Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:12 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:05 am 
Total Newbie

Hi, I need some help with my Terastation.

A few days ago I noticed the Terastation has a single red light on. A few days later four red lights came on.

When I went to the TS admin webpage it poped up a message saying that two disks were bad. But three of the disks on the admin wepage looked ok.

I found this support forum and installed firmare 2.16b (it was 1.15 or so). Now when I check the admin page it says that Disk 2,3,4 are fine and that Disk 1 is not connected.

I did a Disk Check and it says: The Disk Check has failed. The File System or Disk Format is not recognizable.

When I telnet to the TS I get the following:

----

BUFFALO INC. TeraStation series HD-HTGL (YOSHIMUNE)

GINZA login: admin
Password:
admin@GINZA:~$ df
Filesystem 1k-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/shm 15360 104 15256 1% /mnt/ram
admin@GINZA:~$ ls -1 /mnt/array1
spool
admin@GINZA:~$ xfs_repair -L /dev/md1
sh: xfs_repair: command not found

----

I don't know much about linux. I'm just wondering if I've got this completely wrong. I need all the data to be recovered. The disk has important tax and business records for my wife's business. Any ideas?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:06 pm 

Note that if all four disk lights come on red this may not indicate an error. It could just be that you are getting low on free disk space (they come on when there is less than 10% free). In such a situation the web interface will show a "RAID Array 1 has low disk space" message.

Ideally you should only do a firmware upgrade on a system that does not already have problems. While as a general rule firmware upgrades are relatively safe as far as your data is concerned, doing a firmware upgrade on a system that already has problems can result in data loss. This is particularily the case if you might have a damaged disk as the system might think it is an empty disk and try and re-partition/reformat it.

At this point I would avoid doing anything further at the Linux level and go through the UFS Explorer route to try and recover your data as described in this wiki article. While working at the Linux level is fine if you understand Linux, if you do not you are just as likely to do more damage to your data partition if it is still intact. It sounds a bit ominous as /mnt/array1 is showing only the spool folder, so the data may already be lost.

When you have recovered whatever data you can, the best way to get the TeraStation back to a working state is to remove all existing partitions on the disks (effectively returning the system to a virgin state) and then reflash. If a disk IS damaged it could be replaced at this time, and you can check for that by seeing if it is OK under Windows. You would probably need to reflash twice - the first to recreate and format the partitions needed, and the second to re-populate the system partition.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:12 pm 
Total Newbie

Thank you for your help

I have connected the three working drives to another PC and used UFS Explorer to try to rebuild. I have followed the instructions but each time I get the message "Error reading file system". I have tried all variations on the order of the drives (0,1,2 then 1, 0, 2 and so on..).

Any more ideas?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:14 am 
Total Newbie

At the risk of hijacking this thread, I am having similar problem.

Background:
Terastation, used v2.16 firmware to "upgrade" (read break) result, a TS in EM mode. in a moment of panic I downloaded a firmware from one of the buffalo sites that ended up being a Japanese firmware version result 4 red lights and dead TS.

I connected the disks to another machines, wiped the OS, the machine is now back in EM mode, it won't accept any older firmware <2.0 it's happy to accept 2.16 firmware and 2.0 (English) and the transfer process works fine, but on reboot the TS ends up with 4 red lights.

Now, what would be the best course of action to find out what's going on ? should I try to convert the serial port to console? I am fairly good with linux and would love to get my files back if I can.

Any ideas/suggestions?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:25 am 

When you try and upgrade the firmware there is a file called 'linkstation_version.txt' included with the update firmware. The version in this file must be higher than the version already installed. If you try and edit this file (it is basically a text file) you must use an editor that can handle Unix style end-of-lines. This file is only used during the version check - after installation the version is taken from the firmware actually installed.

Is the web interface working? If so check that the 4 red lights are not simply because the disk is too full.

Do you need to recover the data or can you afford to wipe it? If the latter use a PC to remove all existing partitions on the disks to return them to a virgin state, and then reflash it (probably twice).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:53 am 
Total Newbie

Thanks for the pointer regarding the version file.

Good point about the disks being full. I will double check that at the weekend!

Hopefully it's working, I just don't know about it :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:23 am 
Total Newbie

All I want to say is
THANK YOU
THANK YOU
THANK YOU
THANK YOU

I managed to get the terastation back and running thanks to the guides on the forum and the help from the great itimpi. The red lights were infact the low disk warning lights which saved me alot of hassle.

Thank you!

:up: :up: :up: