Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Mon May 28, 2018 6:25 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Pro Duo serial port
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:58 pm 

Hi,

I just got my LS Pro Duo, and I'm about to try soldering on the RS232 connector. I'm a bit confused by the Wiki article's description of a revision with a disabled serial port. Can anyone elaborate on that a bit? Is there a way to see whether RS232 is enabled or not by looking at the port?

I feel comfortable soldering on the comparatively massive serial port cable, but removing SMD components or putting on bridges between the tiny ports on both sides of C201 frightens me.

Update: Nyech. Tried to remove C201. Failed because I couldn't get the solder on the pads to melt with my standard-issue soldering iron. Soldered in the serial cable anyway. Got whacky signals (data arriving on serial even with the Linkstation unplugged), resoldered GND. Then, got no data at all, so decided to desolder the serial cable and reassemble the device.

Now it appears that I have a short between the GND and serial holes on the board, which I can't seem to figure out. I don't know that much about electronics, but there are no solder remains in or around the holes and no other obvious conductive links. Any saving ideas on what one could do with this?

Post subject: Re: Pro Duo serial port
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:09 pm 

Oh, to partially answer my own question: There's a design revision printed on the board. Mine says "MVYAKE4-BA" and definitely has cut serial pins.

Post subject: Re: Pro Duo serial port
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:33 pm 

themel wrote:
Mine says "MVYAKE4-BA" and definitely has cut serial pins.

Got MVYAKE4-BA too , are they any known hardware mods ? please confirm it has UART cutoff ?

search.php?keywords=MVYAKE4-BA&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Hardware: lsproduo2 aka LS-WTGL/R1 (3) | LS-W1.0TGL/R1-EU | MainBoard: MVYAKE4-BA
|
OS: Debian/GNU/Linux jessie armel | Linux: 4.3.0-orion5x-lsproduo2+

Firmware-Orig: LS-WTGL-V3_FwUp_309

PM me to test : debian-8-armel-lsproduo2-20151104rzr.qcow2 ( http://db.tt/gn5Qffd6# )