Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:03 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 318 posts ]  Go to page Previous 118 19 20 21 22 Next
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 12:59 pm 

Hi fvdw,

I recognized a small phenomenon in the sort order of the explorer view (XP SP3).
It's only on the NAS shares! I installed the new FW 6 beta on an existing share with files and folders.

What is strange now: I see folders whoch have no "created" or "changed" date and the alphabetical sort order is mixed up (only on the NAS shares!). Files and folders are treated the same, so not the folders on top (A-Z) and followed by files (A-Z). That's my regular way or displaying the files on my PC.

If I create a new folder and copy files from folder1 (wo. dates) to the new folder (w. creation date) the sort method is right again. Seems to me that the folder management is different to previous kernel ?

Any idea ?

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:30 pm 

No nothing has changed, furthermore the sorting and displaying has nothing to do with the NAS, its something XP is doing.
XP keeps in memory what you have set for each folder you opened as such new created folders/shares can be different from older ones.

I checked it here, I am on windows 7 but it is sorting the folders and files as it should, also of existing shares, I will boot the PC in XP in a minute to see if that makes a difference

--edit

I am now on XP and everything works as it should, sorting of files and folders is ok and list the files as expected.
Also the fact that new folders you made are sorted right indicates to me that something in your XP settings is more likely the cause for what you see.

PS One remark, did you set the time on the spd8020 correctly ? In the fvdw6.0 kernel the driver to read the hardware clock is not included, I forgot that. I only found out recently, another forum member found this. In the next release it will be included. This will not influence the operation of the NAS, however you will need to set the system time after boot otherwise the nas assumes it is 1-1-1970 as it can not read the hardware clock.
If you have set system time in the web interface via NTP server on the web it should be fine that will set the system time at boot after the NTP daemon is activated during booting.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:30 pm 

an upgrade to fvdw6-1 is available on convopit

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:04 pm 

dear fvdw,

I'm sorry to inform you but my preference in FW is still the 5.1 release.
Now I have 2 NAS' next to me: one contains 6.1, another 5.1

1. remarkable: the 6.1 is much noisier

2. I saw hang-ups usind the torrentflux-b4rt on 6.1. No reaction, total freeze. I needed to reset the NAS. No issue with 5.1.

Questions:
Can you implement a selectable temperature limit to start the blower ?
Do you know the issue and do you have a workaround fot the torrent client ?

Regards
WD9895

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:09 pm 

the difference between the the fan control in 6.1 is that the limit is set to 40 oC, in fvdw5.1 it is 42 oC. So it switches on a little earlier.
On convopit you can download a daemon that will switch the fan on at 45 oC on request of another user with same remark about more noise because of the fan running, maybe 40 oC is too critical. I thought it would be better for lifetime of the hard disk to implement 40 oC. A selectable temperature limit is possible certainly, only need to find some time to program it and implement it in the webinterface, probably after the holidays and summer. Its on the to do list. For the time being you could try the 45 oC fan control daemon as posted on the convopit forum.

About torrentflux-b4rt. No I don't know this issue as I do not use that client anymore I use the transmission client as it is easier and faster to use and more modern. I will try it in the coming weeks to see if I can find what is causing the problem, a total freeze might indicate a compatibility issue with the new kernel, thats also likely because thats the main change compared to 5.1. Torrentflux-b4rt is rather old and since 2007 or 2008 no new releases are made anymore so it might well be that it has issues with more recent kernels.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:02 pm 

hello fvdw,

thanks for the hint with fax-spd-46. That could be a good solution ... if I would be able to install it.
I must admit I failed. .... I have no clue about Linux.

I booted a c't knoppix 6.1 from DVD but didn't find SPD8020 drive in the "explorer".
So, step by step....
1.opened terminal and "su" to root
2. ssh 192.168.x.x , "yes", "giveit2me" (success !!)
3. cd /usr/sbin (success !!)
4. process killed (succes !!)
5. then copy of the file "fan-spd-46" failed .. could not find it on /knoppix or /knoppix/desktop although I unzipped it to both directories.

What went wrong..
Sorry, most likely stupid questions but pleas help..

Regards
WD9895

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:32 pm 

You can also use Putty under windows to access the nas via ssh and get a command line instead of knoppix.
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgta ... nload.html
But alos knoppix is ok.

Anyhow the reason that it can not find it with copying is that the command line you get is from the linux system on the spd8020. As the directories of your PC running knoppix are not shared the spd8020 can not find those.

To solve this copy the fan-spd-46 binary to a share on the spd8020 NAS before starting knoppix or putty
For instance a share with name "fvdw"

Now access the nas using putty or knoppix ssh command and enter the password.
Now you are on the command line of the spd8020.
Follow the instruction as described on convopit
For your convienience I copied them in this post ;)

Access the spd8020 using putty or any other ssh client use username root and password that yiou have set if you use fvdw 6.1 (the default one is giveit2me)
You will get a command line.

Enter the command
Code:
ps

You will get a list of running programs one of them will have name /usr/sbin/fan-spd
see example output below
Code:
  316 root            SW  [kjournald]
  345 root            SW< [kslowd000]
  346 root            SW< [kslowd001]
  438 root          8 S   /usr/sbin/buttons-spd
  442 root         44 S   /usr/sbin/fan-spd

Thats the fan control daemon.
We are going to stop it, enter command
Code:
killall -9 fan-spd

If you now give the "ps" command the daemon should be not in the list anymore.

Now copy the file fan-spd-46 to the system directory /usr/sbin
For instance by putting it in the fvdw share and entering the following command in putty
Code:
cp /share/1000/fvdw/fan-spd-46 /usr/sbin/fan-spd-46

Rename the original fan control daemon and rename the 46 oC daemon to the name used by the boot scripts and set properties that it becomes executable
Code:
mv /usr/sbin/fan-spd /usr/sbin/fan-spd-40
mv /usr/sbin/fan-spd-46 /usr/sbin/fan-spd
chmod 755 /usr/sbin/fan-spd

reboot the nas and check if the the fan-spd daemon is running by using the "ps" command in putty.
You can also start the daemon manually by entering the command /usr/sbin/fan-spd

success

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:03 pm 

Super !
Putty on windows was the solution.
I created a public share "fvdw" and copied fan-spd-46 to it.
All command worked properly !

Now I got a pimped fan control ... :up: :up:

Great, Man !!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:36 pm 

hi together :)

i am buying a new nas in the next days and my question is now: is the firmware also usable for LaCie 301519EK Network Space Max 4TB or the buffalo ls duo 4 tb ?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:50 pm 

bmw123456 wrote:
hi together :)

i am buying a new nas in the next days and my question is now: is the firmware also usable for LaCie 301519EK Network Space Max 4TB or the buffalo ls duo 4 tb ?

I recently bought a lacie network space vs2 just to play with it. It has a much faster processor (800 Mhz) and much more system memory (256 MB) and the price is low (120 euro including a 1 TB disk). As result it can handle much faster data transfers. I am using a gigabit network and I reached 40 MByte/s. PS on a standard 100 Mbit network you will have this benefit as that can not go faster then 7-8 MByte/s ). However the system board is different from the lacie network space vs 1 or spd8020. I guess this will also be the case for the lacie network space Max. This means the kernel included in the fvdw firmware won't run on these NAS systems. But the rest of the firmware will run without a problem if you set up the file system properly. I hacked the network space vs 2 and installed my firmware besides the original one and I can run my firmware or the lacie firmware on the network space vs 2. I use for both the lacie kernel as it was present on the networkspace vs 2. It will be not too difficult to compile a new kernel for the lacie networkspace vs 2 as the system board it is supported in the ARM/Kirkwood section of the official Linux kernel. But for the moment I have time to try that.
The main issue was to adapt he booting procedure of the Lacie and making a file system that the fvdw firmware needs. The booting procedure it is quite different from the spd8020 and lacie network space vs 1 but it has been cracked :p

Maybe you should have a look at the lacie firmware of the networkspace Max it is much better and has more features then that of the lacie netwokspace vs1. maybe it fits your needs. It did not fit mines....

I don't know about the buffalo's

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:01 pm 

This was still on my to do list: publishing the linux kernel patches I used to compile the linux 2.6.33.1 kernel included in the fvdw6-1 firmware. Now with Christmas holidays I found some time to clean up the code and publish it.
You can find it here

http://convopit.org/forum3/viewtopic.ph ... 18#p310918

In the zip file you can download form convopit you will find the original and patched files for this linux 2.6.33.1 kernel. If you are an experienced linux user you will know what to do with them if you want to use them. :shifty:
The patches look simple but I can tell you it was a lot of work to figure it out and get it working. Especially the OOM (out of memory error) caused by ext2 and ext3 file system drivers was very difficult to locate and to solve.
My patch for those files has been accepted by linux organisation that distribute the kernel and if correct they should be incorporated in future releases of the linux kernel (I never checked that until today), but I am a little bit proud that some of my code is actually present in the official linux kernel :mrgreen:

PS. These patches are only of use for the spd8020 and lacie nwsp vs 1 as those have the same hardware. They are useless for the lacie internetspace or networkspace vs 2, those have different hardware.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:59 pm 

New release for spd8020 en lacie network space vs 1 version home made firmware version fvdw7-0

This are the main changes compared to fvdw6-1

7.0.1. FTP server enhanced with many new features and proftpd upgraded to latest version.
The credits and thanks for this go fully to Jocko a user that has written the new scipts for setting up the FTP server, he has done a great job

7.0.2. New fan control daemon that swithes the fan on at 46 oC disk temperature instead of 40 oC (spd8020 only)

7.0.3. Read/write support for ntfs USB disks.

7.0.4 Improved disk spin down performance in case of inactivity.

7.0.5 A new version of busybox (1.15.3)
This to increase compatibility of certain Linux commands with the current kernel.

7.0.6 A new menu for disk control and settings.
In this menu you can see if one (or more when using a hub) USB diks are mounted. And which share is made for the USB disk. Also you can use a command (safe remove)to unmount the USB disk before actually unplugging it from the NAS.

7.0.7 full versions of the ps and top commands added(linux command line).
The old ps command was linked to busybox, the new versions are the full standalone version from the proc-ps package version 3.2.8. This new ps binaries are useful for those using linux command line under ssh.

7.0.8 small bug solved that caused IE to hang when using shutdown and restart buttons.

7.0.9 bug solved that made a second boot necessary after installing new firmware (fvdw6-1 and 6-0) on the spd8020

http://convopit.org/forum3/posting.php? ... 0&p=312168

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:18 pm 

Convopit has crashed and will not be restored. :(

Therefor some temporary download links where you can find the fvdw firmware 7-0 version but also previous ones

For the spd8020 http://cid-781ec919c41217c7.office.live.com/self.aspx/philips-spd8020

For the Lacie nwsp1 http://cid-781ec919c41217c7.office.live.com/self.aspx/lacie-nwspvs1

You can als0 leave comments on that place. I appreciate any feedback

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 12:20 am 

a new update is coming up of the fvdw firmware with enhanced features of the FTP server (SSL protocol for safe data transmission) an updated webinterface regrouped and with more functions, transmission torrent client upgraded to version 2.22 and minidlna mediaserver to version 1.0.19.1 and more..

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 10:40 pm 

New forum opened for fvdw firmware for Philips SPD8020 and Lacie nwsp vs1.

After closing down convopit we lost a nice place were we could discuss the home "fvdw" firmware for the lacie nwsp vs 1 and Philips spd8020. However a user of the firmware offered us the possibility to open a dedicated forum for this fvdw firmware that can run on the spd8020 and lacie networkspace vs1 (and in future also on network space vs2 is our plan). Setting up the forum has taken some time and delay in the finishing the new release (8-0) but it is close to finalizing.

The forum is setup and will be improved over time hoefully with help of your inputs and feedback.
It is open for anybody that has a question or want to give feedback or download latest versions and more.
The new forum has as url "plugout.net" to make it easy for you click this link the check it out http://plugout.net/index.php

PS The see and access the download forum you need to register, in the download section you can find the latest version of the firmware and other stuff that may be of your interest

rgds, fvdw

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 318 posts ]  Go to page Previous 118 19 20 21 22 Next