Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:05 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:33 am 
Total Newbie

Hi,

I am having a tough time trying to install a new to me Linkstation. Its model number on the back is LS-W1.0TGL/R1. It has a button label FUNC, a USB port, the on, off, auto switch, an RJ45 port and another USB port below that. I bought this unit with no drives and then purchased two 3TB 7200RPM Toshiba drives.

I can get the box to come up using several different TFTP Boot Recovery pacakages. Under one of the earlier TFTP packages I was able to use acp_commander to login and attempt to run through the procedure from the wiki where you create all the partitions etc. and then unzip the boot files etc and copy them in using a usb stick. This mostly worked except I couldn't format the first partion as ext3. So when I got all done the boot partition wouldn't work and thus the entire install failed.

I have also tried several times to install the firmware etc. using Buffalo's LSUpdater. I get ACP_STATE_FAILURE either right away or after a while.

Based on a thread here (the no frimware one) I called into Buffalo and after a shared screen session the tech on the line suggested that I need to plug the drives into a PC, format then as someting (i.e. NTFS) and then the firmware update would work reformatting them. I tried that, but couldn't completely format them because the SATA-USB adapter I have can't handle the 3TB drives and just shows them as 746GB. I did format both drives NTFS and then attempted to do the firmware update. Again a ACP_STATE_FAILURE. I then thought that perhaps I could login using acp_commander, format the drives as ext3 or xfs or something and try again. Using the TFTP package that seems the most recent (that brings my box up as an LS-WTGL/R1-V3 Series. I can't login. acp_commander -o works but then it won't let me login as root. I booted the box using a different TFTP package and acp_commander let me in, I then formatted the drives as one big partition, rebooted into the LS-WTGL/R1-V3 TFTP package and then tried the firmware update. It thought for a while but then gave me the ACP_STATE_FAILURE.

I am trying fo figure out what my best next step is. Is there some other way I can access the box using using the newest TFTP package? Should I even be using that TFTP package? Is my best bet to keep calling Buffalo? Or take the advice here on these forums? Is there a different acp_commander I should be using with this newer TFTP package?

TIA,

smitj02

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:40 am 

No way.
You need the newest hardware with the newest software to use 3tb drives.
LS-WXL an LS-WVL can use this drives with FW > 1.40.

LS-WXL 600MHz 24/12 MB/s 35€
LS-WVL 1600MHz 75/45 MB/s 70€
on ebay without drives

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:38 pm 
Total Newbie

Ah, so what is the largest drives I can put in this box? I can probably return the 3tb drives and if some 1 or 2tb drives will work then I don't need to lay out more cash.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:35 pm 

try 2tb with 512 bytes per sector
http://www.heise.de/preisvergleich/?phist=390770&age=9999

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:26 pm 

My recent experiences building/re-building my LS-W1.0TGL/R1 gave alsorts of errors but persistance paid off for me. I would get an error swap the drives around or disconnect one and try again and again until it would work. I have not used big hdd's so they may well create their own issues. I used Nasnavigator 2.03 and FW 3.09 (which I have since updated to 3.10).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:58 pm 

Can you please report the kernel versions which is dealing with large disks ?

Hardware: lsproduo2 aka LS-WTGL/R1 (3) | LS-W1.0TGL/R1-EU | MainBoard: MVYAKE4-BA
|
OS: Debian/GNU/Linux jessie armel | Linux: 4.3.0-orion5x-lsproduo2+

Firmware-Orig: LS-WTGL-V3_FwUp_309

PM me to test : debian-8-armel-lsproduo2-20151104rzr.qcow2 ( http://db.tt/gn5Qffd6# )