Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:29 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:41 pm 
Total Newbie

My problem started about a week after I bought the HS-DH500GL. The power went out in the building that I live in and when I power the unit back up everything looked fine. But after about 5 - 10 minutes the unit would start beeping and the Red Error Light would flash 4 times. I could not find the unit on the network either. I powered the unit on and off several times and finally found the unit using the NAS Navigator. But when I found the unit it had No Workgroup and No Firmware Displayed. I updated the Firmware twice and then the unit started to work.

The unit worked fine without any problems for about 3 weeks. Again I lost power to the unit and again I cannot fine it on the network. The unit seems to boot up but the Power Light Flashes and never goes Solid. After about 5 – 10 minutes the unit starts beeping and the Error Light Flashes 4 times. I have tried everything I done the first time with no luck. I still cannot fine the unit on the network.

A couple of other things that might help….

1) The fan is not turning when the unit is powered up. I have not seen the fan run at all on power up.

2) I can hold down the Reset Button on the back and then Power the unit up it will make a different sound and the Power Light will remain Solid but I still cannot fine the unit on the Network.

3) I have looked for the unit using computers with Vista and XP Pro. I can find my LS-250 but not my LS-500. I also have a 250 GB Simple Share on my network that I have no problems finding.

Any Help with this problem would be appreciated.

Trevor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:17 pm 
Site Admin

try this:

boot the LS Live for about 30 seconds. then turn it off by pressing the power button long.

do this 3 times.

then your box should be in EM Mode hopefully. you see that when the led gets solid that the box booted completely...regardless if EM Mode or hdd-mode.

then the question is where to find it on which ip. try the LS-Updater....but remember to edit the lsupdater.ini. there is a variable called VersionCheck. modify the end of the file to look like this:
Code:
[Flags]
VersionCheck = 0

[SpecialFlags] 
Debug = 1

a user lately told wrote that lsupdater.exe did not find his box when VersionCheck was enabled.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:55 pm 
Total Newbie

Minbender,

Thanks for your help, everything worked fine. I have updated the Firmware to 2.03 the Newest one I could fine.

One Question...

After I got the unit into EM Mode and found it with LS-Updated again it had WORKGROUP AS UNKNOWN and FIRMWARE VER. AS -------. This is the second time I have had this problem. Should I replace the unit...? Is it going bad?

Thanks again for all your help.
Trev

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:44 pm 
Site Admin

thats normal when it is in EM Mode.
possibly you got your box in EM Mode.

no need for replacing it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:36 am 
Total Newbie

Thanks again for all your help.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:34 pm 
Total Newbie

i have the same problem ... how can i get out of the EM mode and go back to normal?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:16 am 
Total Newbie

mindbender wrote:
try this:

Here's a twist for you. I have the same model and it was doing the same thing. Since it had nothing on the drive before and I wasn't concerned about saving data, I decided to reflash it. I found an article on this site which describes how to reflash the firmware, but it doesn't see the drive on the network.

The twist is that I deleted all of the partitions on the drive in anticipation of them being recreated by the lsupdater.exe application. Aside from what you describe here, is there anything special I need to do because the target drive is blank?

One aside, and this may be a stupid question, but why don't people just default drives, image them using whatever tools for Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, etc... and make those available? Wouldn't that simplify everything? I image systems all the time as a sysadmin. Seems like a quick way to get around the problems these things have.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:11 pm 
Site Admin

mobodojo,

I just now notice that this thread is in the wrong subforum. It is currently in the PowerPC-LSHG-LS/HS-Kurobox HG subforum. (it is easy to tell, since the PowerPC units never had the capability to make a beeping sound)

Do you have a PowerPC unit or an ARM9 unit? it makes all the difference in the world.

BTW, the LSUpdater.exe program takes care of all formatting - since the firmware requires the hdd to be formatted into ext2/3 and xfs, it really doesn't make any difference what a person formats the hdd to before running the updater. (the requirement goes back to the kernel & modules, linux 2.6.1x.y - can't remember exactly what the version is... but Buffalo/Melco chose those two filesystems (ext2/3 & xfs) because of speed & stability - in the context of an embedded device & the ARM9 processor)

KuroPro, LS2 & KuroHG (foonas)
Working on davysweather.dyndns.org lately...

=> wooohooo!
wooohooo!
Unknown command 'wooohooo!' - try 'help'