Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:42 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Rebuilding LS Pro Duo
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:41 am 

My 2nd LS Pro Duo, another seconduser unit arrived ahead of its two drives that were being security wiped. I used a couple of spare hdd's (40gb & 80gb) as a raid 0, set up all the shares and web access etc. When the hdd's arrived (2x500gb)rebuilt it only to find one of them failed straightaway although the unit took "drive 2" out of the raid, it would still hang the nas for long periods of time. Rebuilt the unit again to make sure it does actually work in raid 1 used the original 40gb and another different branded 40gb. The surprising thing was the setup, most of my previous settings were still there. Only had to change to raid 1 and format. From this I assume that the info was by luck on the 40gb (the 80gb has since been rebuilt to win7 in another pc).
Btw; 500's are going to be replaced by the supplier possibly with larger ones!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:45 am 

Have kept hold of the 500gb's and picked up a pair of 1tb drives from the supplier only to find that when I tried to install them they were actually SAS drives. My brief research leads me to believe that it is not worth the hassle trying to adapt them to fit, as the psu will probably fail with the extra power draw anyway. On the plus side the unit is still working on raid 1, albeit at 96.4%!. Anybody on the forum got a 500gb or a pair of anything usable, left over from their upgrade?. As any suitably sized replacement from the supplier looks like they may be a long time coming.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:21 am 

I have since picked up a pair of 160gb disks and decided fit them. Changed them out one at a time letting the raid rebuild. Sure enough ended up with a same size drive as before with all settings intact, formatted the drive but it stayed as the same size.Then for some unknown reason I decided to use the erase disk function. This took some time (overnight) to complete and wiped everything, note to self this is clearly the way to go when selling a nas on. Buffalo Navigator picked the unit up with its now dhcp address. Browsed to admin page (password had factory reset), formatted the drive, created the users, shares, web access etc and copied the data back over from the backups. Only to then realise that it had defaulted to Raid 0. Changing the raid to 1 put the unit into processing mode, after which it came back up showing a smaller drive without visible shares but not saying unformatted. I tried recreating a share and it took with all the data appearing back in it, weird! recreated the rest of the shares again with data still intact. Nas seems to be working okay now. No doubt I will do it all again with some bigger drives, however this time will try changing raid to 0 then back to 1 which I expect to work (quicker and without loosing settings).