Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:13 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 10:30 pm 
Total Newbie

Greetings,

I have a TeraStation (HD-HTGL). Hereinafter, I refer to this enclosure and motherboard numbered as 1. It was connected to 4 × 500 GB HDDs. The HDDs were configured to RAID 5.

Some weeks back, after a safe shutdown and subsequent restart, the following was observed for an unknown reason:

• No network connectivity
• STATUS/FULL blinked red continuously for all 4 HDDs
• Unable to conduct safe shutdown
• Needed to use power switch at back of unit to shut off

Upon restart, the following was observed:

• STATUS/FULL showed steady green for all 4 HDDs
• Able to conduct safe shutdown

Depressing INIT while the unit was on resulted in the usual, instantaneous all-LED-flash. It did not, however, change the lack of connectivity. It is as if the OS is running as it always does, but neither recognized that there are partitions defined on the HDDs nor communicated over the network.

Contacting Buffalo Technologies Technical Support, I was instructed to depress INIT while turning the unit on. I was told that that action places the unit in EM. That also did not change the lack of connectivity. I was then advised of 2 solutions: obtain another board or connect the HDDs to a Linux system with hardware RAID board.

I opted for the former. I purchased a HDD-less TeraStation (HD-HTGL). Hereinafter, I refer to this motherboard numbered as 2. I transplanted mobo 2 to enclosure 1, so as to change only 1 variable, and leave the others constant, e.g. the power supply, fan, cables, faceplate, etc. The following was observed:

• DIAG blinked red continuously
• POWER off (referring to LED; unit was still on)
• Fan was off

To ensure that mobo 2 was functional, I removed the 2000 GB HDD cage and replaced it with a HDD cage composed of 4 × 160 GB HDDs. These had formerly been configured a long time ago by HD-HTGL to RAID 5. The unit started fine.

I removed the 640 GB HDD cage and replaced it with the problematic 2000 GB HDD cage. Depressing INIT while the unit was on or while powering it on to go to EM was to no avail.

I disconnected HDD 1. It resulted in the same state with the following observed difference:

• STATUS/FULL off for HDD 1
• DIAG blinked 6 ×/period

I disconnected all HDDs. The following was observed:

• Now responsive to TS Client

I downloaded stock firmware 2.16.

I reconnected all HDDs. The following was observed:

I downloaded stock firmware 2.16.

After that, mobo 2 with the 2000 GB HDD cage was now fully responsive. The following was observed:

• STATUS/FULL blinked red continuously for HDD 1
• STATUS/FULL showed steady red for HDDs 2—4
• DIAG blinked 1 ×/period

Given that the array was considered by the OS to be almost full, the steady red STATUS/FULL LEDs for HDDs 2—4 is understandable. It is unknown why the STATUS/FULL blinked red for HDD1. Perhaps it was due to my powering up the unit with it disconnected that one time.

I proceeded to copy data off the array using MS RichCopy at its default settings, 1 thread of directory search, 3 threads to copy each found directory object, 1 thread for each of the those objects.

~36 hours later, the following was observed for the unit:

It appears the OS hung. Upon power on, the unit was fully responsive.

I reinitiated copy.

~6.5 hours later, the following was observed for the unit:

• DIAG blinked red continuously
• ACTIVITY blinked green occasionally

Upon power on, the following was observed:

It appears that mobo 2 is now in the same state as mobo 1. Somehow, whatever problem that originally occurred is now duplicated.

I have depressed INIT. I have forced EM. I have done both with all HDDs connected, HDD 1 disconnected, and all HDDs disconnected.

I then swapped in the 640 GB HDD cage. I have depressed INIT. I have forced EM. I have done both with all HDDs connected, HDD 1 disconnected, and both HDD 1 and 2 disconnected. I am about to disconnect HDD 3, then 4. I do not anticipate a different behavior.

I could try to purchase another mobo. Without knowing what the root cause is for this problem, however, it may be duplicated yet again, yielding another unresponsive mobo. This solution is also a waste, as the 2 mobos I already have seem to be functional, but just not network-responsive for whatever reason.

1) Would anyone have any further ideas I could try to trick the mobos into accepting a firmware download to flash memory?
2) Are there other methods I should consider besides a new mobo or UFS Explorer to extract the array data?

Thank you all in advance.

Best regards,
Benjamin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:19 am 

Quote:
I transplanted mobo 2 to enclosure 1, so as to change only 1 variable, and leave the others constant, e.g. the power supply, fan, cables, faceplate, etc.

Quote:
It appears that mobo 2 is now in the same state as mobo 1. Somehow, whatever problem that originally occurred is now duplicated.

You know Benjamin, this doesn't help you but why did you move at first the mobos instead of just switching your 4 500GB from TS1 to TS2? My thinking is you had a corrupted HDD startup partition in your original drives, then moving the mobos (instead of the drives) caused it to duplicate the issue. On your description I don't see you connecting or checking each drive one-by-one. (I know you did 1 and 2) if the system is failing while copying, you are likely to have ONE BAD HDD, and since you have RAID5, it could be any one. Next time you get connectivity, try to Telnet and run a diagnostic on the drives. (Search here in the forum for the commands to do it)

If you did finish saving your data (or most of it), I would format and rebuild the raid on TS2. But I am willing to bet one of your 500GB is bad.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:46 am 
Total Newbie

ciscokidinsf wrote:
…why did you move at first the mobos instead of just switching your 4 500GB from TS1 to TS2?
“ciscokidinsf”,

Pardon me. I was trying, but couldn’t follow, and didn’t understand the question. Could I trouble you to rephrase :?:

As for the other suggestion, I’ll most definitely use the telnet- and failsafe-capable firmware, if I ever get remote access again. That, at this point, appears to be a big if. I’d also try to get an emergency boot disk done too.

First things first: again, if anyone can offer ideas to “trick” the mobos into responding to TS Client, hence, accepting a firmware download, they’d be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Best regards,
Benjamin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:09 pm 

Do you still have the extra motherboard? Would you be interested in selling it?

Thanks,
Garrman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:14 pm 
Total Newbie

“garrman”,

Both cases, with their HDD cages removed and their mobos in-place, were decommissioned and saved. Even though the mobos remained unresponsive, they were saved in the event, however improbable, that a solution is discovered. If being reminded that they are unresponsive and you still want a mobo, we may PM each other on this forum.

I take it you know of a way to get such a mobo responsive again? Whether you do or do not will not sway me in keeping/selling a mobo, so I ask you to be honest. I am merely looking for help to return what was once a capable NAS to full functionality.

Thank you.

Best regards,
Benjamin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:14 am 

Hi Benjamin,

My interest is that I believe that the mobo is fine (functioning correctly) but there is an issue with the hard drives. My TS exhibited all the symptoms you describe. When I was able to isolate the "bad" drive, the TS is now operational and stable.

If the mobo is in fact bad, I have access to a scope and tools to try and repair it.

Thanks,
garrman