Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:11 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:06 am 

Power outage the other night. Turned NAS off until it came back on. When started it came up with "System error E04 Can't load Krn1". Tried several restarts with and without the first drive in place. No love. Same error. I think i got lucky. Found identical box without drives on ebay for $50. It should be here in a couple days.

Will i be able to just move the drives over? Anything i should do beforehand?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:30 pm 

received this from buffalo tech support via email

"In order to resolve the E04 error you are receiving you will need to flash the firmware on your device. Below is the link that instructs on how to flash your firmware. It is possible to stick those drives into the new device you just purchased."

http://buffalo.lithium.com/t5/Storage/F ... rue#M48659

i am going to wait until we have this second box in our possession and have moved the drives over before i try flashing the firmware of the first one.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:41 am 

so i got an identical box off of ebay. not the first one we were trying to get from a guy on the west coast. what are the chances, the one we got is the previous one in serial order from the one we had. our original has a Production S/N of U70920 and the new one has a Production S/N of U70919! Kinda cool we thought.

So i dropped the drives into the new unit and it started right up. We got our data safely off.

I then put the drives back in the original box and got an error 06, No array info. Put them back in the second unit and got an identical error.

4 new 250gb drives arrived from newegg. 2 are WD and 2 are Seagate. Put them in the original box and with time and patience eventually got the firmware flashed using ver 1.35 that we downloaded from the buffalo web site. Did this using a Windows 7 x64 box and the TFTP server from Solar Winds. TURN THE FIREWALL OFF. The download has a file named intrid that the process needed. Turns out the process is looking for a file named intrid.buffalo Once i renamed the file to match the process proceeded. I did get an error popup twice which i should have written down but did not. I ok'd through them and the process continued.

Of note on the TFTP server you will know it is working once there are lines of it trying to connect to 192.168.11.150.

We tried to flash the old drives in the new box but it would not find it on the TFTP server. I took each drive out and formated them using a mac. Back into the box and we were able to flash it. We used ver 1.33 and it went off with but one glitch of note. When it was done there was a popup saying it was done in english and a couple lines of what appeared to be chinese writing. My initial thought was great i just flashed it into another language. The box is still giving messages in english so just a minor glitch as far as i can tell.

So i now have 2 boxes sitting here saying they are spanning. How long should this take?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:01 am 

being impatient i tried to login via a web browser to 192.168.11.150, score!, i get the units home page. so i guess my last question about the spanning is; it will continue to say that on the box until you login and probably configure the unit. which makes sense how would it know what type of raid array i want to use.

i say probably because the page is in chinese or japanese. on both boxes. if you recall i used ver 1.33 on one box and 1.5 on the other.

great if you can not trust the manufacturers web site for valid firmware. who can you trust???

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:26 am 

wait hold that thought. buffalo is very trust worthy. thank you buffalo tech support for being 24/7. apparently the units are produced in japan. so the default language in the firmware is JAPANESE.

if you have got this far. login using admin password. left side of the page click on the second button. the first one says TOP. scroll to the bottom and change japanese to english or german if that is what you need. below that click CP437, which changes the 'windows client language'. below that and to the left click the button. i had to click it twice before it kicked me back to the login page. or on the other one i had to logout, which is the last button on the left. which is now in ENGLISH.

:biglol: :biglol: :up: :biglol: :biglol:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:59 am 

updating the one machine from ver 1.33 to 1.35

tftp server is running but the log is clear. ran tsupdater. on the debug page i checked everything. clicked update button. after a minute i get a popup that says 'couldn't open initrd.img' hit ok. it reboots unit. progress bars still going. after a few minutes and status changing to formatting i get a popup that says 'couldn't open initrd.img' hit ok. status changes to transferring firmware. get a popup that says 'the ts-htgl is restarting now. after the ts-htgl is restarting, firmware updating is performed and shut it down. please turn the ts-htgl on manually when you confirm shut down. then click ok in this dialog'
well the updater rebooted the unit when it gave that message. the unit came back up red leds everywhere and an annoying alarm. the unit indicates it is in tftp mode and that it 'lost boot image'. hitting the power button once shuts the audible noise off. tried to shut it down with the power button but no response. unplugged unit and plugged it back in. turned it back on with the power button. alarm and leds again. unplugged and plugged in again. hit the ok button on the screen. status shows waiting for 'finish of ts-htgl booting'. hit power button. alarm and leds again. quick touch of power button to silence it. letting the progress bar finish. progress bar finished and then i get a popup that says 'waited for 300[s] seconds but couldn't confirm a response from ts-htgl. do you want to wait again?' unplugged and plugged in the unit. hit yes on popup and then the power button on unit. alarms and leds. unplugged and plugged unit in. after waiting on progress bar same last message. hit no. popup 'there was no response fronts-html. updating is aborted.' hit ok. popup 'couldn't confirm a response from ts-html-em95e. please check a network address of both pc and ts-htgl-em95e Please disable the firewall function if it si working on pc. updating is aborted.' hit ok. searches for ts, ts that needs updating not found. hit ok. power on unit. alarms and leds. reboot the computer. plugged and unplugged the unit 3 more times. alarm and leds. then something about a FW update. then the last time it started fine. go figure.