Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:40 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:20 pm 

Hi everyone
I have a serious issue with my LS Pro Duo LS-W2.0TGL/R1. A week ago I wanted to access my NAS and could not reach it via WebInterface or Explorer. I then started the NasNavigator which identified my NAS in the network but said it to be in EM. After some research on the net I was told that the only way to bring a LS out of EM is to flash the firmware. This I did successfully on the first try. Phew, I thought, lucky me.

But this was only the beginning of the Odyssey. The NasNavigator now happily identified my NAS on the net and let me access it. But to my horror I found that my RAID 1 and all the contents was gone, instead NasNavigator showed me the default configuration of RAID 0 :o. I therefore immediately shut the LS down so as not to overwrite any contents of my two RAID 1 HDD which I knew had to be still in there somewhere.

No problem I thought, I have 2 identical disks in there, I simply take one out of the NAS, stick it in a PC and copy its data. Well, a few hours later I learned that Windows 8 cannot read the XFS file format. :x

Ok then, let's set up a Linux box. On my Ubuntu Linux box I get a step further in such that the system tells me that yes, I have a healthy disk with several partitions of which the largest one of about 960GB is a RAID 1 partition. But it doesn't let me mount the drive :cry:

So here I am with 2 healthy drives containing each about 600GB of identical data which I cannot read anywhere! Is anyone out there who can tell me how I could access my data to recover it? Please help!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:11 am 

try
http://forum.nas-hilfe.de/buffalo-technology-nas-anleitungen/datenrettung-von-einer-linkstation-duo-t1872.html

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:49 pm 

Ok, thank you so much. I will try this.

One more question though before I start (since we are in the English forum, I'll continue in English ;) ):
Do I really need to attach both RAID 1 disks to the linux-box? Or could I attach just one in case something goes wrong, then I would still have the other one? Or am I just too paranoid?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:48 pm 

use only one

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:19 pm 

Hi there,
after many hours I still didn't get anywhere. When I try your sequence of commands I get stuck. The first problem arises when I try to issue the "mdadm --assemble" command. The answer then is:
mdadm: /dev/md1 assembled from 1 drive - not enough to start the array.

when I then try the

xfs_repair /dev/md1

I get

superblock read failed, offset 0, size 524288, ag 0, rval 0
fatal error -- Invalid argument

And then of course the mount fails with "ca't read superblock"

Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:59 pm 

Is it really such a hopeless case? Or is it that simple that nobody deems it necessary to post an answer?
I would be REALLY happy and I would sleep much better again if I had my data recovered.

So please...

anybody?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:35 am 

Im deutschen Forum würde ich dir helfen.
Die Übersetzerrei ist mir momentan zu aufwändig.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:35 pm 

ok, fair enough.
The thread moves to the german forum under:
http://forum.nas-hilfe.de/buffalo-links ... t2312.html