Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:44 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:01 am 

I deleted the boot partition on my KuroPro. :( Serial cable is on order but while I wait for it, I have been tinkering with it and I think I'm close. I've got a infinite reboot cycle going on it right now. It's not up and running, but at least it's doing something! :) No cable soldering has been done yet so I'm sure this is a software issue.

I removed the drive, plugged it in via USB to my Ubuntu box and created three new partitions; sdb1 is EXT3 10 GB where I extracted the freelink filesystem, sdb2 is 512 MB swap, sdb3 EXT3 is the remainder (sdb* will become sda* once I plug it into the kuro). As I understand it, uboot tells the Kuro where to find the kernel, right? So if the original kernel was on sda1/uImage, all I should have to do is make sure that file is on the correct partition?

I think I remember that the automatic install had a first partition mounted on /boot.. I'm guessing this was sda1 and was mounted into the rootfs on sda2. I remember that the etc/fstab in the wiki didn't match the way my partitions were created,so I'm hoping someone will have the default uboot settings and the partition info from a default freelink automatic install.

I was thinking something like this:

sda1: 3GB EXT3 mounted on /root containing uImage -> uImage-2.6.16.57-arm5_oabi (does it have to be uImage or uImage.buffalo?)

sda2: 10 GB EXT3 mounted on / containing the untarred debian image found on http://downloads.nas-central.org/LSPro_ ... .0rev2.zip

sda3: 512 MB swap

sda4: the rest of the disk mounted on /mnt/disk1

Am I on the right track here or is there just no way to do this without the serial cable? Does the partition size have to match the original installation? Do I need to worry about file permissions as I had to sudo to untar properly. In other words, does the root SID from the ubuntu box follow the drive and is the Kuro going to trip on this when it tries to boot? I've read a lot of posts where the serial cable is suggested but once in a while I find a post where someone has done it this way.. The trick, from what I can tell, is to recreate the partitions and the file structure so that uboot recognizes it..

Thanks in advance, sorry for the long post.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:54 am 

The automatic install creates this goofy partition scheme:

1. p1 : /boot (16MB)
    2. p2 : /rootfs (3GB)
    3. p4 : extend (others)
    4. p5 : swap (128MB)
    5. p6 : /share (others)

http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.ph ... ic_Install

You could easily do the repartitioning and place the proper things where they need to be on a linux workstation (with the hard drive attached) using gparted then return it to the kuro afterwards.
there are (sort of) instuctions here for using gparted.
http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.ph ... ic_live_cd

just FYI Uboot settings with the automatic installer should be something like these:

Boot settings when uImage(/dev/sda1), rootfs(/dev/sda2)
  1. uImage : /dev/sda1
  2. initrd: -----(Not use)
  3. rootfs : /dev/sda2
Notes: /dev/sda1 is formatted in ext2, and uImage.buffalo is stored.

Code:
setenv default_kernel_addr 0x00100000 
setenv bootargs_base console=ttyS0,115200
setenv bootargs_root root=/dev/sda2 rw
setenv bootargs $(bootargs_base) $(bootargs_root) $(buffalo_ver)
setenv bootcmd 'ext2load ide 0:1 $(default_kernel_addr)/$(kernel); bootm $(default_kernel_addr)'

http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.ph ... .2Fsda2.29

of course I have my own partition scheme that I like but that's a whole other story, and you would need serial console access.
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=7671

LinkStation HG *250 Uboot - Foonas-EM - Freelink
Kuro HG *750 Uboot - Foonas-EM - Debian Squeeze
Kuro HD *60 Uboot - Foonas-EM - Debian Squeeze (For Sale)
KuroPro *2TB Debian Lenny Armel- Kernel 2.6.26
KuroPro *1TB Debian Lenny Armel- Kernel 2.6.25.6

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:47 pm 

Yup - that did it! I just noticed the fstab in the wiki for the automatic install says

/dev/sda1 /boot ext3 defaults,noatime,errors=remount-ro 0 1

but formatting it to EXT2 and spec'ing it that way in etc/fstab seems to have done the trick! I left sda1 at 16MB but bumped sda2 to 10GB. I skipped the extended partition and made sda3 a 512MB swap and sda4 was the remainder. It's up and running now and seems to be right where I wanted it. I'm guessing I could have just made sda1 whatever size I wanted as long as uImage.buffalo was in the root but would have had to partition it to EXT2? I suppose that brings up other issues with where it mounts on the rootfs..

Many thanks!

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:27 pm 
Site Admin

The ext3 filesystem (not partition type) is ext2 plus a journal. You can create the journal with "tune2fs -j /dev/sda1". Or, unless you are running certain 2.4.* kernels, use

dev/sda1 /boot ext3,ext2 defaults,noatime,errors=remount-ro 0 1

which requests a fall-back to ext2 if ext3 is not available.