Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:30 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:24 pm 

Hello,

Did somebody buy a Kuropro in revogear in the last days? I was triying it in the web, and it said that there is avaibility, but when I was trying to add to cart... A textbox appear where it can be read:

'Sorry, the following item is currently out of stock: "Kuro Box PRO (ARM9 version)" '

I have sent a email, to john_AT_revogear.com but i did not receive any answer... Does anybody know if they continue selling this product?

I am living in Czech Republic, I think they should also ship here... Anyway I found a store in Germany which sells not so expensive the Buffalo LSPRO, it's really worthy to wait for getting a Kuro Pro for any big reason, also I can have the risk of paying custom taxes...

Thanks a lot in advance...

C. :roll:

Last edited by carcuevas on Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:47 pm 

Well, as a owner of a KuroBox Pro, id buy a Linkstation DUO nowadays ;)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:13 pm 

Actually I read some review, and it seems that performance in the DUO pro it's not so good, also some problems with raid1... Some mostly I am interested in Kuro-box pro or the Buffalo LSPRO.. :) ... For example in the case of Buffalo it could be possible in the future to change the harddisk ???

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:04 pm 

I bought one mid-March. Arrived near the end of last month.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:27 pm 

Probably they do not ship to Europe or something like that... But it's quite strange :(

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:45 pm 
Site Admin

don't know for sure but I think the KuroPro will be available for sometime to come, but there have been posts and talk about a Kuro-Lite or KuroSlim ... search the forum if you have interest... haven't heard of anyone who has bought one so far.

I can tell that the KuroPro is a nice machine...

KuroPro, LS2 & KuroHG (foonas)
Working on davysweather.dyndns.org lately...

=> wooohooo!
wooohooo!
Unknown command 'wooohooo!' - try 'help'

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:28 am 

Yes I was reading in the last days a lot about it, and I think It's very nice machine... For me it's very interesting that even there is a lot "low-priced nas" on market but normally the transfer speed (using lan) is so slow, except Kurobox pro and Buffalo lspro, also they are pretty customizable, and one of the most important things for me... I can use DEBIAN on it... :))) I hope that people from REVOGEAR will start to sell them again ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:34 am 
Site Admin

i personally think that the kurobox pro is a great machine because of the 256 MB NAND flash.

in contrast to all other boxes it is possible to install the OS in the flash....then you could use a small usbstick for swap....and either you use the box without any hdd (and no moving parts except the fan...i am sure you could disable the fan then without heat generation) or you put a hdd inside and you can use the complete hdd for sharing. if the hdd gets too small all you have to do is to replace it and format it again....the OS will even boot with usb stick connected only..

thats actually the advantage of the old NSLU2....thats why i like the kurobox pro....i just never had the money to buy one.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:19 pm 

Yes is that the reason I am waiting for trying to get Kurobox pro instead of Buffalo LSPRO... but I really don't know if is worthy to wait... it's killing me :D :D :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:39 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, I agree w/ mindbender ... the lack of flash on the LSPro can be "worked around" somewhat, but there is no substitute for NAND (especially 256MB of it).

If I remember correctly, timtimred is changing (or maybe already has changed) the layout of the NAND flash for KuroPro so that there will be separate mtd blocks for foonas-em, foonas-iscsi, and foonas ... with room left over I believe ... which would make a very formidable 25-watt box! Like mindbender says, the hdd is then still empty and left fully for shares...

carcuevas, if you have ebay available to you, you could watch that, too. Once in a while someone decides to sell their Kuro(Pro) - that's where I got my KuroHG.

KuroPro, LS2 & KuroHG (foonas)
Working on davysweather.dyndns.org lately...

=> wooohooo!
wooohooo!
Unknown command 'wooohooo!' - try 'help'

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:28 pm 

Well, first of all thanks very much for your help, So now I think I am convinced so I should be patient and wait till something starts to move on revogear... I was also looking at ebay but unfortunately with no luck :((( I was wondering why there is no store in japan which ship to europe :((((

Well probably I should be patient, because I read that people from revogear are not so comunicative ... So we will see what happen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:21 pm 
Site Admin

the only shop i know selling kuroboxes and kurobox pros actually seems to be reselling them.....

http://www.geekstuff4u.com/product_info ... cts_id=498

i think they just call/email revogear themselves.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:54 pm 

Yes yes I saw it... only problem they sell 100$ more expensive... so for 50$ more can get the LSPRO with a 500Gb HardDisk... it that the reason I didnt buy it yet... puff I think I will wait a little bit... and then I will see if they don't sell it in Revogear anymore... so I will think what to do :)))) Thanks a lot for your help :))))

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:28 pm 

If it is of interest I was able to order one on the 2nd April. There has been no sign of progression since then though. The money was taken from my credit card immediately even though the site says it will only be taken 24 hours before it is due to ship (it has now been 2 weeks and it is still just marked as 'pending' which it has been since the initial order. I also tried emailing the support address (the john one) and it has been over a week since I sent that email without a reply.

I don't know if this is how the site normally works and it makes me feel a little easier about it that someone here seems to have received one fairly recently as I was starting to think the website might just be out of date and taking money but nobody actually doing anything with the orders. (The fact that the sites security certificate expired on 10/10/2007 added to that feeling).

I emailed buffalos main contact email address today (before I saw this forum) to just ask if the revolutions product division was still active and processing orders so hopefully will get a response in the next couple of days to let me know for sure. I'm not in any mad-rush to get it quickly, just want to know that there is actually still someone dealing with orders from the revogear site :)

(I also get the out of stock message if I try to add one to an order today though, I don't think it's anything to do with shipping to Europe though as my accepted order on 2nd was to Europe and it gives the out of stock message before you enter any details about your location).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:20 pm 

My order was in pending state during the time it was shipping, and the product was shipped email came a couple days after it arrived. I was also going to email them about the shipping status thing, but then my box arrived so I didn't. It took 2 weeks, FYI, and I'm in Canada.

My main gripe about the kurobox is the lack of useful documentation targeted specifically for the kurobox/pro. Most of the stuff on the wiki are written for the lspro, and do not work on the kuro (such as the stuff on EM mode which kurobox doesn't have, and even the installing freelink on the pro article is a bit inaccurate). Without a serial cable, you can't modify uboot setting easily, which is quite important if you intend to ever boot from flash again.. though I hear you can do tftp boot, but I've never gotten it to work.