Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:58 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 318 posts ]  Go to page Previous 116 17 18 19 2022 Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:03 am 

When you have changed the file it will remain as it is. It will only be overwritten when installing a new firmware.
PS Be very careful with changing those files and do this only when you exactly know what you are doing, several of them are used during booting the nas, if there is one error in the syntax in one of the scripts used during booting then the booting process will be aborted or halt. In such an event the HDD will have to be dismantled to correct the error via connecting it directly to a pc running linux to make the nas functional again. Just that you know what risks are involved

rgds

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:20 am 
Total Newbie

fvdw,

Thank you for this information and the warning.

I know, changing config files could be dangerous when you don't know what you are doing.
But, i took a copy, and only changed the '-1' in '0' and '1440', won't be that bigga deal. Just have to mind the syntax :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:08 am 

Yes it isn't a big deal but I know from experience that even a small change can have an unexpected result. These PHP scripts are not forgiving any error in the syntax. Its just that you know about the risk thats all.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:40 pm 

This week a user contacted me that he could not upgrade to version fvdw 4.2. The upgrade process ended with the message file uploaded Error.

Studying this problem we found that on his nas the system partitions used for firmware have not the standard size causing this problem.

There are two system partitions used for firmware, sda1 and sda2. Normally they are of same size (256MB) but on the NAS of this user sda1 was only 101 MB in size, sda2 had the normal size.

The original firmwares are 101MB in size as fvdw 3.0 and earlier versions. However firmware 4.2 is bigger then previous versions. When trying to install this on a partition of only 101 MB it won't fit and causing the upgrade process to fail.

You can check the partition sizes by connecting via PUTTY to the NAS and using the command

fdisk /dev/sda and entering "p" (without quotes) behind the command line

This is the output I get on a "normal" spd8020

# fdisk /dev/sda
Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/sda: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 32 257008+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 33 64 257040 83 Linux
/dev/sda3 65 96 257040 82 Linux swap
/dev/sda4 97 60801 487612912+ 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 97 144 385528+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda6 145 60801 487227321 83 Linux

Command (m for help): q

#

Notice that sda1 and sd2 have (almost) same size, taking the bloksize and number of blocks it corresponds with about 256 MB.
On the nas of the user reporting the problem it appeared that sda1 was less then half this size. The end block of sda1 was 13 instead of 32. As a result it is only 101 MB in size. Thats to small to contain firmware version fvdw 4.2
The user said he didn't change that so it must have come from the factory in this way. So there might be more spd8020 out there having this problem.

Now in case the active firmware is running on sda2, the new firmware is written to sda1. In the event thta sda1 is only 101 MB in size then there is the problem if you want to write fvdw 4.2 It won't fit.

The solution could be reformatting the HDD and setting the partition sizes as they should be, but thats not so easy and all your data will be lost.
An easier workaround is to just install once more a firmware with size of 101 MB (like fvdw 3.0 or earlier) and then firmware fvdw 4.2.
Installing again a firmware of 101 MB will be no problem as it fits on the small partition and making the larger one available for the next upgrade.

So in case you get this error during upgrading the firmware this could be the reason. Just check the size of sda1 and sda2 as described to check it out.

If your sda1 and sda2 have the normal size and still the firmware upgrade fails it must have another reason.

Hopefully this info is useful to those experiencing a problem with upgrading to fvdw 4.2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:11 pm 

A new update of the fvdw firmware is available, version fvdw 5-0

You can download it at convopit forum as usual

http://convopit.org/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=120&t=19371

Hope you like the improvement made

rgds, fvdw

Update to version fvdw 5-0.
Main changes compared to version fvdw 4-2
(a) Torrent client added.
(b) Firefly server replaced by a version that supports also the ROKU protocol (the previous version did not support that)
(c) PHP extended with support for GD functions
(d) PHP extended with SQlite (needed for torrent client)

read the readme file en the download package for more information.

One remark. This NAS has only 16 MB memory.
Be aware that using the torrent client will affect the performance of other process running on the nas.
If you are running everything at the same time with many users its obvious that the response of the nas will become slower..

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:16 pm 

Hi fvdw,

update report FW5.0:
1. install FW5.0 worked wo. issues
2. torrent install in menu appeared after clearing IE cache: ok

Issues so far (w. torrent client):
- click and feel is very sloooowww (single user, no more tasks open nor running)
- folder "tf-downloads" is not accessible: no user/pw works
- I downloaded 2 torrents and if I want to save and store the files the size is something only between 200 and 350 kb. If I select the "open file" dialog box the music file plays in full length (by Winamp). Also big pics are cutted off.
A download as TAR also stops after a few KB.

Any Idea ?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:09 pm 

yep the response of the torrent client is slow, guess it has to do with the small system memory

The folder tf-downloads can be made accessible by assigning read/write rights for users via the web interface of the spd8020 in the file share menu, just like you do for shares made yourself. The default setting is that nobody has access. You probably did not set the access right per users. ;)
I just tested it once more, it works fine.

The downloads might take time to complete, only when it mentions that download is completed the whole file will be there. Opening a file before download is completed will give problems for obvious reasons and nature of a torrent file.

Opening big pictures in explorer will not give problems by clicking on them in windows explorer.
Opening a big picture in the web interface (I guess you mean that you try to open it/using in the torrentflux webinterface) might give a problem. The new PHP version supports GD (grapical) functions but the point is that jpg files are extracted when loaded in memory, the extracted size can be easy beyond the max size of the system memory. Thats not a malfunction only a limitation as result of the small system memory. Philips should have been a little more generous in putting ram on this system board. Just open the files in explorer and not in the weninterface.

When a download stops it can be that the source (peers) died, or went offline or so, there are many reasons.
I downloaded so far more then 70 GB without a problem..

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:35 pm 

hi fvdw,

yes, that was the missing enabler in the user rights. Now I have access to the tf-download folder and all files are there. I didn't noticed that the files are opened in the NAS Ram when I double click them.
With the access to the folder issues should be solved for the moment.
Downloads are acceptable fast but operating the client by a browser is a matther of patience ;-)

Can I handover the torrent links by doubleclick to the client ?

Regards
Bernd

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:17 pm 

wd9895 wrote:
hi fvdw,

yes, that was the missing enabler in the user rights. Now I have access to the tf-download folder and all files are there. I didn't noticed that the files are opened in the NAS Ram when I double click them.
With the access to the folder issues should be solved for the moment.
Downloads are acceptable fast but operating the client by a browser is a matther of patience ;-)

Can I handover the torrent links by doubleclick to the client ?

Regards
Bernd

download speeds are certainly acceptable, of course the source is also of influence.

what do you mean with hadover of torrent links ?
If you mean clicking on them when you have made a search using the torrentflux webinterface, then yes. But you need to start the transfer by using the buttons behind the file in the transfer list

PS if you keep them seeding after download then this will take resources of your nas as when somebody is contacting your nas to download it there will be activity. It is limited as upload speed is limited (10 kB/s default setting) but when you have many files you share then the it might add up.
Of course you can choose not to share the downloaded files. There is a setting for that.
Unfortunate I am not the maker of this client so my knowledge of it is limited, there are some forums out there where lots of info can be found.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:47 pm 

Hi fvdw,

by handover I mean: if i search on torrent sites and ther is a link, simply click e.g. right mouse button and the torrent link will be linked to the torrent client. This would be ease of use ;-)

Automatic seeding is already disabled in my client as it slows down the machine...

I will further check the implementation but in priciple it works fine.

Regards
bernd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:00 pm 

when you do the searching via the web interface of torrentflux, then its possible
I did not try it myself but it seems you can even google via the torrentflux web interface.

If you are searching on your windows PC then not as it are two different machines. Of course copy and paste links could work

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:20 pm 

I am trying to compile transmission 1.75 for the spd8020 but the configure script fails when making the makefile
The reason is that the config.status command file contains scripts for gawk that my gawk version doesn't seems to like (syntax errors).
The config.status file is generated by the configure script so you would expect that it is correct. What needs to be done to make gawk accepts this syntax ? or what need to be changed to let configur generates a file with correct syntax ?

Code:
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
gawk: ./confQi9umY/subs.awk:2: S["/; s/!.*/"]=am__EXEEXT_FALSE!%!_!# ""
gawk: ./confQi9umY/subs.awk:2:                                 ^ syntax error
gawk: ./confQi9umY/subs.awk:3: S["/; s/!.*/"]=am__EXEEXT_FALSE!%!_!# ""
gawk: ./confQi9umY/subs.awk:3:                                     ^ syntax error
gawk: ./confQi9umY/subs.awk:4: S["/; s/!.*/"]=am__EXEEXT_TRUE!#%!_!# "#"
gawk: ./confQi9umY/subs.awk:4:                                ^ syntax error

edit ---

forget the question, I solved it myself, the version of sed I used was apparently not working as expected, changed that and now it generates a config.status file without syntax errors :p

sed is used to substitute strings. The fact that every gawk command line started with the same S["/..] crap made me suspicious and thinking of sed not working as it should.

Now I can continue to run the make command..

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:33 am 

its done

transmission 1.75 is running on the spd8020... :p

These newer versions of transmission come with a web interface, that would be a (more simple) alternative for torrentflux, will try to make that operational as well

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:36 pm 

Update to firmare version fvdw 5-1 available for the spd8020.

Main changes compared to version fvdw 5.0

a) Torrent clients.
Added Transmission torrent client and daemon, version 1.75 including its simple webinterface. I am sure you will like this. Its much easier to use then torrentflux b4rt, and I think more accepted by torrent sites and faster..
Click the help button in the torrent client menu for more information.
Torrentflux-b4rt is still included and transmisioncli used by Tflux-b4rt is upgraded to version 1.75 as well.
Please note that if you don't limit the upload and download speeds of transmission daemon then it easily overloads your NAS and it will repsond very very slow to the webinterface and other tasks. Its not a malfunction but a system limitation as result of the small memory of this NAS. Just try it out and you will see what I mean.

(b) Support for Lacie Netspace.(yes its true)
This firmware can also be used on the Lacie Netspace NAS devices. To install you will need to take out the HDD from the Lacie repartition it and write some images. For this there will be made available soon a separate instructions and software package. We are still testing it. This installation package you will need beside this firmware to make installation possible on the Lacie Netspace.
Thsi will only be necessary the first time that you install it. For next upgrades you can use the webinterface of the firmware using a special Lacie menu. SP8020 will see this menu as well but should not use it..you have been warned.
For this new feature a big thank you to Julien from France who approach me with the question if it would be possible to use this firmware on the Lacie Netspace. Together with him I was able to make an installation procedure that was tested with success by Julien on his lacie Netspace . I do not have a Lacie myself so I rely on tests made by Julien. From the tests made so far it seems the firmware can be used in same way as on the Philips SD8020 and that all features work normally with exception of the firmware upgrade via the webinterface.

(c) French dictionary added.
There is now basic support for Dutch, English, German and French.
This only applies to general text and not to text in the help menu's and some text inside the menu's that I added, those will remain in English whatever language you choose. I am sorry for this but I could not find the time to put all in the dictionaries, maybe in future upgrades. With again thanks to Julien for translating the basic dictionary in French.

(d) Some help menus are rewritten to improve readability and take out some old stuff not relevant anymore.

thats it, hope you like the improvements made.

One remark. This NAS has only 16 MB memory.
Be aware that using the torrent client and all other features at the same time will affect the performance of other process running on the nas and its repsonse to webinterfaces and other tasks.Also if you are running everything at the same time with many users its obvious that the response of the nas will become slower. This is not a malfunction. Limiting upload and download speeds of the torrent client will help to prevent overload, also not using everything on the same time.

Download for the spd8020 is available at the convopit forum as usual.

http://convopit.org/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=120&t=19371

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:12 pm 

we made the fvdw firmware work on the Lacie network space as well :p

you can read more here viewtopic.php?f=52&t=21062
or here http://convopit.org/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=120&t=21953

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 318 posts ]  Go to page Previous 116 17 18 19 2022 Next