Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:10 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:36 pm 
Total Newbie

Hi

I have a Linkstation Pro LS-GL FW1.15, appears to be the 'new' hardware version.

It's set to do a daily back up (incremental, adding new files and not deleting anything) to a drive which is plugged into the NAS. This worked perfectly for 12 months, then I got a macbook and something went wrong.

The backup proceeds ok, then the setup page says "an error occurred during backup". The error in the log is always:
Code:
rsync: cannot stat destination "/mnt/usbdisk1/_backups": Input/output error (5)
rsync error: errors selecting input/output files, dirs (code 3) at main.c(493) [receiver=2.6.8]
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (8 bytes received so far) [sender]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(463) [sender=2.6.8]

Sometimes the backup proceeds the next night perfectly well, but most of the times I have to set it up again. When I do, it backs up fine but still reports the same error. It appears to fail a lot on 'hidden' osx files which I can't get rid of - and anyway, accessing the NAS from my mac simply puts them back again.

I've reformatted the backup drive twice. Buffallo can't help and don't even seem to know what it means!

Any ideas? I'm essentially doing manual backups at the moment, which is not safe. And more recently I've added some video files which cause the back-ups to fail completely - I reformatted the backup drive again and set the whole thing off, and it hasn't managed to complete a full initial backup with a load of 'rsync failed to set permissions' errors.

I'm no Linux expert, but handy enough to flash with alternative firmwares etc provided I won't need to use command line codes for day to day operation.