Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:37 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Re: Serial @ Pro Duo
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:46 am 

mindbender wrote:
can you please download this picture here:
http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.ph ... _front.jpg

and then use any graphical tool to visually add the pinout there + reupload it to the wiki?
Yes - I'll do it the next days - so that the next one can start directly :-)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:29 pm 

I'm trying to connect a serial to USB TTL-232R-3v3 cable to my LS pro duo but i can't get it working...

On the cable side i have (found from : http://www.ftdichip.com/Documents/DataS ... 32R3V3.pdf):

black :GND
yellow : RX
orange : TX

On hyper terminal side :

Baud: 115200
Databits: 8
Parity: N
Stopbits: 1
Hardware Flow Control: off
Software Flow Control: off

Regarding the pro duo mother board, i think that i did not understood what prodigy7 means by saying :

Quote:
The pinout (if you look on the board from the backside): [GND]-[ ]-[TxD]-[RxD]

i have tested this : http://lezardvolant.free.fr/img/LSPRO_D ... erial1.jpg
and this : http://lezardvolant.free.fr/img/LSPRO_D ... erial2.jpg

I also reversed RXD and TXD but nothing works :(

Can someone tell me where i'm wrong ?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:29 pm 

Maybe this picture helps you ? http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.ph ... B_back.jpg

If your cable is the same like my one, then:
  • GND - White
  • / - /
  • TxD - Black
  • RxD - Red

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:34 pm 

I was also unable to connect RS-232 to my pro duo. This is while I had access to an oscilloscope -- it looked to me as if the RS232 port was jumpered or disabled somehow.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:28 am 

gsmecher wrote:
I was also unable to connect RS-232 to my pro duo. This is while I had access to an oscilloscope -- it looked to me as if the RS232 port was jumpered or disabled somehow.

Which version/release of duo is it?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:06 pm 

prodigy7 wrote:
Okay - I think i doesn't win any price for that, but my duo board has now pins and the cable can pluged to that pins. Now I only need the pinout ;-)

Hey, quick question for you (actually maybe 2):

1. Did you find a nice way to route the serial cable out of the case? I'd be interested since my Pro Duo appears to be a brick currently so my next step to get it back is to add a serial connector and hopefully help it along from there.

2. Do you have 3.03 firmware other than the 3.03-005 from ftp://24.153.165.234/disk1/share/LS%20P ... 0firmware/ ? I tried tftp'ing the initrm/uImage from there without any luck. Maybe it's unhappy because I zapped all the disk partitions, but I thought that was a tried-and-tested way to get a confused box back.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:54 pm 

Hey rkboni,

1. My way, getting the cable out of the case was, remove 2 plastic pins on the ventilation slot on the bottom of the frontend panel. The space is big enough, get the cable out without any problems and let close the case.

2. The first what I done was, getting freelink on my box. So I'd tested no other buffalo firmware images. I also own an revision 1 device which can't updated with revision 3 firmware.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:54 pm 

Thank you for the cable-routing tip...

I was trying to decide whether to mount the header on the CPU side of the board or the backside of the board:

The CPU side had the advantage of not having to worry if the header left enough room to shut the case and easy cable routing out the back (there's a screw hole right above the 'func' button), but the disadvantage of harder access and possibly contact with hot silicon on the business side of the board.

The backside had the advantage of easy access to remove the serial cable and avoidance of hot ICs on the front of the board, but the disadvantage of not having a nice place to route the cable out of (but routing it out the front sounds good), and the possible issue of clearance of the header vs. the case.

If the header fits on the back of the board and lets me close the case I'll probably do the same as you. BTW, have you had any noise on the serial lines? At least the NSLU2 forums suggest possible AC hum on the lines keeping the machine from botting and I'm wondering if it's worth worrying about now.

As for reflashing, I found what appears to be the problem... I was giving it the initrd.img (and renaming it as initrd.buffalo) vs. extracting the initrd.buffalo from the poorly-cloaked zip-as-img file. Oops, somehow that was never clear in the fragmented docs I gathered up.
I'll try to reflash it before soldering anything on the board, but since I have the headers and have a PL2303 cable already sacrificed for the job, that will probably happen soon anyway.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:09 am 

rkboni wrote:
I'll try to reflash it before soldering anything on the board, but since I have the headers and have a PL2303 cable already sacrificed for the job, that will probably happen soon anyway.

With serial access the life is much more easier ;-) So I could test for example the new vanilla kernel for linkstations and can get working it on my duo. The only problem is currently, that the whole control stuff doesn't work. Means: Fan doesn't run / Means: Using this is a longer time is currently very dangerous

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:41 pm 

Yeah, I agree. I've now turned my pro duo into a brick the second time attempting to install mindbender's terastationlive v6 kernel (it appears that the kernel never finds the RAID devices?), and I'm sure working around that would be much easier if I had serial.

Is there a 'stable' kernel one can load up on a v3 LS-WTGL and have it grok the RAID sets? I don't want to replace the whole OS (it's nice having the Buffalo web UI, etc.) but I do want to be able to serve the volumes via NFS.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:57 pm 

Is you boot partition maybe also on raid? If yes, i couldn't boot ... boot / root = no raid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:39 pm 

prodigy7 wrote:
Is you boot partition maybe also on raid? If yes, i couldn't boot ... boot / root = no raid

Yes, my boot partition is also on RAID.

I'm not sure if this is the key, or if the buffalo sanity checks mentioned here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=6531&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=15 are the culprits (/etc/linkstation_release has different info from /proc/buffalo/firmware), since running /linuxrc by hand when I'm in this state shows that it punts because the version checks failed. I can still mount the root at that point (did that to reset it back to the working stock kernel last time vs. zapping the partitions and rebuilding from zero).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:30 am 

rkboni wrote:
prodigy7 wrote:

Yes, my boot partition is also on RAID.

I'm not sure if this is the key, or if the buffalo sanity checks mentioned here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=6531&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=15 are the culprits (/etc/linkstation_release has different info from /proc/buffalo/firmware), since running /linuxrc by hand when I'm in this state shows that it punts because the version checks failed. I can still mount the root at that point (did that to reset it back to the working stock kernel last time vs. zapping the partitions and rebuilding from zero).

As mentioned in the thread above, I do have it working now by 'correctly' re-writing /etc/linkstation_release. There's still issues with disk management in the web UI though. See the other thread (linked above) for more info.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:33 pm 

prodigy7 wrote:
gsmecher wrote:

Which version/release of duo is it?

From the NAS' 'Home' webpage, the model and revision are given as "LS-WTGL/R1-V3 F/W 3.03".

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:51 am 

Can you please post the output of "printenv" and add this information to http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.ph ... and_Values

Thanks