Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:56 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:10 pm 

For those interested

In the past year I developed a firmware upgrade for the Philips SPD8020 NAS. This because of the very limited features of the standard firmware from Philips. You can read more about that here viewtopic.php?f=52&t=10646

A user of the Lacie Network Space (Julien04) approach me with a request if it was possible to use this home made fvdw firmware on the Lacie Network Space. This looked feasible because it appeared that the Lacie has almost exactly the same hardware inside. Together we tested it and succeeded to make it work !

This firmware will add many nice features that you don't have right now on the standard Lacie such as for example create and delete shares, create and delete users, assign read/write rights per user per share, an ftp server and NFS file server, several mediaservers Marvel Upnp, Twonky, oxylbox and Firefly, and last but not least two torrent servers, Transmission and torrentflux-b4rt

Now we make it available for other Lacie users as well. The first time install procedure needs dismounting the HDD and is a bit of work, but future upgrades are possible without dismounting the HDD using the web interface of the fvdw firmware.

If you are interested, more info and download you can find here

http://convopit.org/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=120&t=21953

kind regards, fvdw

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:05 am 
Site Admin

awesome work!

KuroPro, LS2 & KuroHG (foonas)
Working on davysweather.dyndns.org lately...

=> wooohooo!
wooohooo!
Unknown command 'wooohooo!' - try 'help'

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:14 pm 
Site Admin

i followed your work and its nice that it is not restricted to only one device.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:03 am 

yep, its nice to see that more can have the benefits of all the work put done.
There is also someone that installed it on a Lacie internet space. That has a different system board compared to the network space. It also has more ram. As the spd8020 kernel contains patches for the system board it did not run on the internet space but the workaround for this device was using the rest of the firmware in combination with the original kernel of the device.
According that user it works fine but it might be that some features won't work if the appropriate kernel modules can not be loaded. As I have no lacie internet space I cannot check it.
The Lacie network space doesn't has this problem, that one has a compatible system board and is able to run the spd8020 kernel without any problem.