Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:47 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:15 pm 
Total Newbie

Is there a safe way to try out Debian on the Kurobox Pro without risk of bricking it? I've got a WRT54GL router with a free port for the Kuro, so I was thinking if there's a way to TFTP something to it at every boot with the router talking to it initially using 192.168.15.149? Currently the Kuro is at completely factory default settings. Or is there a simple way to get netconsole working?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:52 am 

Get yourself a serial cable, learn about uboot and go for it.
Sure you can brick your kuro, but you will learn something in the process and there is almost always some way to restore your box.

I’m sure some of the more experienced guys can help you do it safe, but the fun is in the hacking. (IMHO)
Read all you can and have some fun!

:D
Stonie.

LS-XHL - Squeeze Bootstrap
LS-VL - Squeeze Bootstrap

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:56 pm 
Site Admin

jjrv wrote:
Is there a safe way to try out Debian on the Kurobox Pro without risk of bricking it? I've got a WRT54GL router with a free port for the Kuro, so I was thinking if there's a way to TFTP something to it at every boot with the router talking to it initially using 192.168.15.149? Currently the Kuro is at completely factory default settings. Or is there a simple way to get netconsole working?

There is currently a working (but tested only on one machine - mine!) netconsole uboot for the KuroPro. Whether you use serial or netconsole is your decision - but some such connection is useful in case your boot commands need adjustment.

In reality it is both easy and difficult to truly brick one of these boxes... as long as you don't overwrite/kill your UBoot bootloader, pretty much anything can be recovered from via serial/netconsole.

If what you have in NAND and/or on the hdd is not bootable, you can alway tftp-boot an EM image. That same EM image can be used to format/erase/setup your hdd for (re)installing whatever you want to put on the hdd.

KuroPro, LS2 & KuroHG (foonas)
Working on davysweather.dyndns.org lately...

=> wooohooo!
wooohooo!
Unknown command 'wooohooo!' - try 'help'

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:44 am 

davy_gravy wrote:
jjrv wrote:

There is currently a working (but tested only on one machine - mine!) netconsole uboot for the KuroPro. Whether you use serial or netconsole is your decision - but some such connection is useful in case your boot commands need adjustment.

In reality it is both easy and difficult to truly brick one of these boxes... as long as you don't overwrite/kill your UBoot bootloader, pretty much anything can be recovered from via serial/netconsole.

If what you have in NAND and/or on the hdd is not bootable, you can alway tftp-boot an EM image. That same EM image can be used to format/erase/setup your hdd for (re)installing whatever you want to put on the hdd.

Hi Davy Gravy,

Could you post the binary of your working netconsole uboot for the KuroPro ?

Regards