Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:22 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Re: Debian on Mini
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:20 am 

I tested the instructions today on a totally clean system and fixed a few bugs...
http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Ins ... ation_Mini

I also made some enhancements...
Use Ubuntu 10.04 Desktop Edition CD-ROM (instead of 9.04).
Use OpenJDK (instead of gij package).
Added packages to the bootstrap archive including: mdadm, hdparm, usbmount, locales-all, bzip2, ftp, telnet, less, lsof, nano, patch, sudo, and whois.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:33 pm 

Hi everyone

proud owner of an LS Mini, just rebuilt with Buffalo firmware 1.06 with a pair of blank disks and followed the instructions on http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Ins ... ation_Mini

everything was smooth until the first reboot, just after executing reboot; logout the LS Mini starts the shutdown procedure, disks stop spinning, all lights go off, the system reboots, then, all lights on, after a few seconds the blue lights turn off and only the green led remains blinking or fixed, waited for 20 minutes and no ping responses from the Mini

do you have any idea on the issue?

thanks in advance

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:27 am 

[quote="jornero"]
only the green led remains blinking or fixed, waited for 20 minutes and no ping responses from the Mini
[/quote]

Sounds like the kernel is booting OK (typically, the device blinks blue lights and reboots if there is a problem)
If you followed the wiki exactly, the device should be configured with a static IP address of 192.168.1.77
Make sure your network can route to this address (or whatever address you assigned).

That said, I have experienced this problem when /etc/fstab is not configured properly. Here is an updated warning from the wiki... Do not modify the last column of /etc/fstab... any value other than zero will cause the device to hang on startup. Basically, the device fails to detect the raid drives, sends the failure message to the console, waits for keyboard input (that can never arrive), and cannot respond to pings or any other network traffic. Don't find out the hard way.

If you can't get it working, you can always revert to stock firmware and try again...
http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Rev ... k_Firmware

I wrote and followed this process meticulously on a freshly reverted Linkstation Mini model LS-WS1.0TGL/R1, so I am extremely confident that it will work.

-=Bob

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:33 pm 

thank you very much

i'm trying again the tutorial on the wiki, but i have a question, how many time does it take to boot Debian on an LS Mini?

i've tried the debian install 3 times and the three of them i thought i wasn't patient enough, now i'm restoring again the stock firmware and will try installing debian again

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:50 am 

[quote="jornero"]
how many time does it take to boot Debian on an LS Mini?
[/quote]

It should only take one attempt to boot Debian provided you are using model LS-WSxxxxGL/R1 and follow these instructions exactly ( [url]http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Install_Debian_5.0_(Lenny)_On_Buffalo_Linkstation_Mini[/url] ). You do not need to be patient... you should be able to login a few minutes after the first reboot. I have used these instructions to rebuild my Linkstation Mini over 5 times, so I know the instructions are good. In fact, since you are having difficulties, I plan to rebuild my spare Mini this weekend to test the instructions again.

I recommend that you rule out any network problems by bypassing your local network and wiring the network cable directly from the Mini to your computer (you do not need a crossover cable, a standard network cable should work). Also, disconnect any usb devices from the Mini (just in case).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:44 pm 

Hi again,

it hasn't been possible for me to boot the LS Mini with your Debian Howto instructions

As long as I don't have any experience with embedded chips like the one in the Mini, I don't know which procedure to follow in order to be able to boot Debian on the Mini

Anyway, thanks for the info, I'll try again from start.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:36 pm 

Hi again,

now the my LSMINI boots, but there was a little problem on you wiki instructions http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Ins ... ation_Mini

First of all, I used the bootstrap file http://downloads.buffalo.nas-central.or ... ase.tar.gz instead of the one listed in the wiki instructions.

And second one, on step 41:
Quote:
41. Prepare for reboot (Overwrite factory-installed boot files with custom ones)

cd /mnt/lsmini
rm -rf /boot/*
cp -a /mnt/lsmini/boot/* /boot/

Didn't execute the rm -rf /boot/* and only overwrote the files with the ones from /mnt/lsmini/boot/*

Now it works!!

Very thank you for your time and appreciation.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:38 am 

[quote="jornero"]
First of all, I used the bootstrap file...
[/quote]
Indeed, I was able to reproduce the problem using the original bootstrap image.
I fixed it by creating and uploading new image files for Debian 5.0.6 and Linux kernel 2.6.32-23 (backported).
For good measure, I ran through the instructions again today and the new files work perfectly.
I don't know why the previous bootstrap image caused problems (I used it many times in the past with no problems)... sorry for the inconvenience.

FYI, step 41 does not need to be modified.
It does not break the installation when using the new files.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:48 am 

The wiki has been updated for installing Debian version 5.0.6 (Lenny) with the backported Linux kernel (version 2.6.32-23)...
http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Install_Debian_5.0_(Lenny)_On_Buffalo_Linkstation_Mini

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:39 am 
Total Newbie

Hi,
Maybe I am not the first one to mention it but I thought I needed to share some experience on this :
i do not know how many times I tried to install debian on my mini, it never worked and I never could reach it, would it be using the old procedure debootstraping it from gentoo or the new one with a direct install from an original clean system. After so many tries I got really fed up but needed it badly. On my last attempt, I did all the steps from the pc connecting the sdb directly to it (not that there should be a difference...) and booted up then analysed the logs for once ;P
funny thing is I noticed this :
lsmini kernel: udev: renamed network interface eth0 to eth1
for some strange reason in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules you can notice this :

# Unknown net device (/devices/platform/mv643xx_eth_port.0/net/eth0) (mv643xx_eth_port)
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="00:1d:73:4c:5d:26", ATTR{dev_id}=="0x0"
, ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth0"

# Unknown net device (/devices/platform/mv643xx_eth_port.0/net/eth0) (mv643xx_eth_port)
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="00:1d:73:4c:XX:XX", ATTR{dev_id}=="0x0"
, ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth1"

My mini's mac is the one on the second bloc.
I would guess that 00:1d:73:4c:5d:26 mac address might be rpinchbeck's mini's mac thus making my mini change the device to eth1 instead of eth0.
As in /etc/network/interfaces there is absolutely no mention of eth1, it was never configured to access network.
I just added a second block to the interfaces file to "try"
iface eth1 inet static
address 192.168.1.78
netmask 255.255.0.0
gateway 192.168.1.1

obviously there everything worked fine and I could finally complete the install.

My advice here would be to try to delete the file in the first place or eventually just remove the problematic line thus ending in interfaces for every other user to be configured properly instead of being shifted to eth1 as obviously our mac addresses will be different than rpinchbeck's one.
Thanks anyway for all the hard work, it's definitely good to have a deb running on this box :P

Cheers

SamY

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:56 am 

SamY wrote:
obviously our mac addresses will be different than rpinchbeck's one.

Wow, good catch. That would explain why it didn't work on my spare mini. I added the eth1 interface to the wiki instructions for now (until I can figure out how to fix it). My apologies to everyone who couldn't get it working.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:36 am 
Total Newbie

In my opinion best way to fix it would be to simply remove the file as it will be created on first boot.
I am waiting for a mini to transfer all its data on the debian one to try this out and will keep you posted with the results

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:24 am 

SamY wrote:
simply remove the file as it will be created on first boot.

Agreed... according to my research, the generator file (/etc/udev/rules.d/75-persistent-net-generator.rules) automatically generates the persistent file (/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules) at boot time whenever the persistent file is absent. Otherwise, the generator file appends newly detected network devices to the existing persistent file. So, removing the persistent file should fix the problem (i.e. allow the system to detect the network interface as eth0).

Of course, I wish debootstrap had not created the persistent file in the first place, but I digress. I have removed the file from the 5.0.6 bootstrap stage2 archive and uploaded the new archive to the site. I also used "aptitude clean" to reduce the archive size by over 50MB.

I removed the extra network interface from the instructions since eth0 should be the only device detected now. Likewise, I updated the instructions to remove the persistent file just in case it ever shows up again.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:29 pm 

Checked and confirmed. I am able to install Debian on two devices now (with different MAC addresses).

Wiki updated accordingly...
http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Install_Debian_5.0_(Lenny)_On_Buffalo_Linkstation_Mini

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:02 am 

Ubuntu instructions updated, tested, and working (but not recommended)...
http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Install_Ubuntu_9.04_(Jaunty_Jackalope)_On_Buffalo_Linkstation_Mini