Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:13 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: HS-DHGL drive failure
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:46 pm 

hya - total noob to this as programming was never my thing. read most of the wikis and forum posts and have spend a week trying to sort it out. anyway 1gb drive failed so I am using a new 2gb as I use the drive for storing media on.

ls live v2 so it wont setup the new drive automatically so I have tried the various methods but had most success with manual drive setup as per http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Man ... LS_Live_v1 doing it this way I can get it to boot and I can get to it via the web.

however - in ubuntu when I try to partition the drive it wont let me pre format the share partition in xfs which I assumed would be the simplest way of dealing with it, have tried reformatting in different ways but no joy. as a result I can access the LS but there are no shares and when I try to format the drive it fails. I tried a maintenance re-initialise twice leaving it for a good day each time but again no shares or format. no matter what I do it doesnt seem to want to format to xfs.

is there a really stupid guide I can follow which I might have misses or is anyone near gloucester I can bribe with alcohol? distance isnt a problem as I do buzz about a bit.

I have been trying the 2.11 firmware, the lsupdater fails and the tftp doesnt want to know which might be due to windows 7. hence my doing the direct hard disk editing under ubuntu which I am more happy with than command line linux editing.

any tips?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:05 pm 

just tried again with just the boot files which allows me to run the firmware update but it gives me acp state failure.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:45 pm 

have you 4096 Byte per sector or 512

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:02 am 

well managed to get the firmware updater to run and its beeping like crazy doing that update for the third time now, its ending with couldnt confirm a response disable firewall which is all ready off updating aborted.

not sure on cluster size as I told it to reformat, ignore everything and go for broke so its whatever the stock format is. it now shows up in em mode which is back to square one I suppose as I obviously cant access it via web.

I can usually work my way/bs through most things but this is proving rather tricky having to work with two os's and the 'idiot' guides being filled with linux command lines which I never got the hang of as i stopped programming after sinclair basic.

now if it formats the drive so it will see the share space then I would expect to be able to manually copy the flash data over but someone decided it could be so simple

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:53 am 

under the instructions for fdisk under linux to tell it to boot outside of em mode the instruction says add $ date > rootfs_ok - is there an easy way to do this in ubuntu. or can I use a knoppix live cd

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:59 pm 

okay I havent really got a clue what I did but it worked so if anyone else is having an issue and isnt au fait with linux type stuff.

using the firmware updater in force mode, repartitioned and formatted the drive but wouldnt install the firmware. the drive would boot into EM though.

cracking the drive and opening in ubuntu I had to format the boot partition in order to take ownership and copy files to it, I copied the uImage.buffalo, initrd.buffalo and hdrtfs.buffalo files across to it then reassembled and rebooted the linkstation. it popped up on the network after doing its thing and restarting a couple of times. the drive is now out and back in a pc for file transfer so I can put back all the files I salvaged off the failed drive.

now I can stream my files again I'll have a good read on the custom firmwares and give it a go on a spare 640gb drive as I wouldnt like to have to go through that all again.

I have noticed the appalling speed of copying between any connected usb drives and the linkstation, can anyone tell me if it will still stream over the network/internet at a decent speed if I hook a 2tb usb drive to it?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:30 pm 

crap - I'd been copying files to the drive using usb enclosures and a linux live cd, then when I reassembled it it started in em mode. when I got it up again I used a laptop which was running installed linux and its locked all the file permissions so I cant access any files and am supposed to contact myself to find out why.

any ideas how to unlock them all again without copying it all to a windows drive them back again?

trying to change permission through ubuntu and windows 7 all non cooperative, tried setting permissions in users and it locks me out of network access even though I set the password.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:22 am 

Sounds like your Live CD messed with owner and group.
You need to set the matching owner and group using
Telnet or SSH for all the files on the disk directly. That
means you have either to connect via Telnet/SSH to the
box or connect the disk to the laptop directly again.
Put one file via network connection to the drive before
and use it to lookup the correct owner/group.
To change owner and group, use "chown -R" to recurse
into your directories.
DO NOT use this for directories others than these you put
on the disk via your Live CD session!

If there is no verified backup of a dataset, the dataset, by definition, is unimportant. (c't 2012)

RAID (no matter which level) never ever substitutes a backup. (me)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:40 pm 

well I thought I'd cracked it by allowing shares in the files back in the live cd so I can at least read the files which are mainly media anyway. accessing via windows is still locking me out of altering bits.

copying speeds on these are extremely strange - usb direct to linkstation is less than 1meg, laptop to linkstation via switch is just over 1meg but laptop to linkstation via router is 8meg down 4meg up so better at least. ftp speeds arent great either.