Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:12 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: TS and firmware update
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:12 am 

I have an orig. TS that I got of ebay with no disks. I can get it to show up on the network and can get both the client utility and the updater from every version of firmware I have tried to see it as well. When I try to update or renew the firmware I get the same message every time. It sends the firmware, finds problems and wants to format and when I click yes it always returns with

Failed format. : 0x100
Script : create_raid

Firmware update is canceled.

I've tried 1.08, 1.12, 2.10, 2.16, 2.17 all with the same result. is the firmware partition possibly corrupted beyond recovery?

I even tried mounting one drive in linux, creating 2 partition and copying the tmpimage.tgz to the drive just to see if it would help with the same results. any suggestions/help you could provide is appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:57 am 

I suspect there is no problem with the TeraStation as it is getting to the stage of asking you if it can format the hard disks.

The normal process is that you put 4 unpartitioned disks into the TeraStation.

You then try to flash and it fails, but creates and formats the partition structure needed on the disks.
You then flash again and this time it manages to write the firmware to the system partition on the hard disk.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:09 pm 

yeah I read that in several other posts and tried immediately re-flashing again with the same messages. i've been trying this with a single drive just for simplicity, should I be using multiple drives in order for it to work properly? Thanks for the help.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:16 pm 

I suspect that you will get a fail unless there are 4 drives present so that the RAID arrays can be set up correctly. I could be wrong though - has anyone else any different experience?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:47 am 

4 drives yields no IP and after a short period it will power down I tried holding init button down to bypass watchdog and it will keep it from powering down but it still never gets an IP.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:35 am 

You did check that these drives had no existing partitions on them?

If you did, I cannot see why having 4 blank drives should behave any different to having no drives or a single blank drive. The only thing I can think of is that the Power Supply is having problems. This can always be checked by using a standard PC power supply to power the TeraStation and drives.

Do you have any idea why this TeraStation was offered on eBay with no drives in the first place?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:22 am 

ok well I mounted all 4 drives in linux....fdisk and deleted all partitions and wrote them back out...put back into TS and booted....still no IP. I've noticed that if I connect more than 2 drives it never gets an IP. I can still disconnect all drives and get an IP but I still get the errors trying to upgrade the firmware. no I don't remember why the person was selling on ebay. I have left all 4 drives connected to the power but disconnected from the MB and I still get an IP and the client utility and update software can see it, I just cannot do the firmware update. i'm still trying though, by now I'm just determined to make this thing work. thanks for the input and guidance.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:50 pm 

ok I grabbed some different drives I had lying around though they aren't all the same size and cleared partition tables. got it to boot, get an ip and fired up the updater. I got past my create_raid message but format just runs then it says it never gets a response back and asks if I want to keep waiting. I think the drives being different sizes is messing with the system so i'm going to try to find some matching drives and see if the format will finish then. one point though, even though the updater never gets a response back from the TS I can still ping it. when I answer no to waiting and it exits it won't find the TS again until I boot it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:33 am 
Total Newbie

I know this is an old thread, did you ever get this working. I am havig the same problem. I only have two hard drives though...
This is a generic list of stuff that is going wrong.

1.) I only have two hard drives in it
2.) They are both aftermarket harddrives less than 250 gb in size
3.) the client utility can find the TerraStation and I am able to change the IP address using the Buffalo TS-TGL utility.
4.) When I click on the firmware update button I click;
a.) OK on the firmware update message
b.) Click Ok on the Boot update skipped message
c.) The progress bar fills up, it says to wait while the device reboots, it Beeps once
d.) I hear the Terrastation then beep 5 times twice
e.) I get an error message that says The script occurs error. :0x100 Script : md0_format, I click OK
f.) I get a message saying Firmware partition has some errors... I click Yes.
g.) I then get a Failed Format. : 0x100 Script : create_raid Firmware update is canceled.