Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:59 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:46 am 

Hi there,

After reading so much about the "HGLAN-300 unflashable units" and having a serial number that very closely matches the first on the list of the "reportedly unflashable" units, I decided I didnt want to risk it, so after backing up my data, I opened up my HGLAN-300 unit and removed the hard drive, connecting it to my desktop Linux PC.

My first task was going to be backing up the system (boot) partition on the Linkstation to a file, for safe restoring in case anything went wrong.

Unfortunately, I quickly found that either:

1. I must have an ancient version of PartImage (I run Fedora 10 Linux on that system - yea, I know its old, long story)
and/or
2. The information on the Wiki seems inaccurate.

I am talking about the info here:
http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Upg ... Hard_Drive

Which reads:

"The standard LinkStation setup uses 3 partitions:

hda1 (main ~ 400MB)
hda2 (swap ~ 300MB)
hda3 (mount ~ remaining) "

That does not match what I got into my stock HGLAN300.
Here is a screenshot of what I see from PartImage (drive is "sdbX")

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg692/sc ... res=medium

First I see a 376.49MB "unknown" partiton. (what is this? xfs?)
Then I see a second 517.72 MB "swap" partition. (so much swap, really?)
Then a third partition 278.56 Gigabytes "ext3" partition (must be the "mount", obviously)
Then a 70.2 MB "unknown" partiton at the end of the drive (at this point I have no idea wtf this is about)

Any ideas? And WTF doesnt partimage recognize the partition types if those are xfs?

My main goal, after backing up partitons #1 and #2 to a file, is to upgrade to the latest greatest 2.6 Linux kernel possible, to have -if possible- NTFS-3g support for an external 1TB external drive formatted NTFS and plugged via the USB port.

All help is welcome. TIA
FC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:55 pm 
Site Admin

Buffalo changed the EXT2_SUPER_MAGIC from 0xEF53 to 0xEF54 in order to make the first partition inaccessible. Two possible solutions: Use a patched kernel or an standard partition/ext2 filesystem.

A swap partition size of 512 MB is appropriate, IMHO.

The unknown partition is just some spare space, probably used to deal with different HDD sizes. You can get rid of it.

Besides, you might want to try stonie's debian tar ball.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:05 am 

andre wrote:
Buffalo changed the EXT2_SUPER_MAGIC from 0xEF53 to 0xEF54 in order to make the first partition inaccessible. Two possible solutions: Use a patched kernel or an standard partition/ext2 filesystem.

OK, so for the purpose of just copying the partition for backup purposes with Partimage, I think it's irrelevant whether I change the EXT2_SUPER_MAGIC or not, right?

andre wrote:
A swap partition size of 512 MB is appropriate, IMHO.

OK, I just thought it was a bit too big for what the box does, which is just run a couple of text-mode daemons.

andre wrote:
The unknown partition is just some spare space, probably used to deal with different HDD sizes. You can get rid of it.

OK, I will follow your advice. I just feared there was some important stuff there or bootloader backup or something.

andre wrote:
Besides, you might want to try stonie's debian tar ball.

That's allright. Thanks for the pointer. However I read the thread and was dismayed to find it requires several manual steps. Why can't someone just provide a dd image of the boot partition with all the software already in place?.

Thanks for your reply.
FC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:06 am 

andre wrote:

Perhaps you can use the information I pasted above to update the Wiki?. Just copying and pasting my image along with your reply would suffice, I think.

Or can I do it myself? Do I get wiki access with the same forum login/pass?
FC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:50 pm 
Site Admin

There's a login button in the upper right corner of every wiki page. You might need a bugtracker account.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:01 am 
Total Newbie

My first task was going to be backing up the system (boot) partition on the Linkstation to a file, for safe restoring in case anything went wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:01 am 
Total Newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 11:29 am 
Total Newbie

Ich also usually do so...For sake...I think it is a good idea :biglol:

sony xperia m2 aqua handyhülle