All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: NFS on the Pro Duo?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:31 pm 
Total Newbie

Hi ghiant,

my box' stats are:
Code:
root@LS-WTGL93D:~# uname -a
Linux LS-WTGL93D 2.6.16.16-arm1-wtgl-p7r1 #10 Fri May 30 19:33:51 CEST 2008 armv5tejl unknown

root@LS-WTGL93D:~# cat /proc/buffalo/firmware
SERIES=LinkStation
PRODUCTNAME=LS-WTGL/R1(KOGEN)
VERSION=0.16
SUBVERSION=FLASH 0.00
PRODUCTID=0x00003001
BUILDDATE=2008/05/29 15:32:08
BOOTVER=1.13

root@LS-WTGL93D:~# cat /etc/linkstation_release
VERSION=3.03
SUBVERSION=HDD 0.05
PRODUCTID=0x00003001

root@LS-WTGL93D:~#

what I took care was to set the content of /etc/linkstation_release in terms of PRODUCTID and BUILDDATE equivalent to the content of /proc/buffalo/firmware, running the p7r1 kernel.

Probably this /proc/buffalo/firmware is static for the p7r1-kernel and my settings in /etc/linkstation_release work for you!

good luck
herrBlaschke

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:31 pm 

ghiant wrote:
I double checked, and the custom kernel recognizes two separate disks, with the same contents. I've got a second box here, with a similar configuration, and I've already seen the Simpsons episode that's on TV right now, so I'll try again :P
More soon!

Just a "me too", the mindbender v6 kernel has this same problem...box boots but recognizes none of the RAID arrays. In EM mode it mounts /dev/root.old and /dev/ram1 and of course there's no sign of the kernel modules, etc. in /lib/modules. Recovery from this state has been to remove the disks from the box, zap the partitions, and rescue it via tftp.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:50 pm 

rkboni wrote:
ghiant wrote:
I double checked, and the custom kernel recognizes two separate disks, with the same contents. I've got a second box here, with a similar configuration, and I've already seen the Simpsons episode that's on TV right now, so I'll try again :P
More soon!

Just a "me too", the mindbender v6 kernel has this same problem...box boots but recognizes none of the RAID arrays. In EM mode it mounts /dev/root.old and /dev/ram1 and of course there's no sign of the kernel modules, etc. in /lib/modules. Recovery from this state has been to remove the disks from the box, zap the partitions, and rescue it via tftp.

Woohoo, followup to self.

I think what I missed is the importance of /proc/buffalo/firmware vs. /etc/linkstation_release being in synch as noted by herrBlaschke:

herrBlaschke wrote:
what I took care was to set the content of /etc/linkstation_release in terms of PRODUCTID and BUILDDATE equivalent to the content of /proc/buffalo/firmware, running the p7r1 kernel.

Probably this /proc/buffalo/firmware is static for the p7r1-kernel and my settings in /etc/linkstation_release work for you!

Tracing through the /linuxrc execution of my box when I load either prodigy7's kernel or mindbender's kernel shows that the boot stops due to the differences between those files. I haven't yet had a chance to fix /etc/linkstation_release and test again though.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:22 am 

rkboni wrote:
Woohoo, followup to self.

I think what I missed is the importance of /proc/buffalo/firmware vs. /etc/linkstation_release being in synch as noted by herrBlaschke:

herrBlaschke wrote:

Tracing through the /linuxrc execution of my box when I load either prodigy7's kernel or mindbender's kernel shows that the boot stops due to the differences between those files. I haven't yet had a chance to fix /etc/linkstation_release and test again though.

Cheers!

Ok, so fixing up /etc/linkstation_release got me 99% of the way to a working linkstation -- it now happily boot's prodigy7's kernel, mounts arrays, and comes up in proper operational mode but there's still some confusion on the web UI part's about the disk layout (including a divide-by-zero somewhere in the PERL modules which kept me from logging in but was easy to fix).

So indeed to get prodigy7's kernel to run I had to put the following in /etc/linkstation_release:

Code:
VERSION=3.03
SUBVERSION=HDD 0.05
PRODUCTID=0x00003001

Note that it's really a 3.05 / 0x00003004 (ie, LS Pro Duo v3 running 3.05-06 firmware before kernel replacement). I'm not sure if these little lies have anything to do with the confusion in the web UI re disks (I also wasn't able to mount a USB disk, but maybe that didn't work in the stock firmware either... just tried a USB stick for kicks); I'll try and get to the bottom of it over the next few days as I have some time here and there.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:58 am 

I wouldn't use the webui from buffalo, if you customize the linkstation somehow. You could make more wrong than right with the webui and modified environment.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:37 pm 

prodigy7 wrote:
I wouldn't use the webui from buffalo, if you customize the linkstation somehow. You could make more wrong than right with the webui and modified environment.

At least in my case, the whole point of just replacing the kernel with a modded one (vs. installing FreeLink, etc.) was that I wanted to keep the stock UI and functionality, but wanted some extra functionality like NFS that I was happy to manage out-of-band.

If the kernels people have built from Buffalo sources aren't good enough for that, we should probably worry in other ways ;) :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:39 pm 

Hi Folks!

Is it not possible to bootstrap the Buffalo firmware as described in http://buffalo.nas-central.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4075&p=39162#p39162 and then just
install the nfs-server and/or nfs-utils to use nfs with the LS Pro Duo?

Regards,

Marco

EDIT: I found UNFS3 on the net (http://unfs3.sourceforge.net/). I think this could work with the standard kernel, because it does not need kernel support. Has someone tried this out?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:59 am 

Ok, I helped myself and I got UNSF3 an non Kernel-Based NFS solution working on the LS Pro Duo.

Let me describe what I did:

1.) Enable telnet on your LS Pro (how to can be found in the forum)

2.) Install addons.tar (wget) on LS Pro Duo (how to can be found in the forum)

3.) Bootstrap the LS Pro Duo. See http://buffalo.nas-central.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4075&p=39162#p39162
I used the file "teraprov2-bootstrap_1.2-4_arm.xsh" for bootstrapping the LS Pro Duo

4.) Enter "ipkg update" to get latest ipkg packages list

5.) Enter "ipkg install portmap" to install a portmapper

6.) Enter "ipkg install unfs3" to install the user space NFS driver

7.) - open "/etc/exports" in vi : "vi /etc/exports" to add your shares that should be available via NFS
- Press "i" for insert and then add your directory for sharing via NFS:
eg.: /mnt/array1/nfsshare (rw,no_root_squash)
- Press Esc; then wq + Enter to save file

8.) Enter "/opt/etc/init.d/S55portmap" to restart the portmapper

9.) Enter "/opt/etc/init.d/S56unfsd" to restart UNFS3 - this is necessary to get the changes you made in /etc/exports
When you make changes in /etc/exports you always need to restart the unfs3 with "/opt/etc/init.d/S56unfsd".

10.) Be happy to access your files via NFS eg. on linux with the following command:
- mkdir -p /mnt/lspronfs (create mount point)
- mount -o vers=3,tcp,nolock,intr 192.168.1.xx:/mnt/array1/nfsshare /mnt/lspronfs

Some of the paths are only exmaples. You must replace them with your own values and .xx with the IP of you LS Pro Duo.

For more information you should have a look to the following URL that I used for reference: http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Optware/Unfs3

When you restart your LS Pro Duo then NFS will automatically start again.

Have fun!

Regards,

Marco

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:53 am 

Supper!!1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:50 pm 
@mbad
easy to use and works great!!
:biglol: :up: :biglol: :up: :biglol: :up: :biglol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:26 pm 

Great that it also works for you ;-)
Maybe it's not as fast as a kernel based solution, but for me and maybe for most others it's better than nothing.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:10 pm 

does this also apply ?
http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.ph ... oofs_as_ok