Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:53 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:53 pm 
Total Newbie

hi,

I just tried to install openlink following "way 1" in http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.php/Getting_OpenLink_working_on_a_LS-HS, but it failed (Fw updater.exe said "failed", I waited some more amount with no LED activity and rebooted).

Now the box only comes up in a reduced emergency mode, only a ftp server is running (scanned with nmap) which looks like:

220 HD-HGLAN-EM FTP server (Version 6.4/OpenBSD/Linux-ftpd-0.17) ready.
Name (linkstation:root):

If I power it on normally it gets its IP address from my DHCP server and power LED and link LED go green (and only ftp is running). If I power on with red "init" button pressed it seems to enter Emergency Mode (all LEDS blinking green/red/red/red, IP is 192.168.11.150) but still only the ftp port is open. no telnet at 1234, no 22936/udp.

So I can not use the FW flasher again, because it doesn't find the HS-DGL.

I also can power it off by pressing Power for a while.

So it seems it is not completely bricked, but unless I can use that ftp server ... ? Does anybody know a username/password combination for the EM-ftp server? And maybe some hints how to continue?

Thanks

Albrecht

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:08 pm 
Site Admin

In EM mode you should still have ftp and the updater client running on 192.168.11.150. If you power up with the reset button held in this just enables the watchdog override and flashes all the LEDs to indicate this. Unless you have replaced your firming.bin then you will not have telnet and telnet on 1234 is only accessible from normal mode. You should still be able to access the updater if the box is still in EM mode. Ping the box on 192.168.11.255 to see if the client updater responds.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:33 pm 
Total Newbie

yes I can ping it in EM mode (boot with reset button) at 192.168.11.150 and in normal mode (no reset) at the address given out by my DHCP server.

I guess I found the reason for not finding the box with the updater now:

As described in "way 1" I had to use the HS-DGL updater to modify my HS-DGL into a HD-HGLAN.

After the failed flash I tried again with the HS-DGL updater, but now I have to use the HD-HGLAN updater.

At least it finds it now.

So should I just try to reflash, this time with the HD-HGLAN updater?

BTW: it seems to be japanese version of the updater (that in hg-openlink-051b.zip), at least I can not read anything beside the ip addess it has found. I'll have to look for an english one ...

thanks

albrecht

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:04 pm 
Total Newbie

I just used the japanese version blindly, it worked.

It may be that this is not the recommended way (in case of failure there will be no readable information):

If the updater shows the correct IP (taken from DHCP):

Start the update with the largest button (left button inlower part of window), on the next window the old and new firmware version will be shown (in my case old=0.00 (because it had failed), new 1.46) and an input box for the (old) root password will be shown, there was only on button to continue. then it wents straightforward with many unreadable messages and several progress bars until a last on e with an ok button.

But I think it would be good if somebody would replace the HDGLan updater in the 0.51 zip file with an english version (or at least mention an additionla download link in the install wiki page).

... I ll now continue my setup.

bye

albrecht

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:31 pm 
Site Admin

You can go ahead and make the changes in the Wiki. Anything you can do to improve the documentation as you go is appreciated.