Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:53 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:19 am 

All,

i was able to compile iscsi 0.4.11 - which is the last supported version for stock kernel 2.6.12.6.

Of course it was necessary to recompile the stock kernel with crc32 and crypt enabled. To do an update of my ls-lgl it was necessary to change the rootfs and initrd. Finally i have a ready set (LSUpdater + all files )- which can be used to update the stock ls-lgl to firmware 2.01 + iscsi + new initrd + new rootfs.

The changes to rootfs are :
- Midnight Commander added into rootfs
- opensshd added to rootfs
- melco/info extended to have my_dns1 ,my_dns2,hostname and my_domain variables support
- root and admin password set to empty
- telnetd enabled for first boot after firmware update ( to be able to set sshd pwd as sshd need pwd )

The changes to initrd :
-melco/info extended to have my_dns1 ,my_dns2,hostname and my_domain variables support
( so now i can set any hostname , domain and 2 dns servers)
-linuxrc changed to ask for boot from hdd or to EMmode in case kernel != initrd != rootfs ( so now you can add you own whatever , boot to hdd and change the firmware / rootfs tag to fix the error ) - however it boots after 10 sec. to EM mode - like to stock initrd is doing
- sethostname.sh and networking.sh changed to read melco/info and to not reset resolv.conf,smb.conf and hostname to defaults.
- root and admin password set to empty

So let me know if someone wouldlike to use it /try it -then i can upload it somewhere ...

I was thinking to add network support for initrd , it was working, however it was necessary to change the partitions sizes, so
i have remved it again as i have rs232 cable.

The modified LSUpdater works without any issues - have modified two other ls-lgl boxes, in case of timeout ( which was random issue - i believe i have updated the 2 boxes minimum 20 times already to test any case ) during the firware update it is enough to wait until timeout message popups ( fewminutes ) and then just unplug/replug power to the linkstation - so the firmware update will finalize everything. No clue why this happens sometimes - probably bug in the uboot/fw update itself, but it is not a big thing, it seems only that the ls-lgl didn't execute at this time reboot command, anyway.. :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:43 am 
Site Admin

nicely done!

We will hopefully have uploads restored here in the not too distant future.

You could, if interested, offer your items via bittorrent, using a tracker link linuxtracker.org .

I have put some of my things for sharing this way and it has seemed to work out OK. Of course, downloading them from the dirs here is faster.

KuroPro, LS2 & KuroHG (foonas)
Working on davysweather.dyndns.org lately...

=> wooohooo!
wooohooo!
Unknown command 'wooohooo!' - try 'help'

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:36 am 
Total Newbie

Hello Tinman,

Any chance that I could get a peek at that firmware you built? I got two LGLs that are waiting to be altered. Also, if it is possible what build environment did you use and what did you use as a starting point?

Thanks,

PD

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:17 pm 

Is the iSCSI LSupdater package available somewhere for download? I'm working on a project that involves crypto, and I'd like to make use of Tinman's modified kernel.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:10 am 

tinman, do you have these files uploaded somewhere??