Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:36 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: 4 x 2TB HDD's on TS-HS
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:58 pm 

Hi,

Well I have finally done a full HDD upgrade to my system using 4 x 2TB sata drives and the IDE/Sata changers...

All good so far.. drives all in and working...

Have reflashed the system and it has started the initialisation.. the Guide suggests to leave the system running until the I/O lights stop flashing (Several Hours)...

Well the system has been running of 5 days now...

Has anyone else tried this and waited for so long.. apprechiate they are large drive and it would take a while...

Umming about leaving it for longer.. or doing a shut down and refleash again from scratch to see if its logged the drives already...

any ideas?
:D
dwjp

Last edited by dwjp on Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:12 pm 

Hi...

Well the re-initialising is still going 7 days on... although the pattern and speed of the I/O lights has changed... so assume its getting closer to the end as they are getting faster...

going to sit tight for a little bit longer and see if it finishes... :D

dwjp

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:55 am 

Hello again...

Thought I would update just in case anyone else is tempted to try this in future...

Terastation is still running DIAG and Activity lights still flashing after 3 weeks now... :)

Have decided if its not finished by early evening I will reboot and re-flash again... Hopefully this will skip the format portion of the install and get the OS loaded for using telnet to update partitions.

dwjp

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:56 pm 

Hello once again...

So I did try a restart and re-flash just in case... It has now been re-running for 4 days with the IDAg light and Activity lights flashing... They seem faster than the previous run so perhaps a bit of preformatting has helped...

Think it might just be a matter of sitting it out for the duration... so could be that the 3+ weeks to format is correct... which give the 8tb of disk to do is probably correct.

will update in a few weeks time hopefully with a fully operations system. :)

regards

dwjp

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:52 pm 

still going......

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:46 pm 

still going... :biglol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:16 pm 

That does not sound correct! It should not take more than about 30 minutes in my experience.

The TS-HS does not know how to correctly partition 2TB drives (the largest it knows how to do correctly are 500GB drives. I have always started with a system with smaller drives that boots OK and then replaced these with 2TB drives one at a time doing manual of each one as it is added.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:48 pm 

its finished....

:up:

Now a quick re-flash hopefully... (all done and working) then I can check tha partition size...

good to know the 2TB's seem to be works... having the 8TB is going to be great...

all 4 drives are set to 558GB format... Have deleted shares and the RAID1 array...

going to set up the partitions now.. guessing the default values are shown when using the "n" command function..

dwjp

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:09 pm 

all done...

4x2TB drives all logged and formatted and ready to go... time to FTP all the backup data over...

dwjp