Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:11 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:47 am 
Total Newbie

I've been able to absorb enough to see that folks are installing various linux-based O/Ss on the TeraStation (original), and I've found mention of Foonas, but I can't seem to bring the info together in my mind.

Is there a direct replacement (something like dd-wrt for linksys routers) for the original firmware that adds functionality (beyond Telnet, which I have from the 2.16b1 replacement)? Something that will provide Samba3 or more? If not, is Foonas the closest thing?

If there isn't a "one-stop-shop" solution, can someone direct me to a low-level howto on installing samba3 (and prerequisites)? I'm reasonably comfortable in Fedora and Debian, but not enough to install/update a kernel w/o something like yum or apt-get and it seems that is the first think I need to do.

Once I have either of those solutions, is there a method/approach I'll need to persist changes to things like /etc/samba/smb.conf? I ask because another link implied that the changes would reset with a reboot and some scripting environment would help overcome this, but the link didn't direct me to any such solution.

Sorry I have no links, but I've been reading for a few hours now and I'm getting completely lost (hence this apparently lame post).

Thanks in advance