Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:20 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:07 am 

I apologize in advance for the length of this post. I am about ready to pull my hair out.

My husband, an IT guy, dropped dead from sudden cardiac arrest nearly five years ago. When everything was connected in the original network, I could still access this Buffalo drive with all of our photos, Email communications spanning years, etc. Then I lost my home and had to move. I no longer have the desktop that I was able to access the Buffalo drive with, but I do have his laptop. After several difficult years, I am ready to try to access the data again. But, no go.

The drive is mapped to this laptop, but I cannot access it whatsoever. I am slightly technical, in that range of dangerous. None of my IT engineer friends have been able to help me either. So, I'm coming here; maybe among this group someone can get me back into this data store of our life together.

Here is my basic set up, and what happens each time I try to access the drive. I'll give as much information as I can.

D530 running WindowsXP.
Connected wirelessly to the 'net; Buffalo is connected to the same old Linksys router we had at the house.
Port 1 on this router is dead. Port 2 has the Buffalo connected with the flat white cable that comes with the drives.
Port 3 has Cat5 connection to the laptop. Both port lights are lit on the Linksys router.
The Buffalo is mapped as a drive under 'My Computer' with a fixed IP address.

Since I have brand new, still in the box units (IT guys, they save everything), I pulled out the Navigator CD to see if I could install the drive directly to the PC. No.
It saw it, told me the model, and then took me to the installation...which turned red and then said 'error'. Now it will not even do that, just says the Linkstation cannot be found on the network
When I initially ran the Navigator, it would pull the IP, the Gateway, the MAC address and all. Now it won't even do that.
Power is on, Link is lit, no funny sounds at boot up, like the drive has crashed.

When I directly click the mapped drive under "My Computer", it says "An error occurred while reconnecting, the network path was not found."

Also, initially I could see the device when I ran ipconfig /all and I could ping the .100 address, but never the actual IP of the drive, it always timed out. Now, I cannot even see the .100 in ipconfig /all.

Again, I apologize for the length and possible ignorance in this post. I just don't know where else to turn to access the stuff on this drive.

Thank you in advance for your insight and possible solution(s).

Regards,
~H

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:44 am 

If the Buffalo is configured with a fixed IP address, you need to have the
laptop within the same subnet (IP address has to start with the same
numbers, but has to differ in the last (at least) number).
Unfortunately you didn't tell us, which IP address the box has, which IP
address the laptop has nor which address range the router is providing
to its clients. In addition to this, you didn't tell us, if the router is serving
as a DHCP server (that is the machine, providing clients with dynamic IP
addresses, if they are not configured with fixed IPs) at all.
If the IP addresses are from the range 192.168.x.x, or 172.16-32.x.x, or
10.x.x.x, this means "private network" aka. no access FROM internet is
possible. Every other range (except 164.254.x.x) is "public network" aka.
access FROM internet.
Summary: you gave not enough information to us for valuable help.

DO NOT USE the NASNavigator for ANYTHING regarding the box.
You can make it worse with this "dummy" tool.

If there is no verified backup of a dataset, the dataset, by definition, is unimportant. (c't 2012)

RAID (no matter which level) never ever substitutes a backup. (me)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:58 am 

kenatonline wrote:
If the Buffalo is configured with a fixed IP address, you need to have the
laptop within the same subnet (IP address has to start with the same
numbers, but has to differ in the last (at least) number).
Unfortunately you didn't tell us, which IP address the box has, which IP
address the laptop has nor which address range the router is providing
to its clients. In addition to this, you didn't tell us, if the router is serving
as a DHCP server (that is the machine, providing clients with dynamic IP
addresses, if they are not configured with fixed IPs) at all.
If the IP addresses are from the range 192.168.x.x, or 172.16-32.x.x, or
10.x.x.x, this means "private network" aka. no access FROM internet is
possible. Every other range (except 164.254.x.x) is "public network" aka.
access FROM internet.
Summary: you gave not enough information to us for valuable help.

DO NOT USE the NASNavigator for ANYTHING regarding the box.
You can make it worse with this "dummy" tool.

Thank you for your reply. I will try to answer. I pretty much feel like a 'dummy' tool at the moment.

The laptop pulls its IP from the wireless internet router, 192.168.1.* (showing Yes by DHCP)
The Linksys router appears as MAC Bridge Miniport 192.168.0.* (showing No by DHCP)
The Buffalo drive has an IP of 172.50.50.*

At one point the, Broadcom adapter showed a matching IP of 172.50.50.100 (although I still could not access the drive); now it appears in IP config as the Miniport, pulling its IP in the 192.168 range.

I was able to install a new Buffalo device (trying to see what happens when one is installed for clues) directly to the laptop, using a crossover cable between the new Buffalo device and the laptop. It mapped itself to L: drive by name, no IP. So I assumed that the fixed IP of the drive might be the issue, but I have no idea how to resolve that disparity.

I'll not use the NASNavigator, got it!

Again, thank you for your reply, and I hope the information that I have provided is more valuable for finding a solution. I appreciate your patience.

~H

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:26 pm 

If the Buffalo box has an IP address of 172.50.50.*, the probability is
high, the netmask of the box is 255.255.0.0.
It is not possible (without a >>configured<< router inbetween) to access
this IP from a machine with an IP starting 192.168.x.x.
This means, you need the laptop to be in the same IP range.
I assume the laptop is running Windows.
Go to the Windows Control Panel and select the network adapter.
Go to the Property page and select the IPv4. Right mouse button aka.
context menu will give you the possibility to edit the IPv4 properties.
Take a look at the present settings and remember them for a restore
later.
Change to a static IP with 172.50.50.234 and netmask 255.255.0.0.
Save the changes and close the property pages.
Open a command line window (Start -> run -> cmd.exe -> enter).
Start with the IP you think you remembered to be the Buffalo one:
ping 172.50.50.100
If you get no response, you can either try every IP in the range of 0 to
255 (read: ping 172.50.50.0 ping 172.50.50.1 ... ping 172.50.50.255)
or go to the windows explorer (the file manager, not the internet browser).
Extra -> network drive -> browse. Maybe the Buffalo box will show up
there.
If you found the IP of the Buffalo box, use the Extra -> network drive and
enter "//172.50.50.<number you found for the BUffalo box>/share".
This should give you access to the "share" share.
You can also enter the IP into an Internet Explorer window to get to the
admin page of the Buffalo box.
User is "admin" and password is whatever your husband set (try "password"
first).

If there is no verified backup of a dataset, the dataset, by definition, is unimportant. (c't 2012)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:05 pm 

Heh, it took me a while to figure out that you meant for me to go into the TCP/IP settings on the adapter. No IPV4 choice on this dinosaur Dell running XP.

Two questions though before I go changing the IP settings.

There is a Broadcom Adapter listed, and also a MAC Mini Port Bridge, and the Broadcom shows that it is bridged with no access to settings. Do I need to unbridge so that I can modify the Broadcom adapter IP settings, or do I modify the MAC Mini Port Bridge IP settings? The bridge is currently the only device that I can access the TCP/IP properties on.

Also, the Linksys router is not hardwired to the laptop, it is running via wireless. Do I need to hardwire the Linksys to the laptop?

Thank you again for dropping down to the newbie arena to try and help me out. I know how tedious that can be for people way past such things. I have to go to work today, so I won't get to try this until tonight.

~H

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:25 pm 

WLAN is a special beast with special problems.
Some broadcasting stuff is not working reliable via WLAN and
Buffalo is using broadcasting stuff for some fancy things (like
the NASNavigator-Dummy-Click-App).
If you can, disable the WLAN and use a regular LAN cable for
connecting the laptop to the router (or if you just want to save
the data from the box to the laptop, you can even connect the
laptop directly to the Buffalo box, but use this as a last resort).
If you have corrected the configuration, you can switch back to
WLAN.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:53 pm 

Well, the Linksys router died. So, I'm hauling the drive in to work to borrow an engineer's spare router. I thought it might be my cable, but I tested the cables on a different laptop and got link lights, so, the Linksys gave up the good fight.

This has been the most frustrating endeavor, ever. I'll come back and let you know if I'm able to get in using the other router. If not, I'll seek your direction on either how to just get the data off the drive, perhaps maybe by USB transfer, treating it like any old hard drive, or attempting to connect it directly to the laptop.

My late husband locked this thing up like a new bride in medieval times. Maybe there are offshore bank account numbers in there and I won't have to work so hard, hah! It has been a lesson in how to treat my hardware, for my children, in case something ever happens to me, that's for sure.

Thanks again for your continued assistance. Hopefully, when I return next time, it will be just to say "I'm in!!!"

~H

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:41 am 

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnd, we have success!!!! :biglol:

I was so happy, I cried, and embarrassed the engineer helping me out from work. Rather than part with a beloved piece of his hardware (loaning me a router), and probably fearing placing it in the hands of a slightly technical co-worker, he offered to take a look at the drive for me. It took him a day between work and fiddling in his spare time, and this morning he announced he was IN! He's currently transferring all of the data to the new drive that I was able to successfully connect to my home laptop, sans fixed IP address. Then I'd like to reformat the old drive for use in the future, again, with no pesky fixed IP address. I recently moved into the engineering department at work, and this guy happens to be right across the cubicle row from me. It was a great welcome to the new cubicle farm.

My daughter's college graduation videos were on there, along with so many other pieces of our lives.

Thank you kenatonline, for taking the time to offer assistance in a place more geared to techies and much further advanced skillsets than I possess.

I may be back, if I can't determine how to reformat the drive for further use. But this is one happy Buffalo owner at the moment :)

Thank you again for your time and patience.

~H

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:33 am 

Glad you got help at your site.
Have fun with your digital memories and think about the
"things" in my signature.
A dataset without a backup is, by definition, unimportant.
Have at least two copies of the valuable data on two different
locations. The next hurricane or thunderstorm or burning
home or flooded home is "just around the corner".
And don't be feared by this pessimistic view, but we saw a lot
of tragedies in this forum already (related to lost data). ;-)