, I removed both drives from the lsmini again and connected them with a sata/usb adapter to my PC and formatted them one-by-one in Linux using the disk utility. When it asked which scheme to use I chose 'Don't partition'.

Both drives appeared to successfully format and were put back into the lsmini. I connected the lsmini to a laptop with an ethernet cable. The laptop's ethernet port is set to 192.168.11.1/255.255.0.0. I ran TFTP Boot and it successfully transfered the images. I enabled internet connection sharing so the lsmini would get an IP from my router. My ethernet port went to 192.168.137.1/255.255.255.0 and I ran LSUpdater. It found the device on 192.168.137.151 and I applied the settings as mentioned in the instructions. I acknowledge that this will format my drive and it beings. It eventually times out again and says 'Failed to Formatting. (0xFFFFFFFE)'

Should I give up all hope or is there anything you can think of?

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:07 am 

Post your LSUpdater.ini and a picture from your Debug buttons.

(Noformatting = 0)