Soldering seemed like too much work. besides I could not locally source pin headers and shunts to do the job right.
Clear down the system partition:http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Ter ... artition_2
I pulled the drives and used a IDE to USB adapter to connect each drive to a laptop running knoppix.
used dd to create a backup image of the first partition.
One sticking point I ran into was not being able to mount the first partition on any drive.
For each drive (one at a time)
The mount command would return some sort of error of not being able to locate the super block. I rolled the dice (had a backup of data) and did xfs_repair -L /dev/(hardrive). After xfs_repair did its thing I was able to mount the first partition and smoke all the files using rm -fr *. Put the drives back into the terastation (boy what fun it is to tear the original terastation down) and sure enough the emergency firmware was loaded with the network active. Re-flashed with the opentera firmware 218 with telnet and root access. After that I installed the zip and unzip packages to the terastation. Downloaded the OpenTera Update 5, Samba, and netatalk packages. Unzipped those on my laptop and then copied the directories to a new share on the terasation. Connected to the terastation using telenet. Skipped first password prompt then logged in with 'myroot'. Ran the OpenTera update script again. This time is took just fine. (last time I was unable to run ls -l after the install) ls -l works just fine afterwards. Rebooted, then finished installing samba and then netatalk.
Works great with lion. With snow leopard directory browsing was painfully slow. Now its pdq.