Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:49 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 5:16 am 

The wiki has been updated with instructions for installing Debian version 6.0 (Squeeze) on a Buffalo Linkstation Mini (model LS-WSxxxxGL/R1) with the Debian Linux kernel (version 2.6.32-31)...
http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Install_Debian_6.0_(Squeeze)_On_Buffalo_Linkstation_Mini

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:19 am 

Oh, fantastic! Debian Squeeze in a miniNAS!, but I have a question for some time... and I wonder if someone could answer. From the tutorial of how to install debian 5 in Linkstation Mini I wonder if there is no way to install debian (any version, preferably Squeeze) in RAID0 mode. I don´t know why but i can't setup my Link Station Mini in RAID1 mode in this moments.

I'd love to know how to.

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:34 am 

deleted by author, was wrong

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:25 pm 

what's was wrong? the debian 6 wiki?

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 3:13 am 

pacopolaco wrote:
Oh, fantastic! Debian Squeeze in a miniNAS!, but I have a question for some time... and I wonder if someone could answer. From the tutorial of how to install debian 5 in Linkstation Mini I wonder if there is no way to install debian (any version, preferably Squeeze) in RAID0 mode. I don´t know why but i can't setup my Link Station Mini in RAID1 mode in this moments.

The current process supports RAID1 without disassembling the Linkstation by failing one of the drives in the RAID1 array and repurposing the drive to boot Debian. As far as I know, you cannot fail both drives in an array while the operating system is using it. Therefore, you will not be able to create a RAID0 installation without disassembling the Linkstation.

However, it could be done if you remove the drives from the Linkstation, mount them on another machine, partition them, and establish RAID0 (using steps 27-46 with changes below), then put the drives back in the Linkstation to complete the installation.

For RAID0, you would need to make the following changes:

# Step 27 (fdisk)...
repartition both /dev/sda and /dev/sdb

# Step 29 (mdadm --create)
create level=0 array with both /dev/sda and /dev/sdb

If you use the Ubuntu live CD, then you will need to install the mdadm package first...
apt-get update
apt-get install mdadm

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 3:16 am 

pacopolaco wrote:

I assure you, the wiki is not wrong... I didn't publish it until I was able to install Debian 6 on my spare Linkstation.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 8:57 am 

Ok, fine. Thanks so much for the added steps, I believe these steps complete the entire wiki, which by the other hand it's a great job that deserves to be highly regarded.

Thanks again, I'll try the steps you describe and I'll post my results if they are satisfactory.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:44 am 

pacopolaco wrote:

Just my forum posting was wrong. And I did not find any "delete" button for the forum.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 5:27 pm 

Well, the reason for wanting to create an extended array or RAID0 arises from the need to have my LinkStation Mini as a big storage of things that I do not mind to lost. I do not need to provide it with special security against accidental erasure. They are, in short, things like movies, music, etc. All i need is more space.

Well, in my particular battle to setup a RAID0 in my lsmini I give up from now, I failed to do so after several attempts. :|

If there was someone who had succeeded, would appreciate the way he did and please, with well-defined steps as far as posible, I am a relative novice and it takes a lot of work to understand some technical linux issues.

Thank you from Spain.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 5:17 pm 

pacopolaco wrote:
Well, in my particular battle to setup a RAID0 in my lsmini I give up from now, I failed to do so after several attempts.

Problem solved and documented here...
http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Install_Debian_On_Buffalo_Linkstation_Mini_With_RAID0_(Striping)

The trick was to make the large partition RAID0, but leave the other small partitions as RAID1.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 6:17 pm 

rpinchbeck wrote:
Problem solved and documented here...
http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Install_Debian_On_Buffalo_Linkstation_Mini_With_RAID0_(Striping)

The trick was to make the large partition RAID0, but leave the other small partitions as RAID1.

I just realized that RAID0 can be configured without disassembly... I will update the main Debian Wiki today with instructions for both RAID1 and RAID0.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 8:51 pm 

rpinchbeck wrote:
I just realized that RAID0 can be configured without disassembly... I will update the main Debian Wiki today with instructions for both RAID1 and RAID0.

Wiki updated to support both RAID1 and RAID0 configurations... no disassembly required.
http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Install_Debian_6.0_(Squeeze)_On_Buffalo_Linkstation_Mini

See steps 58 to 60.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 10:17 am 

WOW ! :shock:

Thank You Very Much ! :up:

It's exactly what I needed. I do not know how I can thank you ... Thanks again!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:39 am 

I just used this guide to successfully install Debian Squeeze on my Buffalo Linkstation Pro Duo LS-WTGL/R1V3. It's not a Mini but it worked
The device was running Freelink and I re-flashed stock V3 before commencing the procedure. Once the procedure was completed I needed to update /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf to assemble the big volume.
Prior to using this guide I had unsuccesfully tried Genlink, and another procedure to get the Linkstation Pro to Debian Squeeze, but the kernels never worked and the box went into continuous loop powering down the disks and rebooting.

Many many thanks and kudos to pinchbeck for the excellent guide which allows installing Debian Squeeze on the Duo.

Next task is to acquire the linux-headers or compile a new kernel so I can install lvm2 and other stuff that relies on kernel modules not present in pinchbeck's build.

Last edited by tauflux on Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:36 pm 

What did you need to update in mdadm.conf?
And, is it something that should be added to the installation procedure?

If you are interested, I can post the script that I wrote to build kernels on the Linkstation Mini.
The script will allow you to include whatever kernel modules you like.