Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:34 am

All times are UTC+01:00




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:10 pm 
Offline
Total Newbie

Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:44 pm
Posts: 2
So I wanted to install OpenTera and Samba 3 to get the NAS to work with OSX Lion.

I updated the terastation firmware to 2.18 from opentera. http://homepage.ntlworld.com/itimpi/telnet.htm The update was successful. I was able to connect and access my files just fine. Had telnet and root access with no issue.

I then installed OpenTera_v5.zip from http://homepage.ntlworld.com/itimpi/opentera.htm

The install script when flawless. I used Y at the beginning of the script (versus A). Every step of the script appeared successful and there we no errors displayed of any kind.

When I rebooted the terastation (to check that it could boot) the diag led continuously flashes 6 times.

My though was to enable the serial port for console access and go from there but before I start soldering I was wondering if there would be a better approach.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:45 am 
Offline
Total Newbie

Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:44 pm
Posts: 2
Soldering seemed like too much work. besides I could not locally source pin headers and shunts to do the job right.

The fix:

Clear down the system partition:
http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Ter ... artition_2

I pulled the drives and used a IDE to USB adapter to connect each drive to a laptop running knoppix.
used dd to create a backup image of the first partition.
One sticking point I ran into was not being able to mount the first partition on any drive.
For each drive (one at a time)
The mount command would return some sort of error of not being able to locate the super block. I rolled the dice (had a backup of data) and did xfs_repair -L /dev/(hardrive). After xfs_repair did its thing I was able to mount the first partition and smoke all the files using rm -fr *. Put the drives back into the terastation (boy what fun it is to tear the original terastation down) and sure enough the emergency firmware was loaded with the network active. Re-flashed with the opentera firmware 218 with telnet and root access. After that I installed the zip and unzip packages to the terastation. Downloaded the OpenTera Update 5, Samba, and netatalk packages. Unzipped those on my laptop and then copied the directories to a new share on the terasation. Connected to the terastation using telenet. Skipped first password prompt then logged in with 'myroot'. Ran the OpenTera update script again. This time is took just fine. (last time I was unable to run ls -l after the install) ls -l works just fine afterwards. Rebooted, then finished installing samba and then netatalk.

Works great with lion. With snow leopard directory browsing was painfully slow. Now its pdq.


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 

All times are UTC+01:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited