Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:55 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:58 am 
Total Newbie

Hello all!

First off I'd like to point out I'm a total noob with regards to NAS drives and firmware flashing. This isn't to say I can't follow/comprehend instructions though!

I recently got hold of an old Linkstation Live 500GB drive from work (HS-DHGL v2) and have already upgraded the drive to a 2TB. Now, I've also recently setup a dual Raspberry Pi system for my media/downloads (one running OpenELEC, the other running Raspbian with Sabnzbd/Sickbeard/Couchpotato for automated downloads). The Linkstation acts as the storage for both of these devices (mounted via CIFS on the autodownloader and via SMB share for XBMC).

Now, after getting it all setup there are a few things I kinda wish the drive supported, but doesn't, hence why I'm here. Basically, I'm looking to install a custom firmware on the drive that will allow things like; SSH access, WOL, drive spin down (sleep mode, if you will), NFS sharing etc.

Like I said, I'm new to all things NAS, so I'd be really appreciative if someone can point me in the right direction. I've noticed there are a couple of different versions of custom firmware for this drive. Which would be best based on what I require? Is one more stable than another? Also, I've already managed to fill nearly 50% of the drives capacity...I take it there's no way of performing an upgrade without deleting this data? Not the biggest of deals. I still have the old 500GB drive laying around and I'm sure I can acquire another and simply backup my data beforehand.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks fellas.

[edit] it appears I've posted in the wrong forum! Whoops! Please move to LS Pro/Live forum...