Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:52 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:59 pm 

Tftp works quite happily on mine ;).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:00 pm 
Total Newbie

My experience with Revogear was exactly like soundwave's. I also have the same gripe with the Wikis. I bricked my box the first day I got it cuz I was following incorrect instructions and had to wait a week for a serial cable before I could revive it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:31 pm 

Well Actually I bought the serial cable before the machine hehehe :D :D :D I know that if I can get one I will brick it (I hope I will never need jtag)... so I wish good luck to StuC, and please if you get any answer or news from Revogear / Buffalo Revolution, I will be very grateful to you if you post them ... Thanks a lot... :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:25 pm 

AS Mindbender said, it is possible to run the whole OS in the KUROPRO's NAND with a usb flash drive, So i was thinking in the Idea, and I think it's quite interesting to have for example a 2 or 4GB flash drive (fast enough) for running Debian for example, my question is: is it possible to run the whole Operating system from flash, and if is not slow to boot.. can you make partitions how you want? I mean for example to use in the NAND flash which is in KURO /boot and for example / and to have /var /home swap and something else in the flash memory?? It can be great ... I think with 4GB of flash one can run a proper linux on it... and to reserve the whole hard disk for sharing .. it can be quite good to do not have to prepare the Harddisks, for make it work...

Thanks a lot

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:49 pm 
Site Admin

i quite sure that this is possible...especially with the kernel + rootfs inside latest foonas-em....timtimred already stores foonas/foonas-em/foonas-scsi inside the nand flash...../var and /usr could be easily prepared (fdisk the usb drive and then formating the partitions of the usb drive from within foonas-em..then modifying /etc/fstab)

....and regarding the bootloader: there is a seperate thread regarding a netconsole enabled uboot bootloader that works on the LS Pro/LS Live v1/v2.....we will soon know if it works properly on a kuropro as well...then its possible to control everything ....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:52 pm 

Puff I was reading a lot lately about Kuropro and LSPRO... and now I do not know If I will able to wait till somebody tell me that Revogear clarified its situation... I am very tempted to buy a LSPRO heheh I saw very good offer, 320GB 154eu ... I start to have lack of nails hehehe :p :p :p :roll: :roll:

In fact the wait is terrible, when I have my Serial cable prepared hehehehehehe :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:19 pm 

I was searching, and I discovered one store in Japan which claims to ship overseas, but there can be communication problems heheh if somebody can write/speak in japanase probably it can be a new way to get kuros.. I already try to contact them but in english so I do not know If i will have any luck...

http://209.85.135.104/translate_c?hl=en ... aigai.html This are the shipping info...

and http://shop.tsukumo.co.jp/goods/4988755 ... 900000000/ here is the Kuropro price 19800Y, it's not as bad as in geek stores... I was also trying with some stores in RAKUTEN but without success yet :(( ...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:00 pm 
Site Admin

is there really no response from
http://www.revogear.com
?

i mean....i ordered a kurobox pro there once for timtimred......it took 5 weeks to arrive but it worked 3 months ago.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:50 pm 

Shipping seems quite expensive.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:58 pm 

Well actually, people from Revogear they didn't answered and I cannot find anything on the web, saying that they have stopped selling kuros, but the strange that they don't have stock of Kuro and Kuropro suddently and there is no more explanations that:
Quote:
# Sorry, the following item is currently out of stock: "Kuro Box PRO (ARM9 version)"

So it's for that reason I am trying to see where I can find it, I am not psicologically ready for paying the amount they want in http://www.geekstuff4u.com/ so I have to try to find some alternatives ;) but at the moment the I am not getting it well... : :lol:

Well calculating in this Japanese store I found including Shipping it about 4000CZK which means 160EU... The problem it's that i think I will not able to communicate with them.. :) we will see... Anyway I think I should continue waiting to Revogear pronunciates...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:35 pm 

carcuevas wrote:
so I wish good luck to StuC, and please if you get any answer or news from Revogear / Buffalo Revolution, I will be very grateful to you if you post them ... Thanks a lot... :)

I'm afraid I have no further news, another week has now passed still no sign of anything happening with my order, no reply from the john@revogear email address and no reply from the main buffalo sales contact form for NAS devices (which claim to reply within 48hours). I have to say this sort of customer service is terrible and I would have a hard time recommending buffalo products to anyone now, not because of any problem with the products themselves, just because of the complete lack of any sort of customer support.

So far this has been my experience:

1. Placed order 2nd April 08
2. Buffalo took money 2nd April 08 (website states this should be within 48 hours of shipping)
3. 1 week on, no sign of anything happening, the kuroBox forum appears inactive, the security certificate for the site is out of date and #2 above make me think maybe they stopped actively running the site and just the automatic procedures were left in place to take the money etc without anyone actually completing the orders.
4. Sent email to John@revogear.com (9th April 08)(the contact/customer service address given on the webpage) just asking for confirmation that the site was still active and orders would be processed eventually.
5. Another week passes, no reply from the support email address or sign of progress with the order. I try and register on the KuroBox forum ... but the automated account confirmation emails don't work. I try emailing the address given on revogear.com for issues regarding the forum to see if something is up with them (brian@kurobox.com) ... email is unable to be delivered to that address.
6. I find this forum and sign up, I also fill in a query on the contact section of the main buffalo website to try and find out if their revolutions product division is still in operation and if orders are being completed from the revogear.com site (15th April) - they claim to reply within 48 hours.
7. Another week passes and I find myself here again without a single thing I can report. Over 3 weeks now and I have been completely unable to get a response from buffalo/revolutions of any sort.

If anyone knows of any email address at buffalo where I might have a chance of actually getting a reply please let me know. I'm happy to wait a bit longer but there will have to be some point at which, with no contact from them, I will have to look to the credit card company to try and recover the money. Stating that money will only be taken 48 hours before shipping then holding it for perhaps a month or more without taking any action and being seemingly totally un contactable has to be verging on being fraudulent.

(They would certainly fail a number of parts of the distance selling regulations we have here in the Uk, though I have no idea of the equivalent US customer protections (mainly timely contact and right to cancel, though once they reach 30 days without customer notification of delay and payback of anything they have already charged they would have been failing that too).

I'm still just hoping it will eventually turn up though, it's a bit of a shame that their customer service (or lack of it) is putting quite a damper on a device which I was really looking forward to getting my hands on...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:10 pm 

Hello,

First at all to say sorry for the troubles you are experimenting. For me it's quite strange situation, I was also trying to contact them... Unfortunately I cannot help with the legal issues from the States, I am also european, so I don't know a thing about it (well even with european I have my issues)... But probably if I were you I would speak with the bank and probably they will say to you the deadlines for cancellation because of fraud or something like that...just in case because I heard that there were some people who had to wait a long time for receiving it..

So I wish you good luck, and I wish also you will receive your kuro or in the worst of the cases your money ....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:21 pm 
Site Admin

i don`t know if they ship worldwide but:
http://www.buffalo-direct.com/kuro-box_pro/

regarding specific documentation for the kurobox pro you are right soundwave. the only real difference a different behaviour of the uboot bootloader. davygravy is working on this...and he has already compiled a netconsole enabled version which just needs to be tested....with the same uboot bootloader configuration both boxes are nearly identical.

@StuC: please be patient. it always took about 6 weeks or so to arrive. if the kurobox pro then still did not show up i will try to help you getting the box or getting the money back.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:39 pm 

mindbender wrote:
@StuC: please be patient. it always took about 6 weeks or so to arrive. if the kurobox pro then still did not show up i will try to help you getting the box or getting the money back.

I have the exact same story as STuC.

Your reassurances that revogear will fulfill our orders are appreciated but the facts are the facts.

* Their security certificate expired late last year.
* They immediately credited their account with our money despite their published policy not to.
* They and their parent company, Buffalo, have failed to reply to customer service inquiries via every available method.

Mindbender, the very least we deserve is some sort of feedback from the vendor. Something. Anything. Are they backordered? Are they in financial trouble? Are they a pair of dopeheads soldering them together in their parents garage? Inquiring minds want to know.

To those outside of the US, our equivalent laws here would (loosely) be called Interstate Mail Fraud. IANAL but my gut feeling is that obtaining representation and investing the time involved to retrieve the funds would cost more than said funds. Consumer protection rights are by and large laughable here in the States. They exist, but only because a committee got to them first.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:47 pm 
Site Admin

ok, i will get in contact with the buffalo guys. thats something that needs to be fixed...pretty bad performance of buffalo.