Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:43 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:13 pm 

Hi

For some days I have been trying to install Gentoo following these instruction : http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.php/LS_Mini:_Install_Gentoo, but whenever I come to the first reboot my mini goes into a loop where it keeps rebooting ca. every 25 seconds.

There are no responses to telnet, ssh or ping.

Fortunately it's fairly easy to workaround, plug disk sdb into an USB cabinet, delete all partitions, reinsert into the mini and boot, and after a short time the default firmware is up and running again (with the red led flashing, but that's to be expected).

I now have tried 4 times and every time I get the same result, any idea what I can be doing wrong ?

Kim

Last edited by Kif on Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:33 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:25 am 
Total Newbie

I am in exactly the same situation. After the LinkStation did not come up properly, I disassembled the device and performed some tests. Here is what I found out (maybe it helps):
  • When both hard disks are connected with the changed (Gentoo) disk to SATA1, the system hangs in a reboot loop. This is the state after following the instructions in the wiki.
  • When I connect only the unchanged disk (to SATA1 or SATA2), the system boots the original firmware.
  • When I connect only the changed disk (to SATA1 or SATA2), the system boots Gentoo.
  • When I connect the unchanged disk to SATA1 and the changed disk to SATA2, the system boots the original firmware. I can then access the Gentoo partitions on the other disk (/dev/sda) without problems.
Unfortunately, I have no serial cable to see the output during boot. Does anybody have an idea?

Regards,
Christian

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:30 pm 

Hi

The problem is solved ! :biglol:

It looks as if it is necessary to delete the partitions on sda before it is possible to boot gentoo !

Looking at the boot Sequence (http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/LS_Mini:_Serial_Port_Output_-_Boot-Log) it would seem that the boot images are loaded from each disk and compared.

After I deleted all partitions on sda my mini booted gentoo without problems.

Kim

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:10 am 

And then not ! :cry:

After having cleared the partition table on sda, I was able to boot gentoo, and finalize the installation, but after the disks has been synchronized the problem is back :shock:

For now I'm out of ideas, but will try again this evening.

Kim

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:36 pm 

Ok, yesterday after having deleted everything on sda, I was able to boot gentoo stage 3, on sdb3 and partition and format sda, after a reboot the disks was syncronizing, and I postboot to initialize portage.

When the syncronization was done, I corrected fstab to include md14, emerged hdparm and rebooted.

That was the last time I had the mini running :cry:

On reboot the blue linkstation flashes for some time, then shuts off, after 5 to 10 sec. the single blue led on the other side of the linkstation lights up, and a couple of seconds later the linkstation restarts, and so on.

I have tried booting with both drives mounted, and with both drives alone, always with the same result !

Does anyone have an idea what can be wrong ?

I'm fairly far up the creek right now and could use some help !

Kim

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:15 am 

Hi again

This time it should be true, I have solved the problem :biglol: :biglol:

Unfortunately, because of my tinkering, I'm not entirely sure what the problem was.

If anyone should have the same problem, this is how it was solved :

• Disassemble the mini following the instructions here : http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.php/Disassemble_the_LS_MINI
  • Connect one of the HD's to your computer, using either sata og usb.
  • Repartition the disk as described here : http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.php/LS_Mini:_Install_Gentoo(1)
  • Create raid array using mdadm (I had to install it on my computer first), also described in (1).
  • Install filesystem and swap as described in (1), but not the "Create and mount root of your new firmware" part.
  • Mount md13 & md11.
  • Change to your md13 mount.
  • download latest rootfs image :
    Quote:
    and unpack using
    Quote:
    tar xvjpf ./GenLink-stage3.1*.tar.bz2
  • Download kernel
    Quote:

and unpack using
    Quote:
    tar xvjf LS-Mini-2.6.27-*.tbz2
  • Download arm md13 patch
    Quote:
    and unpack using
    Quote:
    tar xvjf initrd-md13*.tbz2
  • Copy the contents of /dev/md13/boot to /dev/md11
  • Edit etc/fstab to look like this :
    Code:
    /dev/md13       /       ext3    defaults,noatime,errors=remount-ro      0 1
    /dev/md11       /boot   ext3    defaults,noatime,errors=remount-ro,noauto      0 2
    # If you boot with two disks installed, make sure to use the corresponding line below
    # If you boot with one disk installed use the sda2 line
    /dev/sdb2       none    swap    sw,pri=1      0 0
    #/dev/sda2       none    swap    sw,pri=1      0 0

tmpfs   /tmp            tmpfs   size=5m,mode=1777       0 0
    shm     /dev/shm        tmpfs   nodev,nosuid,noexec     0 0
  • Change to your home directory : cd ~
  • Unmount md13 & md11
  • Stop the array :
    Code:
    mdadm -S /dev/md11
    mdadm -S /dev/md13
    mdadm -S /dev/md14
  • Remove the disk from your computer and install in your mini.
  • Boot the mini, and wait (I do not know if this is important, but I've read somewhere that Gentoo can be up to 20 min. booting the first time, so I waited for about 30 min. before continuing, and succeded ;) )
  • Follow the description in (1) from the gentoo login.

While tinkering with the mini I have observed it reacting to me touching any of it's metal surfaces while it was running. So when I did the successful installation, i had it mounted in the larger part of the cabinet, and never touched the metal while it was running.

Happy tinkering

Kim

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:26 am 
Total Newbie

Kif wrote:
This time it should be true, I have solved the problem :biglol: :biglol:

Hi.. how to do this with out raid? Thank you.