Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:09 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:50 am 

I did a bonehead thing, I have a US version TS Live that I mistakenly plugged into a 220v power outlet. Needless to say the power supply is fried. I've been trying to search on how to replace the original TS power supply with a generic ATX power supply. I figure this should be easy enough to do if I solder the right 5v and 12v wires from the ATX power supply to the TS Live cable.

Does anyone know the pin outs for the TS Live cable?

Any and all suggestions appreicated.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:06 am 

An easier solution might be to find out the type ID of the power supply normally used in Europe on TS Live systems as that will be a universal power supply (110-240V). You could then use eBay or soemthing similar to find a source of the relevant power supply. That way it will fit in the space provided.

That is what I have done on my PPC based TS systems when I have damaged the Power Supply. I do not have a TS Live or I would look up the Power Supply Id for you.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:54 am 

itimpi wrote:
An easier solution might be to find out the type ID of the power supply normally used in Europe on TS Live systems as that will be a universal power supply (110-240V). You could then use eBay or soemthing similar to find a source of the relevant power supply. That way it will fit in the space provided.

That is what I have done on my PPC based TS systems when I have damaged the Power Supply. I do not have a TS Live or I would look up the Power Supply Id for you.

Yes I thought about using EBay and did a search but only saw new or used working units that were more than I wanted to pay simply to strip out a power supply. I'm not sure what you mean by the type ID of the power supply but there is a sticker on the power supply board marked "84310056 GS TAM 0620". I saw in another posting that the TAM stands for Tampura or Tampera or something like that which is the original manufacturer. When I checked their website I couldn't find anything with this reference and anyways it appeared that they only supplied wholesale.

I don't mind if the ATX power supply will not fit into the TS original box as I can simply have it on the outside. An ATX power supply should work but I need to know the pin outs otherwise I risk frying the mainboard.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:34 pm 

wdeertz wrote:
itimpi wrote:

Yes I thought about using EBay and did a search but only saw new or used working units that were more than I wanted to pay simply to strip out a power supply. I'm not sure what you mean by the type ID of the power supply but there is a sticker on the power supply board marked "84310056 GS TAM 0620". I saw in another posting that the TAM stands for Tampura or Tampera or something like that which is the original manufacturer. When I checked their website I couldn't find anything with this reference and anyways it appeared that they only supplied wholesale.

I don't mind if the ATX power supply will not fit into the TS original box as I can simply have it on the outside. An ATX power supply should work but I need to know the pin outs otherwise I risk frying the mainboard.

Problem solved, a generic ATX worked perfectly. Just connect the yellow, red and back wires from the ATX power supply to the TS Live cable and it fired up with no problems. Now if I can remove the power supply inards so it fits in the original TS case I'll be back to 100% original but now with a auto switching 110-220v power supply. In case anyone else has this problem the generic ATX power supply is the way to go.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:38 pm 

wdeertz wrote:

Problem solved, a generic ATX worked perfectly. Just connect the yellow, red and back wires from the ATX power supply to the TS Live cable and it fired up with no problems. Now if I can remove the power supply inards so it fits in the original TS case I'll be back to 100% original but now with a auto switching 110-220v power supply. In case anyone else has this problem the generic ATX power supply is the way to go.

Well done.
I havent got my unit opened up but I dont suppose you could take a picture and post of the connections.
or....
Yellow ATX ===> TeraStation ?? colour wire
Red ATX ===> TeraStation ?? colour wire
Black ATX ===> TeraStation ?? colour wire

Thanks
JK

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:33 am 

jknights wrote:
wdeertz wrote:

Well done.
I havent got my unit opened up but I dont suppose you could take a picture and post of the connections.
or....
Yellow ATX ===> TeraStation ?? colour wire
Red ATX ===> TeraStation ?? colour wire
Black ATX ===> TeraStation ?? colour wire

Thanks
JK

Yellow ATX to Yellow on Terastation
Red AXT to Red on Terastation
Black AXT to Black on Terastation

Since my last posting I need to make a correction. Originally I took the inards of a power supply out of the box with fan and was able to retrofit it to fit inside the Terastation box. Everything worked fine but after a while the Terastation would shut down. At first I thought it was because of excessive heat since I removed the original power supply fan to get it to fit into the original Terastation box but when I took the cover off and blew an external fan at the power supply it still went off after several hours of use so this ruled out the excessive heat issue. Then I figured it was a short circuit that only occurred after a period of time but further testing seemed to rule this out. The only thing I can guess is that the power supply was automatically shutting down since it sensed the fan was not spinning (since I had removed it). As such I got another power supply but kept it in its original box and it has been working for the past several days with no problems. It doesn't look as good with the ATX power supply outside the original TS box but at least its working. After a few weeks of continued operation maybe I'll get brave again and try to remove the inards to put inside the TS box.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:00 pm 

Thansk for posting the poswer cable pinouts.

Hope the PSU and fan carries on working ;-)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:57 am 

I know it has been a while, but I just had my internal power supply broken on my Buffalo Linkstation.
Since they do not sell parts, I checked ebay for alternatives. I was able to purchase "LCD Dual Voltage Power Supply Module Universal Adaptor AC 110V/220v to DC 12V/5V" on eBay for $9 with free shipping. It worked and it fits inside the unit.
Unit has been working non-stop for 2 days now; no problems so far.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:46 pm 
Total Newbie

hello,

I need power supply for my Terastation pro 1 - is that what you described will be OK ? How can I find it?

regrards