Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:08 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:22 am 
Site Admin

hm. just an idea.

what about
1) numbering all hdds + slots
2) connect to a normal desktop (to connect all at once an ide controller might be needed)
3) OPTIONAL create an image of each disk with your favorite image application (windows: acronis trueimage, norton ghost, linux: dd)
4) use UFS explorer to check if the data is there
http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.ph ... S_Explorer
5) if yes invest 50 $ to buy a licence for UFS explorer and recover the files
6) delete first partitions on all hdds
7) put hdds back into terastation in correct order (therefor the numbers!)
8) box will boot into initrd mode aka EM Mode only because it cannot boot into hddrootfs. (most likely it only works the second time because first time it will write a sequence to flash (NGNGNG) that it cannot mount/boot to it....so it will work the second time
9) use the firmware updater to discover the terastation...and then finally flash it the first time. it should work the first time to boot into normal mode again.

Additional theoretical info: if you kill all partitions and put unpartitioned hdds inside the box it will also boot to EM Mode...but you would have to flash it twice because first time only the partitiones would be created...then directly flash a second time to install the rootfs to the first partition and to boot to normal mode.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:36 am 

If you are able to do step 3) (create the partition images) you could omit step 5) which is buying UFS explorer until you know whether the recovery process has worked. Step 3) protects against data loss as you can restore the partitions to their current state if needed. The big issue would probably be to find the data space to hold the images.

Also you then do not need all 4 disks connected to the PC at the same time until you try to use UFS explorer (although that would mean you also could not do step 4 at this point).

I must admit that imaging the partitions first is a good idea if space permits as it would also protect you against UFS explorer messing things up (although it should not).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:02 pm 
Site Admin

actually the steps i have written down apply to all ppc based terastations....what do you think itimpi...shouldn`t we add this as a general concept for ppc on the data recovery page? the page seems to be a little messed up....a clear step by step guide like above might be good.

also the additional info about flashing it twice would be good to know for everyone for
1) recover the tera from scratch with blank hdds and therefore also for
2) replacing hdds

a package will go out from me to Linuxnotincluded today. he will soon have a TeraHS in his hands which i was not able to recover it from scratch. if he can get write access via jtag we soon might have LNI uboot with netconsole on the Tera + TeraHS.

davy_gravy also managed to compile a uboot binary which should have netconsole support for the Linkstation Pro v2 hardware.....if it works chances are good that it could work on the arm9 terastations as well.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:49 pm 

I guess it would do no harm to add some additional steps to the data recovery page.

I will look at it with a view to doing an update to add additional information/steps.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:31 pm 

Excellent idea on the disk images for additional backup, I don't know why I didn't think about doing that first. I'm going to make images and attempt to see if the modded firmware or the European updater with the stock 1.12 firmware from the Buffalo US archive will work. If I get no joy from the FW machinations I'll probably go the UFS Explorer route to get recover the data and then assuming that is successful, wipe partition 1 and try to get the TS back up and running.
If I have to go the UFS route and I get my data (I'll post either success or fail) does anyone have anything expiremental they would like to try in a scenario like this? The owner of the TS wants nothing more to do with anything Buffalo ever again, so once we get his data off he's happy to kiss it goodbye.