Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:47 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:30 pm 
Total Newbie

I compiled a kernel including the fuse module with the script posted at viewtopic.php?f=61&t=23793. I only had to update the script to use the available kernel patch (change 35 to 39) and that's it.

ntfs-3g works now and I can mount and share ntfs drives attached to the USB port of my LS mini.

Thanks again for the quick help!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:15 am 
Total Newbie

Tell me is there some sort of web interface for Debian 6.0 (Squeeze) or how served nas.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:40 am 

fixsony wrote:
Tell me is there some sort of web interface for Debian 6.0 (Squeeze) or how served nas.

Not sure what you are asking...

The Buffalo Linkstation Mini provides a web interface using a customized system designed by Buffalo. When you convert the device to Debian 6.0, it removes Buffalo's system, so there is no more web interface. The installation instructions explain how to connect to and administer the device after the conversion is complete.

If you are looking to use the device as a DLNA media server, then take a look at the mediatomb package... http://packages.debian.org/search?suite=squeeze&searchon=names&keywords=mediatomb%20mediatomb. If you are looking to use a web interface to manage your device, then take a look at the webmin package... http://www.webmin.com/deb.html.

There are over 29,000 packages available for the Debian platform... http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/

With some effort, you can configure your device as a fully-functional Debian server. For example, I use my device as a mail host (using the postfix and dovecot packages), a web server (using the apache2 package), a DLNA media server (using the mediatomb package), a file server (using the samba package), dynamic dns (using the ddclient package), security (using the denyhosts and fail2ban packages), time synchronization (using the ntpd package), and an FTP server (using the vsftp package).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:05 am 
Total Newbie

Thank you so much. It was very helpful. I am am a PC Windows guy so Linux very new to me.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:44 pm 

Uploaded new files for installing Debian 6.0.5 with related Linux kernel 2.6.32-45 (now includes IPv6 and FUSE modules)

Wiki updated accordingly...
http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Install_Debian_6.0_(Squeeze)_On_Buffalo_Linkstation_Mini

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:26 pm 

User tauflux repote dthese instructions working on a Pro Duo. The Quad has the same CPU (88F5182-A2). Is in reasonable to expect with minor variations these instructions would successfully get Debian Squueze onto a Quad?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:21 am 
Total Newbie

Hey Guys -

I recently ran through this guide without any problems - thanks a lot for the thorough step by step!

One thing I noticed as I did a backup of my linkstation prior to loading squeeze was that it took forever to transfer files over (my laptop was only 10/100). A few days ago, I decided to upgrade my laptop with a USB3 Gigabit NIC to speed up the restore. Unfortunately, I still get ~10MB/sec transfers between the PC and the linkstation.

I did speed tests between my PS3 & laptop vs the PS3 & linkstation with the following results:

linkstation to ps3:
ftp> put test.avi
183558144 bytes sent in 14.07 secs (12743.4 kB/s)
ftp> get test.avi
183558144 bytes received in 21.55 secs (8318.4 kB/s)

computer (5400 rpm drive) to ps3:
ftp> put test.avi
ftp: 183558144 bytes sent in 5.05Seconds 36319.38Kbytes/sec.
ftp> get test.avi
ftp: 183558144 bytes received in 4.67Seconds 39347.94Kbytes/sec.

computer (samsung 530 ssd) to ps3:
ftp> put test.avi
ftp: 183558144 bytes sent in 4.92Seconds 37331.33Kbytes/sec.
ftp> get test.avi
ftp: 183558144 bytes received in 4.58Seconds 40060.70Kbytes/sec.

I've read that with the USB3 NIC I purchased, I should see speeds of around ~90MB/sec, so it might be the PS3 harddrive that is slow as well, however I'm frustrated by the linkstation's poor speed. I installed ethtool, and it listed the network card as operating on gig-e at full duplex:

Settings for eth0:
Supported ports: [ TP AUI BNC MII FIBRE ]
Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
1000baseT/Full
Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
Advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
1000baseT/Full
Advertised pause frame use: No
Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Speed: 1000Mb/s
Duplex: Full
Port: MII
PHYAD: 8
Transceiver: external
Auto-negotiation: on
Link detected: yes

Anybody else experience this? I've tried connecting the linkstation directly to my laptop, with the same result (~10MB/sec).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:32 pm 

You should not expect too much from an LSMini station. For more figures, you may check this web pages: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas-reviews/30473-buffalo-linkstation-mini-review-smaller-faster-expensiver?showall=&start=1

Regards,
Matyas

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:08 am 

My Linkstation mini was making some strange noises the other day, and I suspect it won't be long before I need to swap a disk. It is running Debian per this thread (thanks rpinchbeck!).

If I swap a drive, I assume the procedure is standard for replacing a RAID 1 disk, in other words recreate the partitions, use mdadm to add the new disk to the array, then allow the RAID synchronization is complete.
However one question came to mind. With my limited knowledge of the boot process, it appears that the standard grub2 is not used with this particular Debian install. So what will I need to do to the new disk to ensure that it is capable of booting properly by itself, if the other drive fails in the future. Specifically, I imagine that the new disk needs to have the MBR set properly. How would one do this? Is it a matter of copying the MBR from the working drive to the new drive?

Are there other issues I need to think about related to swapping a drive?
Thanks in advance.