Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:03 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:24 pm 

Hi,
My prior saga took 7 days of cursing to resolve, but at long last I've got Lenny on my wee linkstation and hence things
are looking good.
The only problem is that after a cold boot, the device does that "slow fading" of the power LED and basically sits there
doing not much else. Having fixed my PC to have IP address 192.168.11.149 , I can access the linkstation via netcat,
but it stalls at the stage having said "Booting using flat device tree at 0x7f0000" .

When it stalls like this, I hold down the power button on the front and it does close down. Three seconds of silence
afterwards, I then push the power button again and this time the little nuisance of a box boots fully up into Lenny 2.6
and is great.

Is there anything I can do to make it boot "all the way" when booting from cold? Sometimes I do see the red flashing
lights on the front, but since it resolves itself (albeit with the palaver of poweroff-then-quick-reboot) this feature is
more nuisance than terminal.

Any help appreciated; when it does boot eventually the uname -a includes: 2.6.25.20-svn365-dirty493 .

That seven days of grief to get the box booting at all has had me swimming in lots of detail, and I eventually got so
punch drunk that I guess I might have tried commands at random in order to elicit a response. If you need version numbers
to help me, can you guide me on how to do this please? I appreciate that that is presumptious, but if you don't ask... :-)

Regards

Mungo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:28 am 
Site Admin

Are you trying to boot /dev/sda1 (good) or /dev/hda1 (no longer good)?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:28 pm 

andre wrote:
Are you trying to boot /dev/sda1 (good) or /dev/hda1 (no longer good)?

Hi Andre,
Nice to converse with you again (just trying some "flattery" :-)

I guess when you ask how I am trying to boot, I need to get into the U-boot mode and see what the parameters are?
I started netcat and managed to interrupt the boot process. I'm not sure what commands I ought to be playing with - an
idle attempt at "mtest" (or whatever its called) meant killing the damn thing from the mains power socket! ;-)

Anyways, whilst in netcat I found out that my Uboot is version 1.2.0, there's some mention of "root=/dev/sda1",
there's mention of "boot/kuroboxHG.dtb" and the booting looks like it tries "boot/uImage".

Are all these files off the hard disk straight, or do they refer to some in-flash-memory copy of Linux (there was lots of
talk about some 2.4 version, but I got so damn confused)?

Bluntly, just tell me what commands to try and where and I will come back with the info required.

Thanks Andre, sincerely.

Mungo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:59 am 
Site Admin

The kernel, .dtb and stuff is indeed on the hard disk, now all we have to do is convince the system to use it <g>

All that sounds rather like some HDD lag than like an uboot issue to me.

Here's what I would do: Turn the LS off, disconnect the power chord and the IDE cable, let the LS sit for a couple of hours, connect the power chord and start the LS with no HDD connected (which will fail), wait for about five minutes, remove the chord, replug both cables, and don't forget to cross your fingers.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:49 am 

Hi Andre,
Thanks again.
I'm following your recipe blindly, but haven't completed it yet.
I'm curious: what are you hoping to achieve with this disconnect-poweron-poweroff-reconnection?
Something to do with some internal battery thing (did I spot a one-farad capacitor on the board - if so, I'd not like to short that thing!)

Some explanation of the reasoning behind your recipe would be good to read, so that myself
and others will bug you less in the future.

Thankyou again for your help. I will get back to you once I reassemble the box.

Regards

Mungo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:07 pm 

Hi again Andre,
Okays, so I've reassembled the wee box and then fired it up as normal: no change.
As it starts from cold, within the first (guess) 30 seconds the red LED flashes seven
times. The first flash looks a little like a "stutter", but then the next six flashes are
spaced out evenly.
Then it rattles the hard disk. Then it sits quiet for (guess) 60 seconds whilst the power led slowly
fades up and down.
Then after about two minute, the hard disk bursts into life and when it settles down the power
led is a steady green.
But it doesn't respond to its DHCP IP address and I'd wager money that it is sitting listening
at 192.168.11.150 (haven't tested that yet, but methinks my hypothesis is correct).
A quick power-down (hold the power button down for five seconds) and then a quick restart and
we are cooking fine... DHCP IP and telnet and off I go.

Weird this: power up from cold is bad but power up from warm is fine.

Anything else I can try except to use it as a rugby ball??

Thanks

Mungo

P.S. If you want accurate timings for all these LED flashes then I'm happy to supply them.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:23 am 

no expert but it sounds like a capacitor is wonky

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:42 pm 
Site Admin

Please get to a uboot prompt and post the output of "printenv".

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:56 pm 

Hi Folks,
Haven't got round to the uboot "printenv" just at the moment, but thought I would send an update
to the kind folks who have helped me.
Call me old-fashioned, but if it's not that inconvenient I tend to switch things off at the mains if the
device is not being used, as some sort of therapuetic "comfort" to ward off any chance of any combustion
happening. So it may come as no surprise when I tell folk that I've been powering off the misbehaving NAS
at the mains socket every night after I shut it down.
When its sat there with no power, the boot problem happens the next time I boot it.
On some nights I have been remiss in not switching the device off at the wall, and I was surprised the
next day when it powered up perfectly when I pressed the on-case button.

So the conclusion is that IF I remove all power to the device, it somehow "forgets" what it is meant to do.
But if I power it down but leave power available then it seems to remember its state and then when it
is booted it works fine.

Some sort of "capacitor" problem then I guess.
With pretty decent mains-supply here where I live, methinks I will just leave the box enabled and see how
it goes. Anyone care to comment whether I do need to attend to the capacitor or can I just leave well alone?

Thanks in advance

Mungo