Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:49 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:14 pm 

I got some more news: LS-LGL shall be the "Low-End" version of the next series of NAS, the LS-HGL shall be the "High-End" version. There shall be no longer Live or Pro series but Low- and High-End. The High-End shall have all features of Live and Pro combined, the Low-End model shall be for low-end with less power and performance than High-End model.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:15 am 
Total Newbie

Hello,

I have one of these a 500GB version, and it seems so slow, as useful as a brick.

I have A few questions:
1. I read earlier someone managed to print the specs of this unit? Can you please tell me how you go into telnet as I am having issues trying to access telenet, I have used acp_commander, and it says it has reset the root password and started telnetd. But when I connect to it via 23 it says cannot connect, as in the telnet server is not running.
2. Would this unit have enough ram to run a mail/web/ftp server?
3. If I can get into telnet, can I setup separate samba shares/users.

If not then time to rip this baby apart :(

Regards,
AlexW23

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:06 pm 

gvd wrote:
mindbender wrote:
is there anything you are interested in gvd?

Thx, mindbender. I think I will use the LS-LGL as replacement for the USB drive that crashed a couple of days ago. I have originally bought the LS-LGL to evaluate it for a AMP setup for someone else. The LS-LGL won't do it but this way now I can make some good use as replacement.

I have managed to hack the smb.conf file in the box to change the workgroup name from "workgroup" to my own. I have also managed to have the box synchronize its clock with ntp. I think it won't be hard to set up a few shares and get proper user/password access to the shares.

The only thing which I haven't got changed yet is the hostname. The box uses a fixed hostname 'ls-lgl' with the last three digits of the mac address. It is hard-coded into /etc/init.d/sethostname.sh. This script is replaced after each reboot, overwriting any hostname I have set before.

I haven't looked into it yet but can you give me a pointer where I can replace the script to get it back working the way it works on other linkstations reading the hostname from the /etc/melco/info file? I'd really appreciate it.

Dear GVD

Did you find a solution for setting the hostname - I just picked up a LS-LGL myself, and would like to edit the hostname in similar fashion. I've got SSH access after using optware and the acp_commander.

Hope to hear from you soon

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:17 pm 

AlexW23 wrote:
Hello,

I have one of these a 500GB version, and it seems so slow, as useful as a brick.

I have A few questions:
1. I read earlier someone managed to print the specs of this unit? Can you please tell me how you go into telnet as I am having issues trying to access telenet, I have used acp_commander, and it says it has reset the root password and started telnetd. But when I connect to it via 23 it says cannot connect, as in the telnet server is not running.

Regards,
AlexW23

Dear Alex

1 - I followed the instructions on viewtopic.php?p=39162 and got acp_commander and optware installed fine. Make sure the firewall on your PC is turned off when running acp_commander, I initially had that problem'

2 - My LS-LGL only has 16MB base Ram - Although it adds another 128MB as swap, I'd suggest it doesn't have enough Memory to run web efficiently. Perhaps a light sendmail (but not intensive IMAP or POP) as mail. A light FTP server should be fine, depending on the number of files and users you want to connect. I think you'd be better off using LS Pro which has 128MB base memory for what it sounds like you want to do.

3 - When you get telnet, you can edit the samba setup and get different shares, however when you restart the unit those conf files are overwritten with the default. I'm still working on a way to resolve that myself.

Yours

Roy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:21 pm 

@rverrips

I would be interested in changing the time too as it does not create dorectorys with the actual date.
The possibility to add a password protected share would be nice too.

Have you tried the Japanese Software/Firmware yet that has an Webinterface ?

Can it be set to english ?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:50 am 

Does the modified firmware for the Phillips "clone" work on the Buffalo models?
I'm looking at buying one if I can add a streaming client.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:51 am 

rverrips wrote:
AlexW23 wrote:
Hello,

I have A few questions:

Regards,
AlexW23

Dear Alex

1 - I followed the instructions on viewtopic.php?p=39162 and got acp_commander and optware installed fine. Make sure the firewall on your PC is turned off when running acp_commander, I initially had that problem'

2 - My LS-LGL only has 16MB base Ram - Although it adds another 128MB as swap, I'd suggest it doesn't have enough Memory to run web efficiently. Perhaps a light sendmail (but not intensive IMAP or POP) as mail. A light FTP server should be fine, depending on the number of files and users you want to connect. I think you'd be better off using LS Pro which has 128MB base memory for what it sounds like you want to do.

3 - When you get telnet, you can edit the samba setup and get different shares, however when you restart the unit those conf files are overwritten with the default. I'm still working on a way to resolve that myself.

Yours

Roy

i have managed to set permament :

- hostname
- resolve.conf settings
- smb.conf settings
- SSH integrated ( from LS Live firmware)
- Midnight Commander integrated
- wget integrated

I have used the 2.01 LSL-GL FW, however have disabled the httpd as it didnt make sense for me.

Of course custom FWbuild was necessary to apply these changes, on each start custom script restores all settings and restart
daemons, even after reset all settings will got restored.

Let me know if someone would like to use the updated FW.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:15 pm 

@Tinman,

as the Buffalo Website is a bit unclear when it comes to the LS-L500Gl for example I assume it is the Buffalo Linkstation Lite and the latest one there is:

Code:
20/11/2008 2.01 

Can you confirm this as I would like to try it.

PT-1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:42 pm 

PTone wrote:
@Tinman,

as the Buffalo Website is a bit unclear when it comes to the LS-L500Gl for example I assume it is the Buffalo Linkstation Lite and the latest one there is:

Code:
20/11/2008 2.01 

Can you confirm this as I would like to try it.

PT-1

yes, i can confirm, btw, UK site ( or EMEA site ) i always showing the Product Name,which is in case on the LSL not reallyclear, aswe can have EZ, EX type ( i saw already pictures of 3 different version of LS-L500GL ) ... but to be sure just select USA as country , then you will have a more detailed selection on the download page ( where you can choose the LS-L500GL directly ).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:03 am 

btw, check this : viewtopic.php?f=52&t=13806

i have recompiled the stck kernel to be iscsi capable ( which i use now on my 3 ls-lgl boxes connected to Win 2k3 server as dynamic disks and acting as iscsi RAID 5 )

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:26 pm 
Total Newbie

Sorry if i sound stupid.
But I have a 320GB linkstation EZ. I also have a 1tb LaCie external hdd. I swapped the internal hdd around. However I can't seem to get the linkstation to work. The light keeps on flashing and it wont connect. Can somebody help me?
Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:09 am 
Total Newbie

I've had some success here which I thought I should share. Using optware I was able to manually set the smb config "permanently", and get a simple mail server running without needing to install a custom firmware.

I followed the instructions at viewtopic.php?p=39162 to install optware. I had a couple of small issues with networking because it had no DNS or gateway configured. To fix it temporarily, I manually added:
Code:
nameserver 192.168.1.2
to resolv.conf and manually set the gateway using
Code:
route add default gw 192.168.1.2
Replace those IPs with your own gateway and dns of course.

Since most edited scripts will be reset when you reboot the unit, you can just set the settings twice. To do this I reappropriated the firmware scripts already there. First, I copied some scripts to opt's init.d:
Code:
cp /etc/init.d/networking.sh /opt/etc/init.d/S01networking.sh
cp /etc/init.d/sethostname.sh /opt/etc/init.d/S02sethostname.sh

Then I added:
Code:
my_dns1=192.168.1.2
my_dgw=192.168.1.2
before the configure() function in S01networking.sh (set your own values here of course..), removed the call to /etc/init.d/sethostname.sh from the same file, then I replaced the line in S02sethostname.sh:
Code:
hostname="${NAME_BASE}${MACADR}"
with
Code:
hostname=whateveriwant

I was then able to use ipkg to install some packages.. wget, sudo, openssh, XMail. It all stuck around when I power-cycled the unit. All of it was pretty simple stuff, and I did it in a pretty half-arsed way. It worked though, and might be useful to someone here.

Thanks heaps to everyone working on these tools and packages.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:56 pm 

Thanks Stauff - Very helpful. I managed to finally set the hostname on my ls-l500gl, yippee!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:16 pm 
Total Newbie

Hello everyone,

First post. And reviving a very old thread... :biglol:

I am new here and subscribed to get an answer to the following:

I have an LS-L500GL but the internal harddrive crashed and i put in a 80GB empty drive just to see if it would work but it didn't :(

After some Googling, I have found and downloaded latest firmware v2.01 and have it hooked up via Crossovercable and changed my IP to 192.168.11.1.
When i perform a netscan I can see the LS-L500GL on IP 192.168.11.150.

BUT the firmware updater (LSupdater.exe) does not find the goddamn NAS.

I cannot ping it, cannot access it in any way.

I have all firewalls/antivirus disabled.

The power button keeps flashing green very quickly.

Is there any other way to connect to this box OR get the required partitions and firmware in place so I can re-use this NAS?

Any help appreciated. I am a Windows-based computer techie so don't be afraid to throw tech mumbojumbo-talk like port access, telnet, putty, partitioning and the like.
But I am not a Linux poweruser so if you go in that direction please be very specific...

I would very much like to fix this problem so please, if anyone out there has any advice on how to proceed please answer.

Thank you in advance.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:18 am 

The IP address "sounds" like the box is waiting for a TFTP server.
You will need the TFTP package from Buffalo for your box to flash
the firmware.
Each TFTP package is specific to the hardware type of the box.
So a package for a LS-CHL will not work for a LS-GL although
both were called "Linkstation Live" some times ago.

If there is no verified backup of a dataset, the dataset, by definition, is unimportant. (c't 2012)

RAID (no matter which level) never ever substitutes a backup. (me)

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next