Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:52 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 7:16 pm 
Total Newbie

Hi everybody,

I just came into possession of a 1TB (2x500gb) LS Pro Duo. I wanted to setup ISCSI on the device so it can be accessed by my server and environment. I know there is a lot of information out there concerning this on the forum (mostly with custom kernels)- I've spent the last three hours reading through this information and a bit confused with the process.
Is this a relatively easy process? Is it just installing Freelink then installing a package then configuring it?

I think there was a few threads out there asking the same question but... people asked and the responses wasn't completely clear what the steps are. I'm of moderate technical ability. Does anybody have a guide or steps that they can provide to me? (to help me out with this)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

RC

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:49 pm 

just curious what are the benefits over NFS ?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:31 pm 

I looked into it because it moves a lot of work out of the NAS. My main PC can already do BTRFS file system, LVM etc. Where as getting the NAS to do them will be a battle each time.
Unfortunatley the kernel I've got on the NAS doesn't do iSCSI or any any of those other things and the headers aren't available to install the modules, so I'm going to try compiling a kernel anyway. 'probably take disk 2 out of service just in case!

Jim

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:03 am 

I'd be really interested if you have some success with this. I looked into it before and a custom kernel is the only way, but I never got around to spending time learning how to compile a custom kernel, and I was afraid to leave the box dead and unusable.

I'm also trying to get tun/tap enabled in the kernel in order to run openvpn, so I'd like to hear how you go. :up:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:03 pm 

rpinchbeck posted guide at viewtopic.php?f=61&t=23271 to switch to Debian Squeeze. I was running Freelink but flashed back stock by wiping the partition tables. From that starting point the guide is rock solid. I bricked it a few times trying the procedures for the Pro, but this one for the Mini works on the Pro. There's issues with the LED's and the switch, but that applies to any non-stock build.

He also posted a kernel build script here viewtopic.php?f=61&t=23793&p=146815#p146815. If no previous config is available, the script pulls your running config from /proc/config. Once it drops into menu_config, you could just hit exit, save and let it build a new kernel right there. Or enable any options you need.

I still haven't decided if I need iSCSI. My media box can use the Duo via NFSv3. NFSv4 could be fun, but could be overkill with having to get uid's sorted. iSCSI mounting it would make all that go away.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:06 pm 

Reading that back. Don't go wiping your partition tables on my account! Not unless you've got the hang of Buffalo's linkstation updater and the tftp boot thing!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:40 am 

I wouldn't mind giving it a try, I've used the lsupdater before to bring the duo back to life before, my unit in fact was bought without drives.

My problem is 2 fold. I have 3.5 TB of data which is live, no backup. It's non essential from a disaster point of view, but I'd rather not lose it! I cant move it elsewhere and I can't have it offline for a few days while I play around with the duo with some spare drives substituted. I'm pretty much stuck playing with things that will not wipe the partition table, which as I understand it, means sticking with an open stock kernel.

I could get a second unit to play with, but even if I get it working I don't see how I could move it to production without having a spare 4TB in free space, which would mean buying new drives.

I'm a bit weary of trying the script for the stock armel debian, mostly because I'm not confident that I could deal with any problems that arise without losing everything a few time!

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:22 am 

NEVER do nor even think about to mangle with your
firmware and partitions, when you have valuable data on your
box and no backup.
Do a backup first (maybe getting some free "cloud" space or
rent some for a short time?).

If there is no verified backup of a dataset, the dataset, by definition, is unimportant. (c't 2012)

RAID (no matter which level) never ever substitutes a backup. (me)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:52 am 

Cloud space for 3.5 TB! :lol:

It would take me months and months to send, not to mention blow my cap on my internet plan for the next 12 months straight!

Seriously though, it would work if it wasn't so large, or if I'd run them raid mirror instead of striped.

If I got a spare box with the same firmware etc, wouldn't it be possible to compile the kernel, set it all up and then transfer it over?

Biggest issue that I can see is that the drive is striped, so whatever I booted from would need to recognise it as a single drive.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:36 pm 
Total Newbie

Pardon my newbiness,

I am highly interested in converting this NAS to a RAID-1 device sharing a folder (through iScsi) with a Windows machine.

Has anyone successfully installed iScsi support on this machine?

From my bare understanding, it seems that one needs to install a custom kernel in order to enable iScsi. Is this correct? Are the existing guides newbie-friendly?

If one is not satisfied with this custom solution, how easy is it to go back to the stock firmware?

Again, pardon my extreme lack of understanding in this field.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:12 pm 

You will need to install a custom kernel. Not too hard, but there are no difinitive howtos that I'm aware of.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:13 am 

I could help on that on debian jessie base ... but I still dont see any benefit over NFS

Hardware: lsproduo2 aka LS-WTGL/R1 (3) | LS-W1.0TGL/R1-EU | MainBoard: MVYAKE4-BA
|
OS: Debian/GNU/Linux jessie armel | Linux: 4.3.0-orion5x-lsproduo2+

Firmware-Orig: LS-WTGL-V3_FwUp_309

PM me to test : debian-8-armel-lsproduo2-20151104rzr.qcow2 ( http://db.tt/gn5Qffd6# )