Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:43 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:55 pm 
Total Newbie

Hi everyone. Im new here and have been reading up on as much as I can find. Unfortunately, this site doesnt have good sticky sections on things. Im looking to either use the Stock firmware modified to run Apache / Lighttpd, host a torrent server, and have remote SSH access, or replace the stock firmware with a debian based derrivative ( which im a bit more familiar with ).

I have already gained root / SSH using acp commander. Ive added additional SSH users ( so as not to compromise root ), and have it set up and running 100% on boot. I havent modified the port forwards on my router yet to check from the outside, but im sure I wont have an issue. I require SSH primarily for port redirects ( socks proxy tunnels ). Since this device already has a full openSSH server ( or so ive read ), I am assuming things will work as it should for this purpose ( the D switch ).

Im not quite a novice to linux, but definitely need help understanding things on arm type devices. Currently I host all my needs on an ubuntu quad core server. Im hoping to migrate the bulk of my services to the NAS to handle as its a ton more power efficient and is already on 24/7.

This is my NAS that I am using : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822165106

Any help / pointers would be greatly appreciated.

PS
I did see guides for debian but they seemed a bit over my head and people stated not everything worked.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:29 pm 
Total Newbie

Update :

Looks like ipkg has most of what I need. I do have a few questions for anyone who has some knowlege of these systems using stock firmware + ipkg.

I see I can install Lighttpd via ipkg. Im assuming i will have to move the default port and redirect it as the stock firmware runs its interface on 80. This shouldnt be too much of an issue. My biggest question is, if I set up a web server ( or bnc irc relay etc ) this way, is there anything special I need to do in order to autostart it at boot time ? Also, does anyone have any experience with OpenVPN? Thanks again in advance !

SSH tunneling works fine although the bandwidth does seem a bit slower than my dedicated server. Only averaging about 5 Mbps, but thats more than enough for streaming netflix and protecting my privacy from my mobile carrier. Working on replacing my apache server + vpn server now :)

I think ipkg might be a better bet for me since I want to keep raid for redundancy. Seems as though debian wont work on a raided nas.