Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:52 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Pre-buying questions
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:35 pm 
Total Newbie

Hello!

I've been seriously thinking about buying this Kuro Box Pro thing (I like the idea of a small-footprint low-power-consumption server), but there are a few things I am unsure about:

1) From reading the wiki, my understanding is that one absolutely needs to solder a serial port to the device in order to install a different distro than what is already included on the system (to configure the bootloader). Is this true? Because if it is that is reason enough for me to avoid buying this. I'm not paying over 170 USD just to have something I have to solder things on. If this device really needs a serial connection in order to be fully usable, it should come with a freaking serial port in the back, period.

2) The specs on the Revogear site claims that there are 2 SATA ports. However the official documentation states there is only one. I'd like a final answer on that. I know that the box itself only has space for one HDD, but is there really a second port? Because having only one port is not good enough for me. If I'm making a NAS, it better have at least RAID 1, or else I consider it worthless.

3) Is USB support good? What about PCI Express? Are all Linux drivers available? Since this is an ARM9 system I am guessing that things overall are not very mature on the hardware support front, is this true?

Anyway, thanks in advance to anyone answering one or more of those questions!

Post subject: Re: Pre-buying questions
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:56 am 
Site Admin

0. Welcome!

1. Some of us actually like to risk lead poisoning by solder. :D Seriously, many of us solder here and it is pretty easy to attach the headers. It isn't that much of a problem, at least for me.

2. I think the 2nd port needs the hardware/connector installed. Somewhere in the articles is mention of a hardware hack for doing this, iirc.

3. USB port is fine. Never used the pci express. There is a stock kernel that we have source for which can be recompiled to fit needs. It is a bit dated at 2.6.16, but it is pretty fast. Also many of us run a kernel from vanilla 2.6.25+, and while it is slower for network transfer rates, it is easier to work with in terms of needing no patches and being current.

4. It has 256MB of flash - you can put an entire distro in it... and then some...

KuroPro, LS2 & KuroHG (foonas)
Working on davysweather.dyndns.org lately...

=> wooohooo!
wooohooo!
Unknown command 'wooohooo!' - try 'help'

Post subject: Re: Pre-buying questions
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:26 am 

Quote:
2) The specs on the Revogear site claims that there are 2 SATA ports. However the official documentation states there is only one. I'd like a final answer on that. I know that the box itself only has space for one HDD, but is there really a second port? Because having only one port is not good enough for me. If I'm making a NAS, it better have at least RAID 1, or else I consider it worthless.

Yes, this NAS box comes with only 1 SATA drive and the NAS will not be RAID protected. If you are technical and crazy enough you can use the second port and turn it to a 2 drives NAS and RAID protect, like I did. Fully details in this link (mind you it was for version 1):
http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.php/RAID_your_LSpro_(v.1)_mnt_partition_functioning_like_a_Duo