Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:20 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:54 pm 
Total Newbie

Hi, I have a media player which is connect to the same network as the Linkstation NAS. But I am unable to view the files in the NAS? Is there any settings in the NAS which I could set in order to allow the access of the files via my media player?

Please kindly advice.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:31 am 

spec07 wrote:
Hi, I have a media player which is connect to the same network as the Linkstation NAS. But I am unable to view the files in the NAS? Is there any settings in the NAS which I could set in order to allow the access of the files via my media player?

It depends on your media player. Some players can access a "Windows Share" aka CIFS or SMB. But most these days cannot. The increasingly popular way to access media files is using DLNA/uPnP protocols, and this requires DLNA software on the NAS, such as Twonky, MediaTomb or (the very old) Fuppes and minidlna (now ReadyMedia).

Another media sharing standard is Apple's iTunes (DAAP) implemented by Firefly/mt-daapd. Plex is a popular media server that implements DLNA/uPnP, and many smart TVs and set-top-boxes have Plex apps/plugins.

Many NASes have DLNA/DAAP servers installed and running as standard, but some NASes require you to add on after first getting root shell access.

My LS Pro Duo has Twonky and mt-daapd installed in the stock firmware, and it's possible to add other servers such as Mediatomb and ushare via Optware.