Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:24 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:22 am 

Hello

I have a HD-HG300Lan which was working fine until i decided I wanted to add Twonky Media to it. It stated I had to install freelink or openlink so I tried updating firmware via installer for freelink and the NAS went into EM mode. I tried to re install stock firmware but kept failing. I then tried Openlink and it Worked. The current firmware is 1.45 on my NAS. So here is the deal, I can't seem to access the NAS. Web interface does not connect. The NAS has debian but I do not understand Linux at all. I tried to map the network and it failed stating the share folder is missing. The NAS is accessable through PuTTYtel but i have no idea how to create access through windows. I tried using the NasNavigator2 application and it see's the device but can't map it or open web settings. The data on this device is crucial, it has all my sons pictures since he was born 20 months ago as well as all my vacation pictures :cry: . Need help desperatly, wifey will kill me if I loose these pictures :o . Appreciate any help I can get and I apologize in advance for not stating the technical terms.

thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:01 am 
Site Admin

It's either Debian or OpenLink --

Let's start with the photos. You should be able to download them with WinSCP. I can't recall the OpenLink details, but the /mnt/ directory is always worth a look. Back up your stuff to your PC or other media.

I suspect your shares, by which I mean the representation of the actual data as served by the LS, need to be recreated. So you would have to recreate your original users. Maybe don't see your data afterwards because your permissions need to be adjusted. We would need more information at this point (still in the future).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:25 pm 

your data should still be there so it might be worth stripping the box down and sticking the drive in a pc or external box and pulling your treasured data off. you can also re-add the firmware or go back to the original so you can try again.

it should be said though that the adage is that if you havent got three copies of something then its not important enough. I consolidated all my digital pics onto a single brand new drive so I could sort them out and it promptly failed.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:40 pm 

andre wrote:
It's either Debian or OpenLink --

Let's start with the photos. You should be able to download them with WinSCP. I can't recall the OpenLink details, but the /mnt/ directory is always worth a look. Back up your stuff to your PC or other media.

I suspect your shares, by which I mean the representation of the actual data as served by the LS, need to be recreated. So you would have to recreate your original users. Maybe don't see your data afterwards because your permissions need to be adjusted. We would need more information at this point (still in the future).

Can't seem toconnect using winscp. I put in the ip address of the LS in the host name and changed the port to 23. Is there another program or another way to connect. What is the user name? Will it still be root like in the web setting?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:15 pm 
Site Admin

The password should either be 'openlink' or nothing (empty string).

Telnet into your box and try to start the SSHD,

/etc/init.d/dropbear start

respectively

/etc/init.d/sshd start

If neither command exists or works, let me see what you've got:

ls -l /etc/init.d/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:38 am 

I had tried to go back to stock firmware and basically it put me in EM Mode. I tried flashing to stock, openlink and freelink and the during final step of install it states "attempt to renew firmware has failed..." :evil: Firewall was off during the attempts. Can someone walk me through the steps to get out of em mode? Is there something I have to do before trying to install firmware? missing any steps?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:18 am 
Site Admin

So you've got a shell prompt -- way to go!. Let's try to mount the hard disk, then copy the data to a drive or share it somehow over the network. Once that's done, you can reflash the firmware to restore the system. You've got to be patient now...

First hand, I need the output of "uname -a", of "df -h", of "ps aux" (failing that, of "ps w", failing that, of "ps"), of "ls -l /etc/init.d/". Have some USB media ready.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:40 pm 

Hi andre

First, I appreciate all the time and patience you have for a "noob" like me.

And I have to apologize but i have no clue what you mean for the quote below.
Quote:
First hand, I need the output of "uname -a", of "df -h", of "ps aux" (failing that, of "ps w", failing that, of "ps"), of "ls -l /etc/init.d/".
:?

Gonna need more detailed steps if possible.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:26 pm 

have you got a regular pc with sata drives in?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:41 am 

Sorry no,only 2 laptops. I did purchase a usb to ide attachment but its hasn't come in yet. I figure i would just open up the LS and attach the harddrive directly to my laptop and extract the data. The problm is the drive becomes useless. Any way to fix it from em mode without having a regular pc with sata drives?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:19 am 

usb to ide not much use if its a sata drive though. I'm crap with linux but okayish with hardware. ideally you need a sata enclosure or someone who can give you access to a pc - running a live linux cd like ubuntu will allow you to mount and draw off the files as well as reinstall the firmware into the boot partition.

you could ebay for an enclosure or go and pick up a usb drive as a second backup medium which you could also slave off the linkstation - a backup disc would make your tinkering a safer practice though.

as your partitions are allready set then copying the three files needed for firmware installation onto the drive should be all it needs.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:04 am 

I bought a sata dock and returned it because the drive was a IDE drive.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:40 pm 

must be an old linkstation then, have you got enough space to backup the data to? also is it just a usb data cable? in which case you will still need power to the drive, I assume you can get away with taking the existing power out of the box. I've got one which is powerfull enough to feed a laptop drive but not a desktop one.

most linux distros work as live cd's but not all will work with laptop hardware, ubuntu is probably the easiest as they are trying to get it as windows like as poss so guys like us can work it. they even came up with an auto dual boot tool for working under windows called wubi which simplifies stuff and doesnt need a download or cd burn as you tell it the folder size and passwords the let it chug away, to delete it you just delete the folder.

there is a knoppix distro with windows xp sp2 inside it which I have found usefull in the past.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:23 pm 
Site Admin

guju69 wrote:
Quote:
First hand, I need the output of "uname -a", of "df -h", of "ps aux" (failing that, of "ps w", failing that, of "ps"), of "ls -l /etc/init.d/".
:?

Gonna need more detailed steps if possible.

Telnet or ssh into your box and copy and paste:

uname -a
df -h
ps aux
ls -l /etc/init.d/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:52 am 

Is telnet available on EM Mode? I was using PuTTYtel an it did nothing....