Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:44 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:53 pm 

Hi

It's been around 3 weeks since I got this HD-HLAN box (ppc). First time, I didn't like it since samba and netatalk were outdated. I'll be using it as media storage and they are mainly Korean.

There's no problem with stock firmware in Windows environment but since I got few Mac machines it's very crucial.

(From Mac)
If I connect via smb, all Korean characters are corrupted (don't understand what's the point of choosing encoding option in web interface)

Also if I use AFP it display Korean correctly, however it limits file length to 32 characters and won't display files longer than that. Since Korean character takes double space, it's not usable still.

I can buy a unit which does everything I want out of box but I still love this fail & learning process.

So, what I'm really trying to acheive here is to get samba updated (above 3.x) or latest AFP if it is compatible with longer than 32 chars.

First, I got Openlink installed but had many trouble since I'm like new-to-linux person. There were instructions like 'use apt-get to install...' or 'use dpkg to ... ' however Openlink doesn't seem to come with those packages.

Freelink seems to have all those necessary packages but I still get lots of errors with no luck. But I think Freelink is better option for me since it has more fundamental binaries at least. I'm in about 30th attempt recovering firmware now, hopefully I can post some error messages I'm getting now

I understand how people contribute to the wiki and really appreciate their effort. Without them I wouldn't even be able to come to this stage. Thank you very much

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:04 pm 
Site Admin

Do you know the Mac article? http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Mac

Not sure if netatalk 2.0.3 is recent enough for you though.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:30 pm 

If it is Samba 3 that you want then you can install the OpenTera package from http://homepage.ntlworld.com/itimpi/opentera.htm, and then the 3.0.37 Samba package. Although those packages are targetted at Terastations they also install quite happily on my HD-HLAN system running OpenLink.

The netatalk 2.0.6 package also installs quite happily on the LinkStations running OpenLink if you would prefer to use that.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:04 pm 

andre wrote:
Do you know the Mac article? http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Mac

Not sure if netatalk 2.0.3 is recent enough for you though.

Yes, it was my starting point actually :P

With Openlink, there's no apt-get or dpkg (binary is there but missing libraries) available so can't do
much about it. Freelink also emits errors and no go (I'm meant to follow the command line sequence, ain't I ?)

Not sure, from what version it gets rid of the '32 character limitation' but it will be great if I can figure out how to install netatalk. Actually, I prefer afp when connecting to mac so samba 2.x(stock one) + netatalk 2.0.x ( if that fixes the limitation issue ) will do what I want

Last edited by minimoo on Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:10 pm 

Again, for people lilke me (linux dummies), it is quite hard to follow because
there is not clear guide on what pre-requisites are (based on out-of-box Openlink or Freelink state)
I'm actually happy to contribute on the Wiki if only I can find out what those pre-requisites are :(

I've recently got so many $hi& in my life hence I'm slowing down on the "HD-LAN & linux learning project"
but it now gives me more $hi& because the LS1 has been left open in my bedroom for 2 weeks. I'm not
happy looking at it :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:15 pm 

itimpi wrote:
If it is Samba 3 that you want then you can install the OpenTera package from http://homepage.ntlworld.com/itimpi/opentera.htm, and then the 3.0.37 Samba package. Although those packages are targetted at Terastations they also install quite happily on my HD-HLAN system running OpenLink.

The netatalk 2.0.6 package also installs quite happily on the LinkStations running OpenLink if you would prefer to use that.

Wow, that's new information because I've been ignoring whatever start with 'Tera-'

I will give it a try and let you know. So is there any other steps involved (except installing Tera -> installing Samba) ?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:57 pm 

The OpenTera and Samba downloads are ZIP files. After each of them has been diownloaded and unzipped to somewhere on the Data share, you go into the relevant folder from within a telnet session and run the Update_xxxx scripts. These will take you through the update asking any questions required as they go. The OpenTera one needs to be run first (or the Samba one will complain about missing pre-requisites).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:34 am 

You know what, the Opentera works like a charm!!

I just copied all relevant files to hda3 and ran scripts from there

but somehow still getting following issues

- SMB works fine in Windows (guest access) but Mac (Snow Leopard) can't write, read is fine.
- After installing SSH, it refuses connection, tried reinstall but no luck
- Somehow telnet connection missing fundamental binaries, such as 'ls' so it's impossible to browse folders via telnet connection (how to recover ? )

- In older netatalk (stock one) it displayed Korean fine on my Mac (but 32 characters limit).
I installed netatalk 2.0.5 which was listed with Opentera link then Korean characters are corrupted :(

I believe it's something with netatalk setting ? what should I edit it ?

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 12:56 am 

minimoo wrote:
- SMB works fine in Windows (guest access) but Mac (Snow Leopard) can't write, read is fine.
I am afraid I ahve no idea - I do not have a Mac system to test against.
Quote:
- After installing SSH, it refuses connection, tried reinstall but no luck

The OpenTera package would have installed this automatically. This is the same version as is normally used with OpenLink. Did you try and install it again later? I know that trying to install SSH if it is already installed can cause problems.
Quote:
- Somehow telnet connection missing fundamental binaries, such as 'ls' so it's impossible to browse folders via telnet connection (how to recover ? )

That I do not understand and have never heard of before.

You might try the command
/bin/busybox
to check that is there.
Normally the stock binaries are set up as symbolic links to busybox, but as long as that is running OK you can always get at them by using command like
/bin/busybox ls

Quote:

- In older netatalk (stock one) it displayed Korean fine on my Mac (but 32 characters limit).
I installed netatalk 2.0.5 which was listed with Opentera link then Korean characters are corrupted :(

I am afraid I do not know what does this. As I do not have a Mac I do not really use netatalk in anger but I know other are using it OK.
In terms of setting I would suggest looking at the netatalk documentation at http://netatalk.sourceforge.net/

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 6:49 am 

minimoo wrote:

Sounds like a missing/corrupted /etc/profile.
If you are connected via telnet, try a "set" and look for the PATH variable.
If it does not contain /bin and /sbin, this would explain the behaviour you
experienced. You then have to check the "/etc/profile" for errors when executing
(e.g. via ". /etc/profile" or "sh /etc/profile").

If there is no verified backup of a dataset, the dataset, by definition, is unimportant. (c't 2012)

RAID (no matter which level) never ever substitutes a backup. (me)

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 8:58 am 
Site Admin

minimoo, regarding the charset -- what are your

# codepage options [syntax: options:charsetname]
# volcharset -> specifies the charset to be used as the volume codepage
# e.g. "UTF8", "UTF8-MAC", "ISO-8859-15"
# maccharset -> specifies the charset to be used as the mac client codepage
# e.g. "MAC_ROMAN", "MAC_CYRILLIC"
#

options in /etc/netatalk/AppleVolumes.default (resp. /etc/atalk/AppleVolumes.default) set to?

By the way, you can extract the files from the debian etch netatalk 2.0.3, or any other .deb (Debian archive file), with the help of the "ar" program. You can find it on my server, see below.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 9:55 am 

Ok let me quickly updated what I've done

1. Restored to clean Openlink firmware
2. basic network setting (/etc/resolv.conf & /etc/networking/interfaces)
3. installed OpenTera
4. As soon as OT installation finishes 'ls' command is no more available in telnet
5. logged into SSH
6. disabled automatic configuration of netatalk, samba, ftp conf files ( in chkshare )
7. installed netatalk, samba
8. samba works fine but same symtom (no write for Mac)
9. netatalk only broadcasting 'info' so as soon as I connect to afp://IPADDRESS, it mounts 'info'
folder straight away (without folder selection )
10. try to have a look at configuration file for netatalk but netatalk folder doesn't exist under /etc/
11. tried reboot and now the maching won't boot up (POWER, LAN led works normal without warning led
but can't detect the machine )

12. Also power button on the unit doesn't work so I have to pull the power cable out. is this normal ?

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 11:53 am 

I do not understand how the 'ls' command has been lost after Step 3. It is almost as if some of the steps in the Opentera install have failed!

Did you use the 'y 'option to press ENTER after each stage so you could see if any errors were flagged? Normally after the OpenTera install the ls command is installed in /usr/local/bin and there is a symbolic link to that set up under /bin/ls. However if something went wrong with the install of the 'coreutils' package (which installs all the standard utilities under /usr/local/bin) that could explain your symptoms.

Also it is important that /usr/local/bin is on the standard search path. This would normally be set up in the /etc/profile file. You could do the 'set' command to see the current PATH setting. You could also try using
/usr/local/bin/ls
to run the ls command via an absolute path to see if that works.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 4:23 pm 

itimpi / it isn't really major issue at the moment. The 'ls' works in SSH anyway. I'm linux dumb so I'm not sure

what exactly happened. Now, system turns on normally but cannot be detected on the network. I also couldn't use POWER switch to restart the machine, I have to plug the cable out to turn it off.

Weird... I will have to open the machine up to re partition then try again...

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 6:05 pm 

The 'ls' command should work the same whether you are connected via telnet or via ssh so that is really strange!

You might want to do the 'set' command I mentioned to check that the search path is correct. It should also now include /usr/local/samba3/bin