Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:48 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Dropbear on LS-LGL
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:10 pm 

Hello all, I'm new to the forum. I picked up a handful of LS-L320GL units at the Circuit City liquidation and am hoping to turn them in to an AoE (ATA over Ethernet - aka vblade) SAN. FWIW, I did get vblade running and got around 9MBps throughput in an informal test w/ a 100Mbps LAN connection.

So now my question...

I installed the optware package and then installed dropbear (from ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/cs05q3armel/cross/stable/). First problem was that the install failed because it could not open the random device (apparently it uses urandom, which is missing on my LS-LGL.) I corrected that with a "mkdev /dev/urandom c: 1 9" and then regenerated the keys. Dropbear now seems to work, but won't let me log in. I keep getting a "bad password attempt" error. I have changed the root password and confirmed it (I can log in just fine via telnetd). I also tried adding a regular (non-root) account and I get the same "bad password attempt" error when I try to log in with that. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Forgot to mention - I installed openSSH and that works OK (not sure if it needed the urandom patch or not). The problem is that openSSH uses a lot of memory. I'd prefer dropbear or another ssh server with a small footprint.

Post subject: Re: Dropbear on LS-LGL
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:14 pm 

I may have found the issue. I believe that dropbear was not complied with support for /etc/shadow. I tested this by blanking the password field in /etc/passwd and then noting that dropbear issued a warning regarding the blank password (the same warning was not issued with a blank password in /etc/shadow).

I'll post over in the optware ARM9 thread (viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4075) and see if a fix is available.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:16 am 

Just to close the loop on this... I repackaged dropbear with support for /etc/shadow and also addressed /dev/urandom in the config script. Dropbear now works out of the box on the LS-LGL. Many thanks to Brian Z. for guidance along the way.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:12 am 
Total Newbie

hi!

Just wanted to ask you which version of dropbear you have installed on LS-LGL, I have a 320 gb one, and I wish to install this as well. I am a newbie to NAS and I am frustrated by the limited options on the NAS Navigator.

Could you please direct me in the right direction, what I am looking for is ability to write to it remotely and hopefully write stuff to it without me having to leave a dedicated computer switched on.