Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:11 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:46 pm 
Total Newbie

I thinking about upgrading a BUFFALO TeraStation HD-H1.0TGL/R5 NAS 4 x HDD that has IDE drives installed. I want to increase this to 4x either 2 or 3 TB sata drives but first i need to know if this type of Terastation can be upgraded from IDE to SATA and how??? and where can get the boards from.

Any help would be much appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:27 pm 

You might find the following wiki articles to be of interest:
http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Ter ... rger_disks
and
http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Ter ... _and_RAID5

From those you will see that it is possible to make use of 2TB SATA drives with the appropriate adapters. No work was ever done to see if the 3TB ones could be used as they were not available at the time, but I would think it is likely they would not work.

I got the adapter cards for which pictures are shown in the articles via eBay. However although all the initial cards I got worked fine, some of the later ones I got do not seem to work with the TeraStation so I am not sure how one goes about making sure one gets cards that work.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:02 pm 
Total Newbie

itimpi wrote:
You might find the following wiki articles to be of interest:
http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Ter ... rger_disks
and
http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Ter ... _and_RAID5

From those you will see that it is possible to make use of 2TB SATA drives with the appropriate adapters. No work was ever done to see if the 3TB ones could be used as they were not available at the time, but I would think it is likely they would not work.

I got the adapter cards for which pictures are shown in the articles via eBay. However although all the initial cards I got worked fine, some of the later ones I got do not seem to work with the TeraStation so I am not sure how one goes about making sure one gets cards that work.

Thanks for the feedback I think I might give this a miss as it sounds like I could be chasing unreliable adapters, can you recommend another Buffalo 4 bay SATA unit.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:23 am 

plaver wrote:
Thanks for the feedback I think I might give this a miss as it sounds like I could be chasing unreliable adapters, can you recommend another Buffalo 4 bay SATA unit.

Dair enough. I do not have any of the more recent Buffalo devices (all of which are SATA based), so cannot make any sort of recommendation based on experience.

If I was looking for a NAS now I would probably go with an UnRaid based device so that I had the flexibility of adding more drives (potentially of different sizes) as my requirements grew, or swapping out individual drives for larger one without the need to change all at once while still having all the advantages of RAID. Whether a device like that would make sense for you depends on what functionality you want (if any) over and above basic network file storage.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:35 am 
Total Newbie

I have a Netgear Ready NAS NV+ which has four SATA bays and can handle different sized drives (I believe, although I haven't tried that myself - I have 4x2Tb Samsung drives in it). Plus, it was way easier to hack than the Terastation ;-)