Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:36 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:20 am 
Site Admin

If you can't telnet to your LS even though you are connected directly, from the static IP address 192.168.11.149, you should try to access the HDD directly. Connect it to PC, booted into e.g. some Linux Live CD.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:52 pm 

I received my usb to IDE connector and have extracted my data... :up: , since i have access to the harddrive how can i fix the linkstation. Can i copy and paste the firmware files? This whole mess started when i tried to openlink the LS to add Twonky. Since i have the connector any other way toadd files. thanks in advance

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:55 am 

what I have noticed is the boot partition contains the boot and config files but nothing else the problem lies in the next partition the 500mb one, if you recopy the firmware files from the buffalo updater back into the boot partition as per the link I used for instruction then it will overwrite and extract them into the second partition when you turn it back on, bimble about a bit reboot then come back up.

the only problem I found was changing the web interface setting to english from japanese which once you know where to look becomes nice and easy. once done you can then reallocate the shares folder, unit name etc..

while its stripped down though you can also have another look at the twonky stuff or similar - nothing I've read fills me with hope on the cut and paste doability of it.

now mines working I've got another broken one coming off ebay for the laff as the drive is worth what I paid for the unit and I might have a mess around and see if I can get something working. for media though I have a mediagate mg35ndas which is lousy as a nas thanks to windows 7 but a really good media player which sees the other nas and can play the files. I can also run it as a barebones media player with no drive which is handy :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:12 am 

Ok so I have extracted all my data and now need to fix Linkstation. LS is currently in EM Mode, tried to update back to stock firmware 1.61 but it went all the way to the end and said it has failed. I waited about 3 hours and powered the unit off then on and checked again and its still in EM Mode. ANy suggestions?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:38 am 

copy the firmware update files into the boot partition (the 200 meg one) after you have deleted whats in there and let it reinstall the firmware. that should give you a back to basics linkstation to get going again. you might find you have to format the partition to get access to it though.

then you need to reapply the shared folder if you left your data on there.

I am guessing that you should be able to install twonky that way as well avoiding telnet etc... but dont know enough about it.